Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the triple post, but speaking of Darkwood OP, would you be willing to LP that? I've been wanting a subtitled LP of that for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I can't really get my head around the fact that a guy riding his horse around the office is totally foreshadowed.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

At the end of ep 4 I was thinking 'hey, now that we have the flashlight, we can go see that person from the lobby finally', and then we get a breadcrumb to go there from the game itself in the very next bit. I'm not sure if it's good to see I'm on the same page as the game, or if it means I'm also weird.

Regardless, from what I've seen so far this game is real good.

I get the feeling that Colonel Horseguy is going to be a boss at some point.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So far so interesting! Really not sure how a game with great pixel art and cutscenes greenlit those ugly retro-indie-minimalist stick figure sprites that seem to be everywhere these days, but the writing holds it all together.

Maybe the horse is the witch.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bacter posted:

Thanks! That one was meant to be private for review - fix'd version is going up now!

as a quick FYI this link is still the uncorrected one missing the first 6 minutes or whatever/the Sintra intro and computer cutscene but you've updated it in the OP. I was trying to figure out why it seemed like I was missing something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, is that guy on the horse a boss? That seems contradictory to what we learned.
Maybe he's just HR.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

So, is that guy on the horse a boss? That seems contradictory to what we learned.
Maybe he's just HR.

Horse Resources

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's exactly that kind of cavalier attitude that got us in this mess.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

This is amazing so far. I prefer to watch LPs of games like this because I get too scared to play them on my own.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Coolness Averted posted:

as a quick FYI this link is still the uncorrected one missing the first 6 minutes or whatever/the Sintra intro and computer cutscene but you've updated it in the OP. I was trying to figure out why it seemed like I was missing something.

Fixed it in the thread - just so there's no more confusion!

Incidentally, I don't know how tied in many of you are to Tech Company culture, but that insanity with the inspirational meeting is... much closer to reality than you might think. I work remotely, but I've been at a few tech companies where there were (admittedly much more positive) chanting sessions, and big pump-ups to get everybody psyched for work - or, other things?

Theranos Documentary posted:

Back at Theranos, former employees said Holmes called an all-hands meeting. Employees crowded into the cafeteria, packing into booths, leaning against whatever they could. Michael Craig said Holmes and Balwani were standing in the center of the room with a microphone and speakers. They told employees they were under attack. Carreyrou was enemy No. 1, they said and he was doing the bidding of big corporations.

"She definitely did that thing where you unite people in common opposition against someone else, which is, you know, probably ... in 'The Art of War,'" Craig said.

A a chant broke out.

"'**** you Carreyrou' is what we chanted," Craig said. "I joined in a kind of like tongue-in-cheek."

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bacter posted:

Fixed it in the thread - just so there's no more confusion!

Incidentally, I don't know how tied in many of you are to Tech Company culture, but that insanity with the inspirational meeting is... much closer to reality than you might think. I work remotely, but I've been at a few tech companies where there were (admittedly much more positive) chanting sessions, and big pump-ups to get everybody psyched for work - or, other things?

holy moly

I was under the impression that theranos execs were milking the fake news angle and the siege mentality within their own ranks but this takes it to the next level

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Only being able to unite your people by making them fear and hate an outside force is pretty much the core of fascism.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 27, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

'Cult or corporation' is my favourite party game.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only on Ep. 3 so far (and really enjoying it!) , but I wanted to mention:
The authors of Hexenhammer aren't really a reference, but the book is - it's better known as the Malleus Maleficarum, and Kramer and Spranger were its authors.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I'm only on Ep. 3 so far (and really enjoying it!) , but I wanted to mention:
The authors of Hexenhammer aren't really a reference, but the book is - it's better known as the Malleus Maleficarum, and Kramer and Spranger were its authors.

Also, the "Ullstein Verlag" is a real book publisher. Which is kind of a weird choice.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, the "Ullstein Verlag" is a real book publisher. Which is kind of a weird choice.

Maybe it was chosen because they have an owl in the logo?
Sadly no edition of "Der Hexenhammer" in their present portfolio.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MaskedHuzzah posted:

And "Malleus Maleficarum" is essentially Latin for "Hexenhammer". :eng101:
(Also "wishbone".)

