Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Y'all realize this is a goon made game, right? From a former regular in SAS?

Hello!

I'm not sure what the etiquette of a creator posting in an LP is so I'm gonna stay quiet and lurk/watch but I definitely appreciate seeing this. Also, everyone feel free to make fun of bad things in the game (like forgetting to strip out the RPG Maker inventory so Moose has brass knuckles) even though you know I'm reading. This is the first game I ever even tried to make so yeah, it has some roughness around the edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

A very important irony that everyone needs to know is that I now make visual novels.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

whispering: Just so everyone knows, it is possible to have each of the other team members in that scene, you just have to try REALLY hard for it not to be Risa

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Zyxyz posted:

For a random RPG Maker game the music is consistently great, is it all original to this?

Yes! All the music is original (well, mostly, you'll see) and composed by my partner Jenny Gibbons.

swoops back into lurking mode

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Swooping back in from lurking to say that the meta RPGMaker hack was awesome and I started cracking up because, for just a second, even I wasn't sure I hadn't put in a hack to make that happen.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Was the DQ section too long? absolutely.

If I'd had the time, would I have made it literally the length of DQ I? absolutely.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Awesome job TheMcD, it was a lot of fun to read through and you did a FANTASTIC job explaining baseball stuff, which is important because the game was written to appeal to the most narrow audience possible. You made it accessible and that's cool, because accessibility was the last thing I was thinking about when I made it. I practically just made the game to appeal to a couple hundred twitter followers I had from SAS/my Let's Play Baseball Mogul threads, but then let it spiral out into something bigger. Really cool seeing it get a LP to bring that all full circle.

GrandmaParty posted:

This ruled. Thanks McD.

Hey gyro, looking back, is there anything you wish you could change? Or add?

This is a hard question. On one hand, I'd change SO MUCH. This was the first game I ever made, and I had no idea what I was doing. I also didn't realize that I was months away from picking up more complex engines and learning to code in a few languages. There is so much I could do now, from more engaging minigames to more full-on genre changes to an actual 2d/3d swap for the Gritty Reboot that I can't list it all.

On the other hand, doing all that I would really want to do is probably impossible. RPGMaker cut a ton of corners for me so I could write this story. Yeah, 2019 me could theoretically make this game in GMS or Unreal and really do some wild poo poo, but it would take WAY LONGER and it would never get finished.

My real answer is that I wouldn't put in the joke about The Closer being asked to steal the bat which was called out earlier in the thread. I think I was trying to lampshade a situation to make it *less* awkward, but ended up making it worse.

edit: I'd also fix the Moose revival/returning to the translator bug; I've been actively scouring some old hard drives for the last version of the project so I can at least do that

gyroball fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 8, 2019

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Occultatio posted:

Speaking of 2019 you, I was looking at the Woodsy Studio page TheMcD linked earlier and, while that's not normally my preferred genre at all, I have been crazily impressed by the writing in this game and am provisionally willing to give one of those a try. Which of those (or any other of your games) might you recommend first to people who loved your work here?

So I totally get if this isn't something you're into, but the honest answer has to be miraclr: Divine Dating Sim. I know. I KNOW! it's really funny I ended up making VNs. (We do PG-13 otome games instead of eroge so the irony isn't THAT strong). Still, miraclr is the only game we've done that was, well, silly in the way The Closer is. So if you don't mind Otome, it is largely the same energy as The Closer.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I should also bring up the supplemental stuff I did around The Closer because there are no references in game.

Mathenyquest (a Twine adventure about former Cardinals manager Mike Matheny): http://savethecloser.com/MathenyQuest/

Final Kroenke: http://savethecloser.com/kroenke/ (what if The Closer but football and also really short)

The Ascension of Randy Choate: http://savethecloser.com/choate/ (FMV game about turning a LOOGY into a starter, probably only works on Chrome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

The thing I'm my at surprised at is the complete lack of any references to Mariano Rivera. You would think a game about being the Yankees closer would have mentioned the greatest closer ever. I thought for sure that the game would end with Bobson learning his Cutter.

I knew from the get-go that the whole game would essentially live in Mo's shadow if he became a part of it. (Moose was originally Mo but I realized for the character I wanted Mike Mussina was far more interesting/far less problematic to make fun of his personality). I decided not to feature him as a character but there is a 42 jersey hanging up in the manager's office as a small shout-out.

I'm not entering the contest (I think Fedule said I could have a freebie, in which case hell yeah) but I'll help kick things off with an oldie from when everyone in STL wanted to put Matt Holliday (not a first baseman) at first base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3li3fn44mA