Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well firstly, I would never claim to be “on the left” in D&D because of the gatekeeping.

So yeah, you guys have not the slightest loving clue what the show is about, it’s just another one of your markers of tribal loyalty to hate it. You probably think the show is mostly hippie-punching, which is projection.

It’s not a great show, arguably not even a good one, but this green eggs and ham nonsense is stupid. There are plenty of things for you to hate that you’re presumably even passingly familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mellow Seas posted:

Well firstly, I would never claim to be “on the left” in D&D because of the gatekeeping.

So yeah, you guys have not the slightest loving clue what the show is about, it’s just another one of your markers of tribal loyalty to hate it. You probably think the show is mostly hippie-punching, which is projection.

It’s not a great show, arguably not even a good one, but this green eggs and ham nonsense is stupid. There are plenty of things for you to hate that you’re presumably even passingly familiar with.

wow you got really about stuff in your own head again. it's great to watch

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, just saying, “listening to this show would definitely make me physically ill, oh by the way I’ve never listened to it” is a classic idiot move.

FWIW I’m sure you would all hate the show very much. So carry on assuming that you would, there’s no functional difference.

Anyway, I’ve contributed to a derail. I apologize.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Hi, yes, I don't need to listen to the podcast to tell you or How are u? that the sentiment they expressed regarding people canvassing for Biden in lieu of voting for him was loving stupid. It is not a "marker of tribal loyalty" to dislike people saying stupid things. Your reason for enjoying their show being "talking poo poo on Trump" is as much a marker for loyalty to your own "tribe" in that regard.

I do not need to familiarize myself with their particular poo poo to tell you it stinks.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
the shibboleth is not grimacing at the mere mention of the name jon, john or j'onn

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I don't hate PSA, personally. It's not worth hating. I'm pretty sure it's the same warmed-over tripe liberal punditry I've heard ten thousand times in throughout my entire life, and I'm not interested in wasting my time on it.

Frankly, I've already spent too much time talking about it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"Tribal" is dogwhistle for "my ideological opponents are irrational and ganging up on me and acting like a bunch of [racial expletive]s!"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Juul-Whip posted:

"Tribal" is dogwhistle for "my ideological opponents are irrational and ganging up on me and acting like a bunch of [racial expletive]s!"

"Markers of tribal loyalty" is the new "virtue signalling" except it's also accusing people of not being civilised and rational enough

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
guys it's okay, I've come to save the day.

I listened to a few eps of the bad podcast, I even hate read the Pfifer book.

I can confirm, it's all trash.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

sexpig by night posted:

guys it's okay, I've come to save the day.

I listened to a few eps of the bad podcast, I even hate read the Pfifer book.

I can confirm, it's all trash.

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's like, genuinely a lovely podcast too, even if I didn't hate their politics. Like half of it is just them doing the SNL 'topical stand up comic' joke of saying something that happened and going 'wha...hahaha...what even? I mean...is this guy serious?' They've got no riff skills, sad.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I listened to every PSA from back when they were keeping it 1600 to about early 2018.

I stopped when they had like 4 guests on Lovett or Leave it concern trolling about how many people of color would lose their jobs in the insurance industry if we had medicare 4 all.

It was the final straw, but it was clear that they sucked for a long time.

For example, there was the book that came after 2016 that talked about Jon Favreau and how he was going to help write Hillary's convention speech and gave up because the campaign was so bad and didn't even know why they were running. Which was certainly at odds with how he would describe her campaign on the podcast.

Or the time Jon Lovett was part of an episode where they interviewed Hillary about her book, and it was a bunch of softballs and letting her talk poo poo about Bernie all the time. Now, this wasn't the main issue. The main issue was that later Ronan Farrow, Lovett's partner, wrote a book about how at around the same time here Hillary was trying to get him to kill the story on Weinstein. This is perhaps the best example of what PSA is: defending the democratic establishment line even when Hillary is trying to destroy your partner's career because of a serial rapist.