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

"Look at that horse! That horse amazing."

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.

If you mess up and say the wrong thing, does it just restart or does something else happen?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

azsedcf posted:

If you mess up and say the wrong thing, does it just restart or does something else happen?

He said you lose 200 credits per mistake, so my personal guess is that it just continues but takes away your money.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
We did just get 1000 credits for this stage of the game, so I fully believe the game would back up its threats here. I believe we even got 5 questions there.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Keldulas posted:

We did just get 1000 credits for this stage of the game, so I fully believe the game would back up its threats here. I believe we even got 5 questions there.

yup, this is exactly what happens.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah - and that's a MAJOR disadvantage (to the point that I think it probably actually locks you out of some significant later-game content!)

Jon Joe posted:

That said this is an excellent adventure game, highly recommended, along with their previous title, The Count Lucanor.

Absolutely going to have to check this one out. I'd probably play anything by Baroque Decay after the showing this one gave.

OutofSight posted:

Maybe it was chosen because they have an owl in the logo?
Sadly no edition of "Der Hexenhammer" in their present portfolio.

Not a bad thought - we'll want to pay attention to animals and symbolism (and to animal symbolism) throughout. I really enjoy the slow pace of LPs - lots of little things I've noticed so far I'll dump on the thread later!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 2, 2019

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Also, uh... let's do what we were told. What say. How bad could it be?

Video will need some time to upload - give it a few!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I have a question, I was rewatching the earlier videos, and does the game ever explicitly tell you to go to the offices after you sign the contract and I missed it, or is it just something you're supposed to figure out through visiting each floor? ...Also kinda suspicious that not only is the 6th floor a different color, but what it is is not listed on the floor guide.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

el dorito posted:

holy moly

I was under the impression that theranos execs were milking the fake news angle and the siege mentality within their own ranks but this takes it to the next level

Seriously the book Carreyrou, Bad Blood, is completely worth a read. It's absolutely unreal

Jon Joe posted:

Sorry for the triple post, but speaking of Darkwood OP, would you be willing to LP that? I've been wanting a subtitled LP of that for a while now.

This would be good as hell. I really wanted to like Darkwood but just never had the patience to really get into it

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
So... yikes, that episode. The author has some issues about women, don't they?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Eopia posted:

So I have a question, I was rewatching the earlier videos, and does the game ever explicitly tell you to go to the offices after you sign the contract and I missed it, or is it just something you're supposed to figure out through visiting each floor? ...Also kinda suspicious that not only is the 6th floor a different color, but what it is is not listed on the floor guide.

1) No, you’re never told. I actually visited every floor BUT the offices first. It’s actually fun as a player, but since you can’t really do much before you at least get the flashlight, I left out some exploring. You’ll see everything that’s currently in the game! (I have reason to believe some DLC, free or otherwise, is coming)

2) I would love to do Darkwood! One of my favorite experiences is shuddering at night, waiting for the inevitable end, sick and scared!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Whybird posted:

They're a game dev so we can't rule it out, but I think they mainly have issues with human resources and marketing, which is only sensible.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Whybird posted:

I think you might be mixing up stuff that's supposed to be creepy and unsettling with the author's actual views. Like do you also think they unironically believe the entire horseman's 'pep-talk' since the game penalizes you for not repeating back what he says?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
On the other hand, I think the Hexenhammer summary said Witches must be female. So, regardless of the game maker's views I think it's fair to assume this is not going to shake up any of the usual gender biases in media.

Still, I feel it was more playing into old stereotypes of HR and all that, rather than a deep personal grudge. Generally the depiction of the various women seems pleasantly varied.

Kind of on the fence about if I want to play or just watch this, but might have to buy it regardless.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Tylana posted:

On the other hand, I think the Hexenhammer summary said Witches must be female. So, regardless of the game maker's views I think it's fair to assume this is not going to shake up any of the usual gender biases in media.

Still, I feel it was more playing into old stereotypes of HR and all that, rather than a deep personal grudge. Generally the depiction of the various women seems pleasantly varied.

