Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lime posted:

georgia is just a really good screen reading font

i think for six figgie energy you want an older pedigree than 90s microsoft

garamond or baskerville maybe

garamond is for people who read. humanists, not stemlords.

i made my resume in garamond tho because i want to pretend my three terms of university history courses makes me an intellectual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
oh i forgot to :actually:
the word you're looking for is typeface, op. a font is a combination of typeface (e.g. garamond), size (12 points), weight (bold, semi-bold) and style (narrow, italic, etc).

also the real fucktard font is this abomination - apparently you can embed almost anything in font files these days, and there's even multi-level embedding like GIF-in-SVG-in-OTF. apple apparently lets you embed PDF in font files for some nice recursive bullshit. windows doesn't do font rendering in a kernel driver anymore, does it?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
every time someone writes helvetica in helvetica my broken brain compels me to look at the a to see if someone is trying to catch me in that nerd trap where you write helvetica in arial to annoy typography nerds

so congratulations, you got me

e: I'm just a poser tho, I don't really pay attention to fonts much, I just obsessively memorize trivia like this

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 20, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
now that we have high dpi monitors everywhere can't we just have our serifs back please

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the hinting is what costs money. a typeface is explicitly not copyrightable in the us, but the hinting is considered software and is thus copyrightable and can be sold.