Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t wait to rewatch this great and awesome show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just ignore Occ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
101 thoughts:

- Gorgeous from the get-go. The depiction of Will’s autistic psychic powers immediately sets it apart as a show with a gorgeous unique vision, and the fact he envisions himself as the murderer immediately presents you with one of the main themes, especially the way those shots are way more saturated than the rest of the show

- Laurence Fishburne is the best, but that soul patch is not.

- Asian coroner lady does not have tact.

- I’ve never read any of the Harris books or seen Manhunter/Red Dragon, so this was my first exposure to Will Graham as a character, and the script/performance really give you an immediate impression of what a nice but profoundly strange dude he is.

- Doggies!!!!

- “USE THE LADIES’ ROOM!!!” lmao I forgot all about that

- OH GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THE MOUNTING THING TOO

- Introduction of Hannibal with the first of many incredible-looking dishes on this show. Also, Mads!!!!!! I was already a big fan of him from European cinema stuff so when I found he was playing Hannibal I was insanely excited and I mean. He did NOT disappoint.

- Even in the first episode we get Hannibal helping Will in his own special creepy way. Will comes to his conclusions incredibly quickly but I guess that’s the thing you have to overcome in this show

- I’m beginning to think this bloke eats people!!!!

- Totally forgot that Will is kinda dismissive/contemptuous of Hannibal at first. Is it jealousy?

- Passive-aggressive lady on the phone while they’re looking through files is the best side character

- They really should have brought a team to Hobbs’ house huh. How is Will even allowed a gun? Stupid America.

- I will always be amazed with how much NBC allowed Fuller and co to show. Even the climax of this episode is bloody as hell!

While I always liked season 1 (I think it was just outside of my top 10 for the year), I remember never thinking this show became truly great until season 2. We’ll see how that pans out over the month, but this is absolutely a fantastic pilot. Definitely one of the best network drama pilots I’ve ever seen. So glad this is the first one we’re doing :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
102 thoughts!

- Man, Will sucks at shooting. oh it’s a dream

- Feel like you’d hurt yourself a lot in a room with that many antlers sticking out everywhere

- I forgot a lot of the Abigail stuff that happens in the show so that’s gonna be exciting to rediscover

- hey it’s Freddie Lounds! having just showered for....some reason

- Alana and Jack are a fun angel and devil on Will’s shoulder in these early episodes

- Hannibal’s office is super nice

- irl Will sucks at shooting too

- awwww poo poo we on some last of us poo poo now

- that’s some real subtle camera-hiding, Freddie

- CHRIST forgot about the alive mushroom guy

- Hannibal just heard the word fungus and he’s like “OH YEAH FUNGI HAVE THESE CONNECTIONS JUST LIKE THE HUMAN BRAIN”, dude’s on some high-level fuckery

- lmao Hannibal sees straight through Freddie’s bullshit

- why hasn’t Lara Jean Chorostecki been in more stuff? she’s so good

- I wish I loved anything as much as Hannibal loves feeding people human flesh without their knowledge. Mikkelsen’s little looks are so good

- really the only good part of the mushroom storyline is the corpse imagery. I guess that applies to a lot of these s1 episodes

- that’s a poo poo-ton of stuff in this guy’s trunk! sorry I don’t have a lot to say about this one

- Alana is a thankless character a lot of the time in this show but Dhavernas always puts so much into her performance and elevates what’s on the page

- WELL I sure forgot about the last few minutes of this episode

- The mushroom man/Abigail stuff is super rushed huh

- starting to think this Hannibal guy is a bit of an unprofessional therapist!

Overall this is a very classic second episode for a network drama, repeating a lot of the general premise without really furthering anything along. The mushroom corpses are a fantastic image but otherwise that plot really doesn’t have much going for it. This is definitely a weaker episode, but we also get the introduction to Freddie, who totally owns, and some good Hannibal moments still.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Voted for Hannibal s2. I’ll get back on track eventually, I promise!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Catching up and managed to watch eps 3-7 tonight. Can’t believe the angel corpses from episode 5 were allowed on network TV lmao. Mikkelsen is one of the best actors in the world and watching him toy with everyone is so loving funny and creepy.

I forgot all about quite a few things, including Miriam Lass and Franklyn, the weirdo patient who wants to be Hannibal’s friend. This season is definitely a lot better than I remembered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still behind but the fight in episode 8 is so good haha. I remember it feeling weird the first time but with everything else in the show it makes sense to establish this now. The whole “hey remember that guy from one scene in last episode well he’s actually a baddy” thing is pretty awkward though.