Kind of on the fence about if I want to play or just watch this, but might have to buy it regardless.

Same. I really love the atmosphere, but I hate puzzles.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man, I hope Human Resources aren't this bad in my future job.

More like Inhuman Resources, am I right?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
It should also be pointed out that the historical Hexenhammer is literally the reason witches are associated mostly with women. Prior to its publication witchcraft was generally considered gender neutral.

The primary thesis of the Hexenhammer was that all women were potential witches( because they are all so weak and inferior you see), but that male witches, while rare, were exclusively about accruing power, rather than as a product of having vaginas.

I mean, it was the 15th century, what else would you expect.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

I think you might be mixing up stuff that's supposed to be creepy and unsettling with the author's actual views. Like do you also think they unironically believe the entire horseman's 'pep-talk' since the game penalizes you for not repeating back what he says?

My point is more that the game portrays the entirety of HR as being poison-tongued man-devouring harpies. That's a different thing to putting words in the mouth of a character in the game.

I mean, yeah, it's a stereotype of HR but that can't be disentangled from the fact that HR is a stereotypically female profession. It'd be analogous to the player getting to the law department and having to fend off hordes of hook-nosed money-stealing goblins.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta love Kate’s plucky attitude.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Whybird posted:

You know, it's funny... I never would have come to that on my own, but I see the point.

Witches have to be female, says the 'ol double-H. But - we're dealing with the HEXENHAMMER, a book which seems to be (at least partially) out of date. I mean, there's something super wrong in this company, and it's a bit more insidious than a big pointy hat - wearing, broom - riding witch.

In fact, it KIND OF seems like there's some reality the book was trying to describe, but it's filtered through the lens of its' time, which makes it kind of Grimms-Fairy-Tales-y.

So fine, we're discovering the True Witch.

It's corrupted every part of the company, making into the bizarro-but-recognizable version of what a real giant company can be like.

Inspirational meetings can be vapid and over-cheery, but here it's got this bloody, brutal tinge, with forced chanting, new names, scare stories to keep working, and a self-denying, all-for-the-company tinge.

In the offices, nobody has any idea what they're doing, which means frantic activity in the lower levels, and laziness in the upper levels.

So HR represents the desire to be acknowledged and validated by the company, whether that's getting hired or changing positions, and it's explicitly conflated with the sexual, and more specifically with the twin aspects of sexual aggressiveness and sexual degradation. I wish I'd talked to that guy who says "I hear you have to let them spit in your mouth" before I went in - that really sets the uneasy tone for the place.

And THIS place is the only one in the company so far to get really gender-specific.

I don't know if I agree they have a problem with women, but it's DEFINITELY written by dudes, right? Because "creepy pushy sexuality" is also very very female, in this company.

Contrast helpfully with Kate and Pasternack, who are pure and kind of clueless and dumb, which strikes me as very uh... anime? I guess? A kind of neurotic nervousness OR complete obliviousness are how "good people" are common written there, is my outside understanding.

EDIT: Incidentally, when I wrote that "HR is not your friend", that's a great and true piece of advice for any of you younger goons who plan to work in a medium-sized or large company in the future. I've personally never had a problem with them (and never really gone to them at all), but I've seen enough stories play out. The rule, at least in bigger companies, is that HR is 100% on The Company's Side, and they put on a great show of wanting to make you feel welcome and heard. In fact, they're there to basically make sure that you don't sue the company, or violate the terms of your employment. If you are going to them for help, thinking they'll put your manager in their place, odds are VERY GOOD that you'll get canned instead.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 3, 2019

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So before we move on to the next bit, there are some extra chores to take care of. Got to keep up with the fast-paced work culture!

(EDIT: one of the subtitles got out of place. re-uploading. just be a 1/2 hr)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 3, 2019

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
One: KatexBrian OTP

Two: Kate is my spirit animal in regards to work ethic. You can work while you chat with co-workers.

EDIT: Oh my gosh Doshi hacked our flashlight with an LED bulb I love this guy

life_source fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, that might be another problematic thing: I think Doshi is supposed to be Indian, and Indian IT guys are also a bit of a workplace stereotype.