Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rather Watch Them posted:

Excuse me, but Bobson Dugnutt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential, I was at a Brewer game during the Hoffman era (the good season). Seeing Hells Bells in person was awesome as all gently caress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun facts, a few SABRmetrics have made their way to everyday usage.

• The aforementioned WAR. There's two ways of calculating it, one formula from Baseball Reference, and another from Fangraphs, denoted bWAR and fWAR respectively.
  • On-Base Plus Slugging, or OPS. Average has some flaws in terms of showing how good a batter is, namely it ignores walks and doesn't account for the type of hit. On-base percentage, or OBS, includes walks in its total (both consider an error or fielder's choice to be an out for the batter, since an error assumes the batter would be out anyway, and a fielder's choice means the fielder could get the batter out but decided to get someone else out instead). Slugging percentage divides the total bases (or how many bases a runner safely reached on a given hit) by at bats, which also ignores walks. By combining OBS and Slugging, you get a good feel for how good a batter is, by combining how good a batter is with getting on base, with how good are they at hitting for power. The best hitters hitting around 1.000 or higher on the season.
  • Walks-Hits per Innings Pitched, or WHIP. A pitching stat, basically shows how many base runners a pitcher allows on average per inning.

OPS is probably the most popular, then followed by WHIP. The MVP tends to be the OPS leader.

It shouldn't surprise you that the league leader in all time OPS is Babe Ruth, followed by Ted Williams. Mike Trout is 9th all time at the moment, a hair below 1.000

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 4, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The grossest pitches of all time to me are a curveball that looks high and suddenly drops right into the zone, and the high fastball that looks like that curve but nope, not dropping.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

habeasdorkus posted:

There's a reason the very best contact hitters of a generation only manage a .330 career batting average. That's getting a hit about once every three at bats.

I hope you're talking about Ichiro, who Mo himself said he hated facing. He was that good. :colbert:

Ichiro, for the record, was the guy who opened the door from Japan to America for baseball. Well, let me clarify that. Before Ichiro, you'd occasionally get some people moving from the Japanese league to MLB, and rarely the other way (usually washed up players). Ichiro was the first player to come from the Japanese leagues and have significant success here in the US. He's a sure-fire, first ballot hall of famer.

And he hit everything. Didn't matter, it was going to be in the outfield for a single.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 11, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have questions.

I don't want answers :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

Zizek the solution to realizing you created an abomination against God and all of mankind by bringing Twitter into being is not to go and create more hideous things.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have more questions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheMcD posted:

Yeah. After we exit the stargate, the spitball guy disappears. Not that we need it, because we're not a cheater.

So you're saying "gently caress that" to that pitch?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That reminds me...

If Bobson is inspired by Mo, why the hell does he not have his signature cutter! :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheMcD posted:

Well, Bobson isn't inspired by Mo - that's just who I immediately thought of. Bobson is inspired by Brad Lidge, who was a slider/fastball guy, just like Bobson was.

The Yankees Closer was always Mo until a few years ago :colbert:

Fair enough

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheMcD posted:

The problem is you can't exactly write a story about Mariano Rivera failing and struggling to recover his old form.

I mean, that's just too unrealistic.

Also true!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tomanton posted:

I'm not 100% sure but wasn't Mariano Rivera also the last active player allowed to keep #42, after MLB retired it leaguewide in honour of Jackie Robinson? I think I watched the final Yankees game of a season once and there was a big thing about him coming out for his final save.

Also someone answered this for me in an OOTP LP but I've already forgotten, what sort of abilities favor closers/relievers over starters and vice versa? Stamina, number of pitches known? Someone mentioned starters tended to have much fewer pitches in their repertoire but beyond that I have no clue.

He was. Any player wearing 42 at the time of the league wide retirement was allowed to keep wearing it (until Jackie Robinson day allowed it league wide for one day, natch).

You also have it reversed on number of different pitches. Starters tend to have 4-5 pitches, relievers anywhere from 1 to 3, though if they are a converted starter, they may have more. Mo was a great reliever, as he really only had one pitch (the cutter), but was a horrible starter, because statistically, the OPS of the lineup shoots up the third time they see that pitcher (or why teams are going to the bullpen earlier these days). For other factors, it depends. Usually starters can go deeper in terms of pitch count, but they also get longer time off. Relievers tend to be an inning or two (or two days of 1 inning), then a day or two of rest before they can come back.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eh, you can SOOOOOOOOMETIMES get away with two pitches as a starter.

One of which has to be a true knuckleball though (the other has to be a fastball to catch the batter off guard)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goons giving Trout a nickname is probably one of the best things to come out of SA as a whole.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Man this LP...

goes places :dadjoke:

E: update previous page

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I was going to post that :mad:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thank you for the LP!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So why the only the knuckle-curve and excluding the traditional knuckleball (apart from Moose)?

RA Dickey, Tim Wakefield, and the Niekro brothers are shaking their heads in disbelief :v:

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 8, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheMcD posted:

~*radium code*~ shenanigans loving with everything by now.

quote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheMcD posted:

Well, it depends. In some dialogue, it was often with an exclamation point, but if you go back and check, say, the updates with the trivia questions, it's almost always with a full stop there.

They express different moods. The full stop is more low-key, just rejecting whatever the topic is without even getting excited about it. The exclamation point, meanwhile, connotes excitement. I guess I just subconsciously went with the one that wouldn't invite JEB! references.

Please clap.