PSA is MSNBC for younger people. It is 100% the democratic party line, vote blue no matter who, even if they occasionally say the minimum to maintain their credibility.

Mellow Seas posted:

You've spent two years now concern trolling about how you totally support Bernie, but the bros are too mean. Don't stop now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

joepinetree posted:

I listened to every PSA from back when they were keeping it 1600 to about early 2018.

I stopped when they had like 4 guests on Lovett or Leave it concern trolling about how many people of color would lose their jobs in the insurance industry if we had medicare 4 all.

What number did they settle on?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

joepinetree posted:

You've spent two years now concern trolling about how you totally support Bernie, but the bros are too mean. Don't stop now.

First of all, you have way more experience with the Jo(h)ns than I do, so thanks for sharing. I had never heard any of their anti-M4A lobbying, for instance.

Second, I did support Sanders, and I contributed to his campaign. I was a little reluctant to support him at the beginning of 2019, because he’s so god drat old and I figured there had to be another candidate that could represent those ideas - as it turns out, there wasn’t one, so I supported him from, I guess March 2019 until he dropped out of the race.

Those are facts; believe them or not. rear end in a top hat.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

First of all, you have way more experience with the Jo(h)ns than I do, so thanks for sharing. I had never heard any of their anti-M4A lobbying, for instance.

Second, I did support Sanders, and I contributed to his campaign. I was a little reluctant to support him at the beginning of 2019, because he’s so god drat old and I figured there had to be another candidate that could represent those ideas - as it turns out, there wasn’t one, so I supported him from, I guess March 2019 until he dropped out of the race.

Those are facts; believe them or not. rear end in a top hat.

oh, that bit in particular is great. Jonny boy himself was a founding member of United States of Care, an organization dedicated to preventing M4A by any means necessary, and shared that position with such luminaries as "the republican strategist who said Paul Ryan's ACA repeal bill was insufficiently brutal to the poor."

their politics peaks out from behind their branding only rarely, but when it does, you are quickly reminded why they avoid taking stances on issues at all costs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Let's keep this on-topic and dial down the personal attacks (preferably to zero) and podcast chat.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

Mellow Seas posted:

Why do you assert that others don't know what the show is about, when you yourself apparently don't know?

Personally, I know through exposure because my dad absolutely loves them. So count me in as another dude who has "way more experience with the Jo(h)ns than" you do and can confirm that they're awful.

Main Paineframe posted:

Let's keep this on-topic and dial down the personal attacks (preferably to zero) and podcast chat.

Then in this sort of situation you need to punish both the responders and the instigators. "I know some people think that Biden doesn't deserve their vote because of their views on morality, but what if they just ignored those and did the canvassing work for him anyway? That's the best of both worlds! Thanks!" is incredibly insulting. People do not respond kindly to insults, and letting the kid going "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you!" go on unopposed is not going to help them be calm. (I would PM you, but I lost that in the Sanders toxx and am not paying again just to state this.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mellow Seas posted:

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm sorry, but you've kind of disqualified any and all points you've attempted to make about how people are reacting with this. This is the definition of bad faith arguing. You're dismissing people's complaints as pure ignorant projection, while also admitting you're largely ignorant of the content that brings up those complaints. Do you not see how kind of stupid this stance is to take when you admit yourself you don't actually know that much about it?

In case you didn't look up more, The Pod Jons all have their fingers in a lot of really gross pots, especially awful Orgs made just for Democrats to have something to triangulate away form progressive ideas from (See, US of Care). The 'cool reasonable conservative' host they had but got rid of awhile back ran a consulting firm that did a lot of work for a lot of bad poo poo. Like for the former GWB administration people working on facebook's executive boards helping turn criticism against the companies practices by calling it antisemitic and the like among many other horrible poo poo. One of the jons has a huge stake in indiegogo which gets a huge chunk of its donations (And thus their direct profits) for medical bills (because out healthcare system is hosed) and has always been very vocally against M4A for some strange reason.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 17, 2020

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

I'll keep down the personal attacks, but the idea that someone who is disgusted by the thought of voting for Biden should not vote but volunteer is absolutely ludicrous. That argument is solely an attempt to troll this thread, and it has no place here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Probably the best way for me to help Biden's campaign other than voting for him (which I won't do), is not phonebanking or canvassing for him. Because I think lying is wrong, so anything I say can only hurt him.

