Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you're trying to guilt trip individual voters, you've already lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuoProQuid posted:

im trying to imagine being so brain broke that i can’t distinguish between a government of white nationalists and a government that implements some, but not all, of the policies i like

e: https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

the government of white nationalists or the government that desperately appeases white nationalists at the expense of the people who voted for them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Isn't that literally what Hillary stans said about Bernie voters?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Okay but if they don't need me in order to win, why are you hellbent on convincing me to vote for the status quo

Liberals think they can neg leftists into submission

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tom Guycot posted:

Why is always people like you think everyone on the left only does things for attention or performative reasons, and doesn't actually care about the world? You never see moderate republicans think the far right are insincere, and just looking for attention, heck you never see democrats think that about the far right either. They may insult them, but they never doubt their intentions. With the left though, it always comes back around to attention seeking.

Is it because anyone with an ounce of principles and conviction makes them not feel like the "good guys", and reminds them they're not on the ethical path? Is it because recognizing someone genuinely cares, would make them feel they don't, make them feel guilt?

I think its that. I think people don't like a reminder they aren't the good guy in the story, that anyone is "better" than them. It must all be fake, and performative, it must be unrealistic and something to roll your eyes at, because the alternative is a blow to the ego.

Pretty much, yeah. Liberals thought they could be the hero forever in the end of history without having to give up anything, and react extremely badly to their fantasy being punctured.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Lesser of two evils' voting has failed at literally everything it purports to accomplish.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, even if you're right, outright telling people they need to vote for the lesser of two evils over and over as both evils get less lesser and lesser every year is the reason you're in this goddamn mess and millions of voters just stay home.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Liberals refuse to understand that the ointvwhere you're browbeating individual voters and going 'oh, so you want a Republican then? Huh? Huh?' You've already lost. This is the attitude that's even more effective voter suppression than poll tests.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, the whole result of 'vote blue no matter who' is voters tuning out and giving up before it's outright giving up the game that the Democrats don't feel they have to offer literally anything to voters aside from being token opposition, and are willing to give up even their token support for social justice the moment it's even the slightest inconvenience to themselves or just too much bother. It's the attitude of an insufferable, entitled aristocrat and the reason Trump won.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mellow Seas posted:

People seem to be talking past each other. I think we all get that there are major problems with Democratic leadership and priorities. How, though, does not voting for Democrats in two-party elections work to fight that leadership? On the finer grain we’ve been discussing, how does not voting for the Democrat help women keep and get rights?

In theory, by making the Democrats have to improve their loving game by going 'Lots of people who should have voted for us didn't, how can we get them to vote for us? Maybe if we protected their rights?'

Though in practice it looks like Democrats vastly prefer to throw tantrums about how those ungrateful voters aren't giving them the votes they are entitled to, and/or permanently write off increasingly larger segments of the country as Just Too Racist to bother with. (while at the same time desperately trying to get suburban racists to vote for Democrats for some reason)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People don't vote for Democrats because they look at the Democrats and go 'gently caress it, I could be at home masturbating/watching Game of Thrones/desperately trying to catch up on sleep and this poo poo isn't worth it'.

The bare minimum is not enough, especially when Democrats can't deliver that. They are not advertising a product that people want.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This thread is even worse than the old 'lesser of two evils voting' thread with the completely worthless centrist id being just laid bare, goddamn.

Like holy poo poo, what is wrong with you people?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Calibanibal posted:

Interesting. Why do you all think Republicans being in complete control will be any better?

They already are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Calibanibal is loving with you

Poe's Law is in full effect in here.

We need a catchy slogan... 'You don't win votes with centrists!' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx59zLqBRuI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Really does feel like a turning point, all the centrists are either fading quietly into the background or having their faces slough off Snatcher style and turning into partisan ghouls who are well on their way to voting Trump out of sheer spite that's the only thing getting them up in the morning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

At the same time, they're right back where they were after 2016: Arguing the practical merits of something that empirically failed in practice. What's changed is that it's harder to blame all their failures on the leftists who are out of power.

