Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I'd give it just a 4 based purely on how fun it is to play, but its impact on video games as a whole should be taken into account. It's not just a good game, it's an important game. There was nothing like it at the time, and most of its imitators fell far short of it for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

It invented an entirely new method of interacting with video games that is still vital to this day. It's like if you watched Citizen Kane you might be like "this was a good movie but why do people think it's the best?" but then if you have someone explain to you how much you take for granted about cinematic grammar was invented by Citizen Kane you'll understand. I also think the hub is still really good design!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Accordion Man posted:

I've only really played the DS remake, would that count?
Yes. That was more of a port than a remake. Be merciful about the small screen size though.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Very important game for reasons already stated but it’s not perfect. Though I’d argue that it’s still the best N64 game

Not my first choice to play in 2019 in comparison with other games of the era. Doesn’t hold up very well on multiple playthroughs, ect, ect

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
3/5

Note: This is for the DS version.

64 DS was overall a good game, though I'm more partial to Sunshine and Galaxy. 64 is historically relevant to the medium but I think it has aged due to the nature of gameplay and it how it has more room to improve on itself. I do like being able to play as Wario, Yoshi, and Luigi, the latter being my favorite.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

When we got a N64 we only had Mario 64 and Lylat Wars/Star Fox. As such we played Mario 64 over and over and over again. It's decades later and I still occasionally bust out the Wii to play it again.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's probably a 5, if only because it did so much right that developers have stuck with those ideas or have come to similar conclusions. The motion always felt really good, too, which a lot of games still get wrong.

Hwurmp posted:

I have to take marks off for saying "man" instead of "a man"

Analysis in the past decade or so suggests he did really say "for a man" which fits the idea of looking back at old media

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
4 / 5

First the bad, what there is: Its a lot of just more of the same throughout the game, platforming, and some of it can be kinda tricky.

But oh man what a historic game, and what a fun one to boot. Nintendo hasn't really surpassed it in some aspects since. When the Crash Bandicoot developers saw Mario 64 at a trade show, they were about ready to commit suicide.

All 3D games before this absolutely sucked, and while 3D games continued to kinda suck for awhile as we had to learn proper dual-stick and camera controls, Mario 64 took the whole industry by leaps and bounds single-handedly.

Also contains a pretty massive amount of content, and a really really really good soundtrack.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
4/5

This was the first 3D Platformer to be worth a drat at all and would remain such for a while, and Mario's mobility wouldn't be surpassed until Odyssey turned him into even more of a parkour demon. People have done incredibly ill-advised challenges in this game, ranging from the actually impossible 100% coin challenge to Vicas playing it with his drat feet. It also introduced the world at large to Actual Treasure Charles Martinet and that's not something you can take away from it ever.

The only things letting it down are the fundamental hardware limitations and some jank mission design from time to time.

I don't remember enjoying a mario game between 64 and Odyssey so that's how my scale's tilted

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

3/5

Note: This is for the DS version.

64 DS was overall a good game, though I'm more partial to Sunshine and Galaxy. 64 is historically relevant to the medium but I think it has aged due to the nature of gameplay and it how it has more room to improve on itself. I do like being able to play as Wario, Yoshi, and Luigi, the latter being my favorite.

The other characters are a DS addition alongside the hats associated with them, the power flower, the minigames, and 30 more stars if that influences your score

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Great idea for a thread!
I cannot join in this one as I never played it longer than twenty minutes about two years ago. Looking forward to games I can join in with :D

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Barudak posted:

The other characters are a DS addition alongside the hats associated with them, the power flower, the minigames, and 30 more stars if that influences your score
Oh, I know. I'm familiar with the days of yore of the rumors of playable Luigi and ridable Yoshi in the original.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

precision posted:

5 if you've never played Sunshine, Galaxy or 3D World, 3 if you have, so overall 4

Agreed, the movement was clunky and later iterations of Mario addressed it very well. I'd say not as good as say, Spyro in that department, but way better than crap like Bubsy 3D.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

super sweet best pal posted:

Agreed, the movement was clunky and later iterations of Mario addressed it very well. I'd say not as good as say, Spyro in that department, but way better than crap like Bubsy 3D.