"Why should I vote for Biden?"
"Have you seen the president? He's a rapist war criminal child kidnapping turbocorrupt senile old rear end in a top hat who tweets too much, it's a disgrace to the country!"
"So Biden is not those things?"
"Uhhhh...He will tweet a tolerable amount."

"And that's why you're voting for him?"
"Oh God no I'm not voting for him, Biden's a monster. But would you mind?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea if I phone banked for biden I'd probably not care enough to lie and just go 'look Biden's likely said the n-word less than Trump, isn't that all that we Democrats want at this point', so if anything I'm helping him by doing nothing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

World War Mammories posted:

Then in this sort of situation you need to punish both the responders and the instigators. "I know some people think that Biden doesn't deserve their vote because of their views on morality, but what if they just ignored those and did the canvassing work for him anyway? That's the best of both worlds! Thanks!" is incredibly insulting. People do not respond kindly to insults, and letting the kid going "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you!" go on unopposed is not going to help them be calm.
This. It was clearly a poo poo stirring troll post

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Phonebanking honestly probably doesn't matter that much for poo poo like presidential elections anyway, if you want to do that kind of stuff finding a state legislature primary or even a city council race to do it in will make a more meaningful contribution.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pod Save America is the only legacy of the Obama administration.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've listened to some PSA. Listening to people discuss politics in a way that refuses to acknowledge the fact that the Democratic Party and most Democratic politicians are harmful actors opposed to left-wing goals is deeply off-putting.

An analogy that might make sense to the people who enjoy it - how would you feel about a show that treated the Republican Party and most Republican politicians as being generally good (or at least not outright harmful or malicious)? I imagine that listening to that would probably make you pretty angry! Except in a way liberal-aligned media can be even more infuriating, because it takes nominally left-ish values and treats the Democratic Party as being a good faith advocate for them.

edit: Basically it is difficult to listen to political commentary that treats awful people and ideas seriously.

It is like reading an en exceptionally bad D&D thread that you can't respond to. All the frustration and none of the catharsis.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 17, 2020

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Pod drat America is truly the only good podcast with 'Pod' and 'America' in the title

it even makes sense as a pun, like why the gently caress would you want God to save America anyway unless you are, at the bare minimum, an establishment Democrat

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Ytlaya posted:

I've listened to some PSA. Listening to people discuss politics in a way that refuses to acknowledge the fact that the Democratic Party and most Democratic politicians are harmful actors opposed to left-wing goals is deeply off-putting.

An analogy that might make sense to the people who enjoy it - how would you feel about a show that treated the Republican Party and most Republican politicians as being generally good (or at least not outright harmful or malicious)? I imagine that listening to that would probably make you pretty angry! Except in a way liberal-aligned media can be even more infuriating, because it takes nominally left-ish values and treats the Democratic Party as being a good faith advocate for them.

edit: Basically it is difficult to listen to political commentary that treats awful people and ideas seriously.

It is like reading an en exceptionally bad D&D thread that you can't respond to. All the frustration and none of the catharsis.

