Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

bushisms.txt posted:

3\5

Spiteful rehash of MoHAA after the ea split, with a worse engine. Popularized the iron sights for console, which meant "realism"in those days. With the loss of mobility from mohaa, it was a more rigid slowed down affair. I'd rather play dod.

4.5/5

I'll be the contrarian here, and say that it's a better game in almost every way than Allied Assault, and I think I can fairly say that after playing way too much of both as a kid, and still playing way too much in the past few weeks even. Allied Assault has some great moments, but the missions between Overlord and Schmerzen aren't that great (besides the tank level) and the level design feels pretty barren these days. Call of Duty, in contrast, manages to keep up it's high intensity gameplay and firefights throughout most of the campaign, and it's focus on firefights and overwhelming sound design is pretty spectacular. The iron sights aren't nearly as bad in CoD, weapons still have good accuracy without using them (compare CoD1 SMGs to CoD2 SMGs), and you are actually just as mobile in CoD as in MoHAA, if not more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Ah, I never played multiplayer, so you’d definitely know better than me on that front. And allied assault’s music is incredible, cod couldn’t match it.

But in other areas? The problem with being revolutionary is that you quickly become obsolete.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Rarity posted:

How Good Was It Really: A Weekly Poll

Here's the deal, there have been so many video games to come out over the years. We're talking at least two hundred video games. Maybe more! Some of these games we look back on with fond memories, some we have forgotten but all deserve the chance to be looked back on in a different light. Times have changed. Some games have aged badly and look different in a present light, others were ignored in their day but have stood the test of time. In this thread we're going to look back on the games of the past to judge with the fair and measured eye that only goons can offer. Each week we'll do a deep dive on a particular game to decide just how good was it, really?

So here's how this works. Every game will be rated between 1 and 5 and at the end of the week I'll tot up the average to give the game its final score. All votes must be whole numbers, we don't accept any of that decimal poo poo round these parts. And finally the most important rule of all, every vote must be combined with at least one sentence to explain your reasons. This thread isn't just about numbers, it's about inspiring fun and spirited conversations! It's a pretty simple concept so there aren't any more rules than that, let's crack straight on with things!

(And if you have a game you think we should discuss then shoot me a suggestion by PM and I'll add it to the list!)

Rankings

1. Super Mario 64: 4.38
2. Doom: 4.22
3. Street Fighter II: 3.94
4. Grand Theft Auto III: 3.28
5. The Sims: 2.8
6. Gears of War: 1.97

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ikanreed posted:

3/5

If you're new and screw up the jump into that spider web, you have to climb all the loving way back up the whole goddamn tree

git gud, deku scrub :colbert:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i will avoid scoring, and instead say this is my favorite game that i've never been able to play. i'm super slow and defensive in strategy games, and CoH is a little too fast paced for me. i can recognize it's an excellent game though, and i'm still going to play it again when i can

also, boston accents