Which sure as hell isn't going to stop them, mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Liberals don't actually know or care what leftists want, and don't want to put any effort into understanding. They think they're being generous by coming up with blatant lies and telling us to shut the gently caress up and vote for their rapist like we're supposed to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Someone compared the current liberals to 2007 era conservatives and it really seems spot on. Hell, it's probably a good chunk of the same people.

Republicans already completely discarded their version of :decorum: after Trump proved they didn't need it. But for liberals, :decorum: is literally all they have, even though the Republicans are demonstrably able to strangle them with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lol congratulations Democrats, you've gotten people seriously considering third party votes in the US of A

It cannot be understated just how much you've screwed the pooch. A Biden candidacy is unsalvageable. Your party is dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Biden supporters really aren't acting like they have this in the bag anywhere near as much as they say they do. I think they're getting louder and more vitriolic to drown out the inner voice telling them they've made a big mistake.

Remember Romney's 47% comment? Biden's career consists entirely of those.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 2, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Disnesquick posted:

It's more that they feel entitled to win.

Which seems a fuckload better strategy than the Democrats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The cognitive dissonance actually does finally seem to be driving liberals crazy as they've had to openly abandon every single one of their stated principles. Idpol was supposed to use guilt and outrage to force compliance but it looks like it's turning on them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

icantfindaname posted:

We can at least take solace in the despair and anguish liberals are going to face when Biden wins but can’t do anything and is blocked in Congress and public opinion this time not just by the right but by the left as well. The enforcers of DNC orthodoxy like Josh Marshall are not going to have a fun time under President Biden

And this is their best case scenario.

I think deep down the white liberals are thinking 'We don't really know why black people support us, don't question it or they might stop!!!'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Democrats absolutely love ceding ground to the Republicans and letting them define the discourse, inventing brand new weaknesses for the Republicans to score free points on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, do you actually think that a Biden administration will give leftists anything? You've seen the way they treat Bernie supporters, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The liberals know that Biden isn't going to win. Not even the bots are excited. They're getting buyer's remorse but they've convinced themselves Bernie is Emmanuel Goldstein.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bernie desperately tried to stop the Democrats from throwing the election to Trump, but they put more effort into making sure Trump wins than they ever did into beating him.

I think they expect leftists to shut up and get in line because, as usual, it's what they did. Trump won, and he is their new normal, they don't even know how to oppose him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If the Newsweek article is any indication, the establishment Democrats know that Biden is going to lose, and they're already managing expectations accordingly.

Literally all he runs on is 'beat Trump' and they don't expect him to be able to do even that. Why the hell should Bernie supporters have any expectations?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Biden has made it entirely clear that the Democrats never actually wanted any of the things they campaigned on.

What amazes me is the staggering attitude of entitlement that liberals have. That Bernie voters are your serfs whose votes are your rightful property. You should be begging desperately but your only tone is haughty, pedantic, patronising demands.

This is the Democrat party's hole they've dug, it's no one's fault but theirs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I would not join any cult that would accept me as a member.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At this point, it's Biden voters that come off as protest voters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pod Save America is the only legacy of the Obama administration.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trump was the best thing to ever happen to Democrats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nonsense posted:

Yeah the various official party organs are doing dismally in fundraising, but somehow Biden and the party is gonna make it a cross the finish line when 95% of the party believes the seriousness of this virus while the opposition does not. I seriously question anybody going out to vote in November.

The fact that they literally can't conceive of doing volunteering themselves, even when they have nothing else to do and believe it's of dire importance, does make it telling.

Mind you, it seems at the moment centrist liberals are the most touchy and volatile people on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Somfin posted:

That's not what I said at all. If you are genuinely curious, ask! Just don't speak from a position of ignorance and expect to get away with it.

I feel like it seems a common theme in centrist liberal attitudes is that when they're confronted with arguments that they don't have a ready-made rebuttal for or an attitude they don't understand, there's an extremely reluctance to actually try to understand it, to engage in any discussion or just ask about what people actually want and believe.

Where this comes from, who knows, it could be the need to save face and be seen as the learned and correct steward of conversation rather than a mere participant, an internalisation of the 'it's not my job to educate you' attitude despite that being a pretty clear ideological suicide note, or a need not to be seen consorting with the enemy... whatever the case, it's a pretty toxic attitude.