I'd guess that a great swathe of PSA listeners would in fact be OK with a show that treated the Republican Party and most Republican politicians as generally good, if misguided

evidence: media in the liberal Democratic mold like the West Wing or Madam Secretary go to some effort to characterise at least some Republicans as appealing and Republican Party institutions as flawed but not malicious - the West Wing of course emerged in a particularly triumphalist post-Cold-War liberal context, but Madam Secretary ran 2014-2019 and still adheres to that outlook

this probably speaks to a fundamental difference in the liberal vs left political aesthetic today...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The mfs didn't even get the reference in their original Keepin It 1600 title.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What you need to know about fervent PSA listeners is that in their live shows Keith Ellison was booed and Tim Miller was applauded.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

joepinetree posted:

What you need to know about fervent PSA listeners is that in their live shows Keith Ellison was booed and Tim Miller was applauded.

lol, for what? The domestic abuse allegations that ended up showing Ellison was the victim?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

lol, for what? The domestic abuse allegations that ended up showing Ellison was the victim?

They asked him about 2016 and he said that it wasn't rigged but it also " “wasn’t fair that one candidate in the primary had the prerogative to appoint staff–we should just admit that!”

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the presumptive nominee, who still has yet to be introduced to the concept of color like he's an extra on Pleasantville,

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

joepinetree posted:

They asked him about 2016 and he said that it wasn't rigged but it also "wasn't fair that one candidate in the primary had the prerogative to appoint staff - we should just admit that!"

truly beyond the pale, a bad faith argument that doesn't deserve respect

lol, I noticed that How are u got probated, except that it wasn't for his disingenuous bullshit post in this thread, but for an entirely separate troll an hour ago - who could have predicted that such a titan of thought would stir poo poo again? meanwhile, one can still gaze at the wasteland of punishments for daring to take offense at the extremely good faith position "I know that your moral principles don't actually matter to you and you won't mind discarding them." this is the type of tightly moderated d&d that I crave.

anyway, hawkins or la riva? currently leaning howie but that could change!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think Howie is more likely to achieve critical mass to stir conversation about how Democrats got stabbed in the back by leftists, and if that isn't your goal then why vote? But La Riva isn't even on the ballot in my state so I haven't had reason to give her any serious thought (which isn't untelated to the previous point).

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

sexpig by night posted:

yea if I phone banked for biden I'd probably not care enough to lie and just go 'look Biden's likely said the n-word less than Trump, isn't that all that we Democrats want at this point', so if anything I'm helping him by doing nothing.

Indeed. This is one of the things that really aggravates me to no end about the USPOL thread. Anytime a person makes a point about how the parties are similar you have a bunch of people sarcastically saying "the parties are the same! the parties are the same!". Its annoying because it adds nothing to any conversation. No one thinks the parties are exactly the same but the fact remains we have two right wing pro corporate parties. Yes the republicans are worse but by how much. Lets say you have 100 dollars in your bank account and one group will take 90 of it and another group will take 98 of it. Yes one group is objectively worse, but in the end it doesn't really matter because both groups are bad enough that if you are poor losing any amount of money will be a huge hit on your life. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact those posters have some comfort in their life and can afford the energy to think about things beyond where their next meal is coming from or how they are going to afford their meds, or what they can do about their kids birthday this year.

I guess what I am trying to say is there are people saying that if you tacitly approve of a party that is getting closer and closer in nature to the bad party they will only ever get worse. This is displayed by how the party handled Bernie, a person that actually wanted to help people. Am I wrong? Am I missing something? Sorry I just read USPOL while I am working and I don't have time to post about the bad takes I see that aggravate me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
There are also uspol posters to whom it genuinely matters that a Democrat is elected, like people with precarious health situations who benefit from the ACA, or another example I can't think of but might exist.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

The corollary to that are the people whose health and well being is beneath the concern of electoral politics and for whom Democrats genuinely provide no benefit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

There are also uspol posters to whom it genuinely matters that a Democrat is elected, like people with precarious health situations who benefit from the ACA, or another example I can't think of but might exist.

The greater point that ManBoyChef appears to be making is that any sort of criticism of Democratic politicians or policies, no matter how valid, gets brushed aside and dismissed by posters who go "How can you possibly say the Democrats are bad? The Republicans are far worse!" over and over, not realizing that Democrats can still be bad even if the Republicans are far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't get any insurance from aca, too poor. I did have to pay like 60 bucks because I didn't have insurance one year though