Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Has accelerationism worked anywhere, ever? I can think of a few places where it failed spectacularly right off the top of my head. The most famous of course being the slogan, "After Hitler - Us!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
How do you square that with the fact that the Democratic Party has been moving left for the past 20 years or so? Everything I've seen during my lifetime suggest that electoral success creates room for movement to the left. I mean right now Biden is leading the pack after we lost to the right wing. Isn't that the exact opposite of what you think should happen?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

bloom posted:

Noted left-winger... Joe "Cool Trump" Biden?

Prester Jane posted:

You mean the out-of-touche douchebag who walked straight off the set of Mad Men/is proud of talking down to the younger generation about how their problems boil down to just not wanting to work hard? That is your evidence of the party moving left?

ryonguy posted:

This, for loving real. Seeing mother loving Biden as a left candidate and not the same goddamn rightward lurch by Dems in response to the Republicans turning into Nazis in all but name is willful stupidity.

I must have phrased that poorly because my point is that after a loss, the current front runner is MORE right wing than last time. Biden is actually the democrat yall liked to pretend Hillary was. Meanwhile after 8 years of Obama the platform and stated policies of the primary candidates had moved to his left. I've never seen any indication that being out of power will make the party better and every indication it will make it worse.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Hillary wasn't to the left of Obama.

I specifically said "the platform and stated policies" to try and avoid this poo poo. Those things are irrefutably to the left of Obama but I guess we can get into a mind reading competition where we declare that they're all a cover for eating babies. And even if he did not win, Sander's relative success was a far better showing for the left than you saw in previous primaries.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 18, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
In much the same way threatening to stab yourself is a good way to get your kids to clean their room. Protip!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

twodot posted:

Oh! I can play this game!

A better strategy to get your kids to clean their rooms is offer rewards for having a clean room.

Now you explain the better voting strategy when it comes to anti-abortion Democrats.

Try to primary them if possible, if not they are 99.9% likely to still be better than the alternative and the more dems in power the more it empowers non-poo poo dems elsewhere in the party.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

That "if possible" is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

It is. I'm sorry, but places like West Virginia suck and shits like Manchin might be the best we can get in those scenarios. There are too many lovely chuds out there and they will crawl over broken glass to vote us all into a mass grave. It's the best we can do for now unless we decide to embrace :killing:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
If the voters are with you you win. If they aren't you don't. The leadership has vastly less power than you like to pretend because it let's you skate on the fact that you don't represent the voters as well as you wish.

If the lovely dem wins the primary its because the voters are poo poo and want to wallow in it. Try and change the voters somehow but don't pretend that Americans aren't getting exactly what they vote for. When given a choice between DeLeon and Feinstein, voters decided that "Yes, I DO want more of this poo poo."

Note this post is about primaries and not referring to poo poo like gerrymandering, stupid tiny state senators or the electoral college.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 18, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That would mean plenty of Dems are down with a group of people that is disproportionately PoC not being able to vote glad we could explain to you that the Dems are okay with disenfranchising voters

By Dems you mean democratic voters, who 60% do not want to extend the franchise to felons. This is less poo poo than republicans who are 85% opposed. There is no secret wellspring of leftists ready to jump forth if only we have the correct opinions. We go to war with the army we have, which is moderate and lovely but still better than the alternative and can hopefully be pushed in the right direction before we all die.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

mate you cannot possibly believe that this overwhelming bias against prisoners springs forth ex nihilo in the minds of the voting populace. Do I have to repost that Bors comic about gay marriage approval?

I believe it springs forth from the fact that a lot of voters are vindictive shits who want to brutalize people they judge as "deserving it". That "tough on crime" bullshit is a bottom up phenomenon where being horrible is rewarded by the voters. America is poo poo because it's people are poo poo, and our leaders are reflective of that.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

And do you think people are just naturally "vindictive shits"? Like do you think that is just a genetic reality of white people????

how do you not realize this is the result of carefully cultivated ideology. How do you not see the trash can you are feasting from??????????

No, but I also don't think the people inculcated into being shits can change. At least not on a statistical level. The hope for the future lies in there being less terrible white people, both in terms of lowering the % of terrible and the % of white. Both of these things ARE happening, which is why I still remain relatively hopeful.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 18, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Phone posted:

it’s not a binary, you don’t have to choose between the fascists and the fascist-enablers

like a valid solution to the trolley problem is to challenge the constraints and tell the proctor to gently caress off

It literally is. And not choosing helps whoever you were least aligned with.

I like your AV btw, reminds me of stuff from https://rekall.me/.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 18, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

not only does this speak to a horrific level of cynicism regarding one's fellow human, not only does this belief of demographics as destiny stand on incredibly fraught ground, but you do realize that the time required for these terrible white people to die out will result in the death of billions, right?

this sort of ideology is only useful for the smug satisfaction of watching everything descend into hell.

Yes, millions and millions of people are going to die because a large enough percentage of the population is poo poo. I am not smug or satisfied about this but "That sounds horrible so it can't be true!" is not actually an argument. You will not change this by not voting, you will only make things worse faster.

quote:

who could have possibly expected people to be less than thrilled with the dichotomy of fascists and fascist enablers?

The thing is, that as poo poo as things are they CAN ALWAYS BE WORSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

I forgot this thread existed, so I'm gonna respond to this even though it was from a few pages ago.

Democratic politicians, like all politicians, respond to threats that could cost them their jobs. This is why it makes more strategic sense to get mad at Nancy Pelosi than it does to get mad at Mitch McConnell. McConnell is objectively worse and more harmful, but he doesn't give a poo poo. And he rightfully doesn't give a poo poo, because his constituency isn't going to vote him out for anything that he does. Someone like Nancy Pelosi is still reachable and that's precisely because there's a very real threat that her constituency will abandon her. We can control Nancy Pelosi to some degree, but we can't control Mitch McConnell at all.

Leftward movement in the Democratic party isn't because of electoral wins, and it's frankly insulting to the people who have put in real effort on the ground to suggest that it is. The Democratic party has moved (painfully, and with great resistance) leftward as a response to popular movements within their base. They're moving left because they're under attack from the left and they've reached the limit of what they can win by appealing to to the right-wing of the party or to swing voters.

I'm not sure we're really disagreeing here? In my view, all the labor and agitation is necessary to show/generate the weight behind them that can translate to electoral success. Demonstrating that success builds on itself. Conversely, failure makes people, not just elected official but voters too, look elsewhere and usually that's to who won (the right 99% of the time). It's an almost entirely bottom up point of view.

And even if their work doesn't translate to electoral success, that doesn't mean that their point of view isn't correct or that they shouldn't advocate it.