Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Holy cow. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I'm not 100% sure but wasn't Mariano Rivera also the last active player allowed to keep #42, after MLB retired it leaguewide in honour of Jackie Robinson? I think I watched the final Yankees game of a season once and there was a big thing about him coming out for his final save.

Also someone answered this for me in an OOTP LP but I've already forgotten, what sort of abilities favor closers/relievers over starters and vice versa? Stamina, number of pitches known? Someone mentioned starters tended to have much fewer pitches in their repertoire but beyond that I have no clue.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Nanomashoes posted:

As much as I enjoy this game, they may not want to go for this joke when the only black character is portrayed as a naïve simpleton with a natural talent for sports...
Yeah it's weird that the author has deconstructed jokes like these a few times instead of just... not making them?? Everything else about the writing owns though

Also, Moose notes that the Game 7 rain delay is rare. Games 6-7 of a World Series would take place around what, November 1st-3rd? Do they ever just play on if the weather sucks past a certain date?

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Well that owned, thanks for the LP. Some out-of-date thoughts:

- Sadaharu Oh got mentioned in passing and I think he had a pretty good baseball career? Won a national high-school championship (a huge deal in Japan) and led the NPB in homeruns for a long time, though I think there was a pretty big asterisk on it by the end

- The Cubs finally won the world series against Cleveland the season after this game was made after something like a 108-year drought, and it also guest starred a New York Yankees closer blowing the save in game 7

- That whole dragonslayer gag was incredible

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
That could be fun. Until actual entries come in I will lead off (ha ha) with the goon field trip I was part of to ULTIMATE BASEBALL ONLINE 2007, which I realized happened every bit of ten years ago wow am I old.

Everyone had to agree not to steal bases because it would soft crash the game and leave you with nothing to do except yell at the runner until you closed your game. The infielders could also crowd home plate so that not only was it impossible to see pitches coming but any line drive was caught instantly. Good times!

tomanton fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Lux Animus posted:

Here you go, thread and game - I made a fanart of "gritty reboot" Kaminari for you:

This is incredible.