Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

with an ace closer there's only one name to trust, and that's

Tim Lincecum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard that baseball was based on cricket. Is that true?

The short answer is that cricket definitely influenced baseball, but it's hard to say by how much and if it's enough to count as "based on".

Baseball's a weird sport to talk about history for, because the oldest real rule set, the Knickerbocker rules, is effectively a completely different game from modern baseball. In it, you weren't allowed to throw overhand, balls caught on one bounce were considered out, and there wasn't a set number of innings; you played to 21 aces (runs).

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

https://redbirdmenace.itch.io/the-closer

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I'm not gonna spoil anything other than to say we're still in the sane, reasonable part of the game

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

gyroball posted:

whispering: Just so everyone knows, it is possible to have each of the other team members in that scene, you just have to try REALLY hard for it not to be Risa

wait, really? I haven't gotten risa once in either of the playthoughs I did lol

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

wedgekree posted:

I am definitely following! Uhm, where can this game be bought on Steam?

https://redbirdmenace.itch.io/the-closer

not on steam, but can be downloaded for free off of itch.io

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

and I'm gonna post that as many times as I need to in this thread, it's a good game and gyroball deserves more downloads/players

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

As Cardinals fan, Cardinals Fans as a group unironically refer to themselves as the Best Fans In Baseball and are as insufferable as that implies.

SoftNum posted:

EDIT: Doesn't everyone say "the best fans in baseball" I think I've heard it on Cubs and White Sox radio.

the difference is that most teams use it as a marketing gimmick/ puffery, (bad) Cards fans believe it 100%.

there's also a history of some racist poo poo towards black players. While certainly not uncommon in baseball, the vitriol dexter fowler got for being poo poo was rough

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

TheMcD posted:

TheMcD's Baseball Stuff posted:
Batting order construction is one of the weirdest things in baseball. Everybody has some opinion on it, and there's not a lot of numbers to back up that any sort of construction has a major effect on winning from what I can tell. The best I've heard about is a theory called Bragan's Brainstorm, after MLB manager Bobby Bragan. He would place his best hitter in the leadoff spot and the rest of the team in descending batting average order. Note that this was in '56, so batting average was still important. If you wanted to do the Brainstorm today, you'd do it with OBP or OPS.

Anyway, back in 1966, calculations came up with the result that Bragan's idea, if used over the entire season, would get you about one or two wins more. Still, it didn't establish itself. The commonly perceived "meta" of lineup order goes as follows, to give a quick overview:

#1: "Leadoff". Goes fast, gets on base a lot. Supposed to get into scoring position quickly.
#2: Good contact hitter. Supposed to move #1 into scoring position or score him.
#3: The best all-around hitter on the team. Supposed to score #1 or #2, and get on base for #4.
#4: "Cleanup". Best power hitter on the team. Supposed to mash dingers and score #1, #2 or #3.
#5: Also a strong power hitter. Supposed to "protect" #4 - make it harder for the opposing pitcher to just intentionally walk #4 by having a strong hitter coming up right afterwards.
#6: Basically #5, but lesser so.
#7: Whatever's left.
#8: Whatever's left.
#9: If there is no DH, the pitcher usually bats here. If there is a DH, there is commonly a "second leadoff", a lesser version of the leadoff hitter that's supposed to set things up for when #1 comes back around.

Kami, as you can tell, disagrees with this, and indeed, modern sabermetrics have a different opinion of the "correct" lineup order (though I'll be damned if I know what that opinion is).

Theoretically the statistically ideal lineup goes something like this

#1: Best on base percentage
#2: 3rd best hitter
#3: 5th best hitter
#4: Best power hitter
#5: 4th best hitter
#6: best baserunner
#7: single hitter/whatever
#8: pitcher / random single hitter if in the american league
#9 6th best hitter if in national league, 7th if in the american league.

the real issue is that an optimized lineup is generally worth somewhere in the range of 10-15 runs a season, which is effectively one single win. This means that it's generally fine to focus a little more on things like streaks and managing egos than directly caring about the 4th best hitter always hitting 5th or whatever

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

mid 2015 I want to say? like june-augustish

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

spoilers the ending is amazing and probably not something you'd guess before it happens

but that's like, 3 major reveals away anyways? we've still got a decent chunk to go tbh

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

one of the most common reasons a pitcher becomes a reliever is that they only have 2 major league level pitches.

serious talk in a RL world where an ace closer suddenly learns a changeup and 2 curveballs the team probably tries him as a starter next spring training

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the mookie wilson dinosaurs connection is of course

unfortunately, that's not actually a real quote.
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/heres-the-full-article-that-viral-mookie-wilson-quote-is-from-and-by-the-way-its-fake/c-232173092

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there some reference to why WEEDDEMON420 is living in Plano despite being a Chicago player? Is he from there or something?

yeah arrieta grew up in plano

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

first thing, thanks for running this McD, it was really cool to see all the stuff I missed in my playthrough

secondly, serious question gyroball when are we getting a baseball dating sim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

thread isn't dead, here's an entry for that contest

https://youtu.be/C8YNiyXjyyo

So, original plan was to have voice over where I pretended it was just a normal game of baseball with IRL players, but that got corrupted somehow and I'm not rerecording it lol.