Does this mean you're voting a 4? If so please can you make it clear in your post, otherwise I might miss it will scanning through to collate results.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It was cool at the time but future Mario games took the formula and perfected it, there's no real reason to go back and play it again if you never have - but if you DO go back, you won't have a bad time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's still a few days to go before I line up our next game so I figure it would be fun to use this time to proper deep dives into the games we're looking at. So question for everyone: what's your favourite SM64 world and why?

For me even though I think the last few worlds have some real standout moments my favourite will always be Big Boo's Haunt. The ghost houses in SMW were such memorable levels with how much they deviated from the normal formula while creating these mindbending puzzles and Big Boo's Haunt is such a perfect adaptation of that into the 3D space. It's so sneaky that you can't even get to it the normal way, you have to hunt out the Boo in the castle garden just to find the entrance. And then when you get there it's full of secret nooks and crannies, it retains the off-kilter feel and it's got THAT loving PIANO. When I played Galaxy a few weeks back one of the disappointments was that the ghost galaxies didn't really feel special any more. So that's mine but what about yours? :D

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Bob-omb battlefield - best looking, feels good to play, the boss is exciting to get to and feels higher effort than most of the others. Just a stellar first level.

Princess' secret slide - Like nothing else ever made up to that point. Extremely cool, so bold to have the confidence in a mechanic to showcase it like that. Just plain inspired honestly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh yeah, I always went to the Princess slide the second I was able to unlock it :D

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Week 2: 25th May - 31st May

Super Mario 64 kicks off the thread with a very respectable benchmarker of 4.38 :toot: Next up it's...

Computer Gaming World posted:

The most intense gaming experience available today.

PC Gamer UK posted:

Already done more to establish the PC's arcade clout than any other title in gaming history.

Next Generation posted:

The most talked about PC game ever – and with good reason.

PORTED TO ALMOST 20 PLATFORMS

AVERAGING 84 ON METACRITIC

ONE OF THE FIRST M-RATED GAMES

POPULARISED AN ENTIRE GENRE

2015 INDUCTEE INTO THE VIDEO GAME HALL OF FAME

DOOM
(PC, id Software,1993)

It's one of the most important video games of all time. Without it we wouldn't have franchises like Call of Duty or Halo. This week we go back to a simpler time when the pinnacle of FPS gaming was a big mute marine, the entire forces of Hell and a whole lotta guns. Doom was a hot injection of adrenaline that revolutionised LAN gaming and gave John Romero his entire career. It set a template that still lasts to this very day but we have know how good was it, really?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

5. Endlessly playable, still holds up today, a marvel of it's time code and gameplay-wise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

5/5

DOOM is one of those very rare games alongside Tetris and Diablo 2 that remains entirely playable in its original state two decades later. It's hard to understate the influence of DOOM on the first-person shooter genre, the PC as a high-end gaming system, and the modding community that still keeps it relevant. A timeless classic!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

DOOM remains a excellent game even so many years later, and that's even before taking into account the decades of custom maps and mods out there from the still-vibrant modding community. If you care about FPS at all and you've never tried it, you owe it to yourself to give it a go. At the very least you'll have a nice break from the creatively-bankrupt current crop that can't escape the vortex of 'modern military.'

Also it has fun cheat codes

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Originally built to the limits of what was technically possible, this actually gave Doom one of its greatest advantages: Simplicity. It's fast, efficient, and does exactly what it needs to without waste. This lends it the ability to be used as a baseline which further mods and commercial releases would build upon and expand.

This is all, of course, without going into just how transformative it was to gaming. It may not have been the first FPS, but it was the first massive one. iD's resident tech wizard, John Carmack, made some incredible coding voodoo for this title and the release of its source code afterwards set a high bar for the industry in regards to communal advancement.

