Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Somfin posted:

This one's not about what he's done but about what he will do, which you can project forward from how he treats people who disagree with him. And from how protests were handled under Obama.

In the worst case, I'd rather have a little time before full open fascism takes hold to figure out a possible course of action, than have no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Somfin posted:

I'd like to know what you think Biden will actively do to stop the rise of full open fascism. This isn't a Fisher King situation where you put the right person in power and the world becomes whole again, change means work and work means changes and Biden has already been openly against changes. Is Biden pledging to stop building the big stupid metal border wall that everyone hates, for example?

Fascism, like slavery, is something that you are either actively against, or you are for, even if that support is passive neutrality.

I'm not arguing that Joe is not fascist (here), Joe is more cautious and playing the long game with his fascist plans, and more time to do something about it is better than less time even if both choices for president are fascists. Joe will slow fascism automatically without doing anything simply by being less 'bold' than Trump.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Counterpoint, by being less "bold" about it, people will resist it far less than they currently resist Trump's more open version of it.

Voting for Biden is the accelerationist option.

Accelerationism generally refers to lots of conflict and everything being on fire, not most people accepting fascism passively.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Joe is the accelerationist option because it burns away what remnants of leftism exist in the Democrats to create The Republicans 2.0, which leaves the lane wide open for the GOP to pursue Trumpism to its obvious conclusion.

If that's true, then it's already over for the left in the Democrat party no matter who wins.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Correct! For the left, electoral solutions are no longer available to us. Engage in protests and build mutual aid networks locally, these are our best bets for the near future.

Fortunately there's no way for these organizations to know which boxes I checked on my ballot. And voting by mail is pretty quick so it's not really taking much time away from those other things.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Falstaff posted:

I know I've mentioned this before (in this thread, even), but if you believe the Dems are still worth working with/through, there's also the consideration of which faction(s) your vote is empowering. The Dems aren't a single, unified front, like any major party anywhere in the world they're a bunch of bickering wings and networks of alliances and adversaries, and the wings represented by Biden gain prominence and power within the party with his success - and have their influence and power harmed if he somehow snatches defeat from the jaws of victory this November.

Repeated losses is one of the big reasons why the Clinton wing's power has been steadily waning after 2000.

Sounds like another 'harm reduction' consideration. Whichever wing of the party gains prominence, it's sure as hell not going to be The Squad, yeah?

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Somfin posted:

First off, don't use their celebrity name when you're discussing them as a wing of the party, that's for people who don't actually engage in politics beyond Twitter ownage.

Second off, what are the actual politics of "the squad" in your view? Do you think they're an actual faction of the party? How much influence do you think that set of views has?

Sorry if that was reductive, my question wasn't really about them. I just meant, which wing would be the least bad to rise in power? Or should we hope for no one faction to be too powerful so there will be more infighting? I'm just not really following the logical conclusion of what Falstaff is getting at if the party as a whole is almost all terrible.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

The Sean posted:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "if that's true.." Could you elaborate, please?

It means I don't agree but I'm not going to argue the point at this time. To go any further with what I was talking about though would fall under Posting about Posting so I decided not to do that either.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

The Sean posted:

This line of thinking is intellectually harmful and I suspect you're deluding yourself or you knowingly don't want to say what you really think because you don't want to be confronted and just want to maintain your views.

In a sense yeah, I decided I'm not well versed enough in the particulars to bring anything new to the discussion that's been going on for thousands of pages across various threads, and it was probably a bad idea to dive into it. My views on exactly how dangerous I think Joe Biden's term in office will be are very tentative until I get more information (from direct sources, not internet posts). Somfin is right that asking people here to explain stuff to me is dumb.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 2, 2020