Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Watching neolibs defend Biden the same way chuds defend Trump is depressing.

It's like finding out everyone you were booing with was actually saying "boo-urns"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

If Joe Biden wanted me to vote for him, he should've been a less lovely candidate and also not done any rape. It's pretty simple.

I mean, it's pretty easy for me to figure out why I'm not voting for Trump. I apply the same standards to Biden and the answer is pretty clear. I'm not going to sit here and do harm reduction algebra to figure out which bumbling conservative rapist I'm going to vote for, I'll just write in Bernie.

e:I wouldn't be doing this for like most of the other candidates that were in the running. Joe is uniquely bad among them. I could have voted for a Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Warren, Yang, etc. None of them have credibly raped anyone. None of them has an entire political career founded on just being wrong the first time, every time. None of them are Bloomberg.

Frankly it seems like the party's issue. They're the ones who keep manufacturing consent and protecting an eminently flawed candidate. The onus is on the party and the candidate to suss out a winner and motivate me to vote. In reality they just seem to expect my vote by default? Nah. Sorry, I don't think Dems get a pass just because Orange Man Also Bad. Party line voting is what hosed this country up to begin with.

I have family members I don't talk to anymore because they're proud Trump voters, and when I pressed these people (who have wives and daughters) on Trump's (or Kavanaugh's)... whole thing with women in general they said some of the same poo poo that neolibs are shrieking now about Biden's accuser. I'm not about to change my mind on this poo poo now because the guy doing it is a Democrat. Suck it up and deal with it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 31, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

For this analogy to work it would have to be that the five are dying of thirst and for some reason four of them are trying to pool their money to buy a single expired can of diet coke.

And Ernie was trying to get them to spend $5 for permanent rights to a well.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The context for all of this being that we had three choices and for some reason eliminated the "no genocide" option first because it sounded a little difficult.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

We’d be in a better position right now if the ACA was never passed.

This has been my feeling as well. As per usual the core of the concept was just comprised of platitudes and the goal wasn't to solve the underlying problem but to get to ignore it for a while.

The Medicaid expansion at least demonstrated to me first hand why a public option would never work when every doctor I ever managed to see while covered under it treated me like a charity case that they didn't have time for.

e: this is all why I'm not at all moved by Joe's promise to shore up the ACA because even the word affordable in the name is a stupid loving lie to make liberals feel good about themselves for supporting it

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 10, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

smoobles posted:

I mean, yeah. Biden sucks but if you believe in climate change, you HAVE to logically conclude that Trump and his supreme court appointees are an existential threat to humanity.

Seems like getting him out of office is important IDK

This would track if the commitments Joe Biden's website have made to climate change didn't just slightly push the problem back until all the boomers are dead. I single out his website because I'm not sure he knows what's on it.

We can't even get him to promise to end fracking, just "no new" because remember: nothing will fundamentally change.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

How are u posted:

Considering the state of the polling it seems that, as of now, a landslide of people are ready to crawl across broken glass to vote for Joe to defeat Trump. Considering that, I think it's just fine if the small minority who can't bring themselves to vote for Joe exercise their vote in a different way.

A couple of months ago one of the Pod Save guys had a nice thought that I liked: If you can't personally bring yourself to vote for Joe but recognize that he still needs to beat Trump then vote how you need to, but consider helping Joe win by volunteering some time to phonebank or canvass for his campaign. Best of both worlds, for those who can't personally vote for Joe.

Why in the gently caress would I phonebank for a credibly accused rapist? I'm not trying to be abrasive but you're basically dismissing the complaints against Biden as nothing, as something people can just get over or work through. No, they're loving deal breakers.

How have you missed the loving point so bad? The problem with Biden is that people like you, who "didn't want him", are willing to give him a pass instead of demanding he be replaced, out of some "higher calling" of defeating Trump. It's not just about withholding my precious vote, it is that I am actually repulsed by the man Democrats have had consent manufactured for.

e: Then again, it would be typically liberal to expect everyone to just immediately and absolutely compromise their core beliefs to work in the middle. As if your only problem with the left is that they have standards they just won't discard. If my problem with Joe Biden is that I don't think he's fit to be president for any number of reasons why would I canvass for him? I don't know what that podcast is but it sounds like idle bullshit ensconced in a bubble of cognitive dissonance.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 16, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Hi, yes, I don't need to listen to the podcast to tell you or How are u? that the sentiment they expressed regarding people canvassing for Biden in lieu of voting for him was loving stupid. It is not a "marker of tribal loyalty" to dislike people saying stupid things. Your reason for enjoying their show being "talking poo poo on Trump" is as much a marker for loyalty to your own "tribe" in that regard.

I do not need to familiarize myself with their particular poo poo to tell you it stinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

WampaLord posted:

The greater point that ManBoyChef appears to be making is that any sort of criticism of Democratic politicians or policies, no matter how valid, gets brushed aside and dismissed by posters who go "How can you possibly say the Democrats are bad? The Republicans are far worse!" over and over, not realizing that Democrats can still be bad even if the Republicans are far worse.

I mean, this line of reasoning is frustrating because it's fallacious. Lets ride the relative privation train all the way to oblivion - "it's better than Trump!"