I played through Doom 2 for the very first time while I was also playing 2016's DOOM on release and I still feel like Doom 2 is (just barely) the better game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
4/5

I played Doom for the first time a few years ago and once I set up WASD and mouse controls the game felt like it barely aged. It lacks some of the iconic stuff like the Super Shotgun so it felt a little bare to me but the level design was mostly pretty good. I actually like 1 over 2, 2 has too many annoying gimmicks and I dropped off because of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5/5

The only issue with it is that it doesn't use modern controls and you can't really dock it points for that considering. It plays like a dream and doesn't have anything getting in the way of what it's good at.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Great atmosphere, level design, enemy and weapon set. Still one of the most fun games around after 10,000 years. As a kid, this was the only game besides System Shock that I loved playing despite always dreading what was in the next room. Like its successors Marathon, Hexen and Quake its simplicity and focus, although key to making it as tight as it is, means it can get repetitive after a while

edit: Just played through this again because Sigil came out and have to change my vote to 5

pieuvre armement fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 3, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

(but a low 5 ok)

I gotta save the 5 for Quake, which was only as good as it was because of everything that Doom brought to the table. Doom is a near perfect game that, once you've set up WASD/mouse, plays better than most modern FPSs - better than most of the late 90s/early 200s FPSs too, and that era was defining for the genre.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 26, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sorry bud, you gotta pick either 4 or 5

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rarity posted:

Sorry bud, you gotta pick either 4 or 5

5 then, but a begrudging one. I'll edit my post.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It was the first "real"game i ever played during a bring your daughter to work day with my mom. I still remember the codes. But the guy who let me play it, also let me try heretic, and i immediately became a fan of mechanical depth. The keys were cool, but even with mouse look, there's not much to the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
5 with zero nostalgia, because I only started playing it right before DO4M came out and haven't stopped since, thanks to mods and such. Even setting aside its legacy, it's a hell of a game and actually stands on its own nowadays due to how differently it plays from the modern FPS.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Doom is a loving 5 through and through. I would say Doom 2 is a 6, personally, but when it came out Doom was revolutionary and it is still incredible to this day. Name me another game with as long and healthy of a modding scene as Doom. The only thing you can fault Doom for is that the bestiary is lacking in a few ways that Doom 2 alleviates but, counterpoint, Doom has a stronger level set than Doom 2 (though sometimes not). Doom is loving great.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Doom was a game that I essentially forced myself to play back in the day because everyone else was playing it. Despite many attempts to give it and other FPS games of that era a chance I could never get more than a third of the way through without losing interest. The shooting was fine, but the maze-like level design would quickly wear me down.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

3/5

It inspired an utter shitload of masterpieces and was itself a hell of an evolution, but I'm not rating it on that basis here, because

gently caress me I got SO LOST in the latter half of the game. I always felt that the pacing of the map design fell off hard later just because of key hunts and the like; how much of that is kid me being bad at games I don't know, but I gotta stand by it.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 26, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quote not edit

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

like a few others mentioned, DOOM is great but gently caress that level design. i'm the best directional navigator I know of, in videogames or real life I've never once been lost and i remember maps after barely a minute of study. i can find my way around as well as anybody, is what I'm saying.

DOOM in it's late portions is loving madness to navigate, all the same.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Probably the only 5 Ill give in this entire thread. Knee Deep in the Dead is the single best set of FPS game maps ever made and it has exactly the right amount of story for a video game. Thats without touching howgoshdarn influential the game is across design, art, and somehow most of all sound. God made the camel so its voice could be in Doom.

Edit: Everyone who got lost in Doom, youre aware there is an automap, right?

It also has the best expansion pack ever made, Doom II

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 27, 2019

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

A massive leap forward in technology, gameplay, A/V design... hell, pretty much every aspect of gaming. Mainstreamed the PC as a gaming platform. Popularized mods and custom maps. Popularized multiplayer deathmatches. Transcended the nerdy world of video gaming and became a cultural phenomenon in the same league as Tetris. And it still holds up pretty well today with modernization mods. (I highly recommend Brutal Doom and the metal music mod :rock:)

The maze-like levels are understandably a source of controversy. But between the automap, 2-D floorplans, and just turning on no-clip whenever I got frustrated, they didn't bother me too much. Not enough to deduct a point, anyway.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
4/5 I never got into it as a kid, but I'm a big fan of doom 2016, and E1M1 is a loving classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

5/5. How many games that are that old are still fun to play now? Doom is a game that whenever it's mentioned I kind of want to play it - and sometimes do. And it's great. Even though I know the levels inside out it's still fun to run through them.