Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Gregor is great, but you nailed it with Mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Yapping Eevee posted:

As an Australian who has never actually watched any baseball, I think my brain tried to strangle itself while reading about the components of the slash line. But all the info about the personalities involved and the surprising amount of humour in the game's writing has definitely caught my attention. Best of luck with this one, TheMcD.

The slash line is really simple, honestly! Really!

So you have AVG, which is just batting average: how many times did you get a hit, divided by the number of your chances to get a hit*. OBP: AVG but let's just look at you getting on base at all (unless it's because the other team hosed up or sacrifice weirdness). SLG: how far did you actually get when you got on initially, ignoring walks again. (Single is worth 1, double 2, triple 3, home run 4. Not getting on at all is, obviously, 0).

Let's take a hypothetical, extremely handsome Australian player named Apping Yeevee. He only ever plays one game, because it turns out that he was playing under a false identity, but in that one game, he gets to the plate 4 times. He hits 1 single, 1 home run, gets walked once, and strikes out once.

His AVG is .666, because he got 2 hits out of his 3 non-walk appearances. His OBP is .750 since he got on at all 3 out of his 4 times up. And his SLG is (4+1)/3=1.666, because he got 1 home run (4 points) and 1 single (1 point) in his 3 official at-bats.

*which is "how many times did you get to be a batter" ignoring walks, being hit by a pitch, or hitting into an out that actually accomplishes something (sacrifice bunt or sacrifice fly, which are terms you don't need to know.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Swapping to the Bobson Bandwagon

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I present to you all, a gift:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KOP4mNAX5R0N_dODE6j2gHTK2oTXCIrhAQ0dEniaYFw/edit#gid=0

I highly recommend it

it's all the player names from the game whence dugnutt hails

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

gyroball holy poo poo

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

PEZ own, goddammit

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

I think now, for the first time, I understand Smasher's portrayal of THE MACHINE in the Super League.

This game is very super league, yes.

I haven’t checked on it in 2 years, I wonder if the macho men died yet.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Cardinals fans believe their own bullshit, more or less, yeah.

also the national media adores them without the self-awareness that comes with covering the yankees post-Jeter, and they're like the last bastion of "see, ~leadership~ is worth more than homers!" myth-making with their above-average catcher somehow achieving legendary status

Anyway, big fan of the Zork start, love the redbox>mailbox

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This really is baseball barkley 2, oh my god

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Fellis posted:

Zizek uses Applied Ontology to escape the game The Closer and enter our world. All fat bearded slovenian men are actually different instances of Zizek

Wow, way to spoil the ending of the game and our world at the same time

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

quote:

This is not the first #CrisisOfIdentity caused by @twitter, but it is the first one that has turned @twitter into a #chicken.

this line is where I started grinning and I didn't stop until the end of the update

my god, gyroball, this is amazing

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

oh my god are you going to save the world with a balk

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

the machine? more like

the terminator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Fantastic job, both by gyroball and mcd.

Also as someone who's been lurking and following the super league on and off since its inception as a spinoff of Smasher's 2003 cubs LP (blessedly outdated by 2016) I can second the rec for people to join it if they're interested at all in baseball stats, crazy storylines, regular attempts to break the system, and/or Eri Yoshida