Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Somfin posted:

This one's not about what he's done but about what he will do, which you can project forward from how he treats people who disagree with him. And from how protests were handled under Obama.

And of course the 1994 crime bill that Biden helped write explicitly funded 100,000 extra street police officers*, which in subsequent years terrorized poor and minority heavy neighborhoods.

Perhaps the federal government funding 100,000 LEOs to crack down on street crime is not the exact same as the federal government sending hundreds of federal LEO to crack down on street protests. But I am not really sure it compares favorably.

*https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...wn/?arc404=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like it seems a common theme in centrist liberal attitudes is that when they're confronted with arguments that they don't have a ready-made rebuttal for or an attitude they don't understand, there's an extremely reluctance to actually try to understand it, to engage in any discussion or just ask about what people actually want and believe.

Where this comes from, who knows, it could be the need to save face and be seen as the learned and correct steward of conversation rather than a mere participant, an internalisation of the 'it's not my job to educate you' attitude despite that being a pretty clear ideological suicide note, or a need not to be seen consorting with the enemy... whatever the case, it's a pretty toxic attitude.

I think it has to do with a deference to authority that (to me) seems inherent to liberalism. If authority has not already engaged with the argument, when you do, you run the risk of saying something that authority disagrees with.

I am guessing it is learned behavior, as I remember it very well from school and how that particular behavior was a key part of getting (consistent) good grades. Raise your hand and parrot banality from the book. I see it in corporate culture as well (nod your head and don't question the boss' idiocy), but I don't think it comes from there.