Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

2/5

I've only ever played SF2 as a <10 year old kid in an arcade with no experience with Street Fighter in particular or fighting games in general and from that perspective it sucks real bad. You see a bunch of guys doing sick uppercuts and shooting fireballs and poo poo and think "yeah, this might be worth 1 of my 6 quarters". So you put a quarter in and then on the character select screen you pick Blanca because he's the only character who isn't just some guy so he's probably the one that's best at shooting fireballs. Then when you're playing you just sort of slowly shuffle around doing lame, ineffectual looking punches and kicks instead of all the cool stuff you saw on the attract mode and then you die and it's over.

I gave it a point for its historical importance and because people still play it today for reasons other than simple nostalgia, but I sure never had any fun with it. It also established the lovely, almost universally followed precedent of requiring you to do annoying inputs to execute any of your characters' special moves. I'm probably never going to play any fighting game of that type at a level beyond "just barely good enough to see the entire story in Injustice" because I didn't build up the muscle memory as a kid and now that I'm an adult with limited gaming time doing so isn't really a worthwhile use of it.

Best character is Blanca because he can probably shoot fireballs.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3/5
Soild, perfectly playable game but made very little impression on me aside from "lookit all that juice!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dark Souls is probably my favorite videogame series/subgenre. I really liked Demon's Souls but thought it was going to be a one off thing, so hearing it was getting a spiritual successor was incredibly cool (its also a spiritual successor to the underrated Lost Kingdoms 2. And I guess the accurately rated King's Field). Dark Souls didn't disappoint either. Compared to Demon's the gameplay was improved, the graphics were better, and the game was probably something like 5 times the size. Going in blind and discovering stuff like Ash Lake felt incredible. The genre conventions are probably well known enough at this point that you couldn't really replicate it. Finding, say, the untended graves in DS3 was cool but it didn't really compare. I still don't think I can name a game with a better realized setting and atmosphere.

As for its legacy, the number of non-From Software copycat games is actually surprisingly small (compare to Assassin's Creed for example). There are a decent number of good ones though. IMO Salt and Sanctuary, Nioh, The Surge and Ashen are all worth playing if you want more Souls. I think the bigger impact it had was more philosophical. It's easy to forget but when it came out mainstream games were nearly all incredibly hand-holdy and easy. I think Dark Souls's difficulty is often oversold, but you DO have to git gud to some extent, and I think seeing a game like that be wildly successful and popular in the gaming community gave developers and publishers the kick in the pants to actually make games challenging again. If you're the type to post in this forum you can probably still beat most AAA games no sweat, but 2011 AAAs make 2019 AAAs look like I Wanna Be the Guy.

If you asked me a year after it came out it would be an easy 5 out of 5, but the subgenre has advanced quite a bit since then. I think the sequels and Bloodborne all have significantly improved gameplay which makes it tough to go back to. I know I was one of those people who scoffed when others claimed that the game was "clunky" and countered with "it's deliberate, you're just not used to this kind of game". But no, it was clunky (see also: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite). I played it a few months ago right after beating Sekiro and was honestly wondering if something was wrong with my controller up through the gargoyle fight. There's also the widely acknowledged fact that most of the game after O&S is kind of poo poo in comparison. And a lot of the online stuff besides basic co-op/PVP and messages never really worked that well.

So in the end I'd say 4/5. Hugely influential game, and I don't think the storytelling, exploration, and environment have been topped by any of its successors. But they HAVE improved the gameplay quite a bit to a degree that makes DS tough to go back to for me in a way that other games in the genre aren't. Oh yeah, and the Dark Souls community is low key one of the shittiest gaming fanbases out there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's an RTS that came out after the WC3 map editor made 95% of the gaming public realize they didn't like actual RTSs, so I'm not anticipating a lot of responses here.