Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Ytlaya posted:

I've listened to some PSA. Listening to people discuss politics in a way that refuses to acknowledge the fact that the Democratic Party and most Democratic politicians are harmful actors opposed to left-wing goals is deeply off-putting.

An analogy that might make sense to the people who enjoy it - how would you feel about a show that treated the Republican Party and most Republican politicians as being generally good (or at least not outright harmful or malicious)? I imagine that listening to that would probably make you pretty angry! Except in a way liberal-aligned media can be even more infuriating, because it takes nominally left-ish values and treats the Democratic Party as being a good faith advocate for them.

edit: Basically it is difficult to listen to political commentary that treats awful people and ideas seriously.

It is like reading an en exceptionally bad D&D thread that you can't respond to. All the frustration and none of the catharsis.

I'd guess that a great swathe of PSA listeners would in fact be OK with a show that treated the Republican Party and most Republican politicians as generally good, if misguided

evidence: media in the liberal Democratic mold like the West Wing or Madam Secretary go to some effort to characterise at least some Republicans as appealing and Republican Party institutions as flawed but not malicious - the West Wing of course emerged in a particularly triumphalist post-Cold-War liberal context, but Madam Secretary ran 2014-2019 and still adheres to that outlook

this probably speaks to a fundamental difference in the liberal vs left political aesthetic today...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU