Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yo Star Guarded, how possible would it be for you to pull some strings to get some of this artwork put on a poster in the official shop or something, because drat i'd pay money to hang some of this stuff up on my wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

yo Star Guarded, how possible would it be for you to pull some strings to get some of this artwork put on a poster in the official shop or something, because drat i'd pay money to hang some of this stuff up on my wall
I'll send along my enthusiasm for merch. Probably depends how the game sells, though. I'd wipe out a page of fangamer preorders, myself.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

maybe i can get my buddy that works at a print shop to get something nice printed for me because holy gently caress

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So, the game is good. Look great, runs well enough and feels better to play maybe? Idk I have a hard time remembering what the original was like but besides getting mobbed and beaten up once I haven't had much trouble yet and I think I'm on pace to not lose (again, probably not remembering too well). Only thing I'll say is if you have the ability to put it on an ssd I'd do that, the load times with door transitions can get monotonous.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

treat posted:

That RPS review is really disappointing. I hoped RPS--out of all outlets--would have focused more on the themes rather than the raw surface-level mechanics. It reads like a shallow review of a skinner box. Brendan is obviously familiar with Quintin Smith's deconstruction but there's no indication of that in the review. I hope they still have somebody on staff who's planning to write something thoughtful about it.

I have been really disappointed with most RPS coverage of just about everything for, like, a year now . When it's good it's good , so I still check the site, but I feel like 70% of the time I start an article and think "gently caress this" and hit the back button . Whether you're into Pathologic or not that's like an infuriatingly surface-level examination of it .

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

So the artbook is great. Pathologic has a great aesthetic and getting 290 pages of it was definitely worth the $55 I spent on the game's kickstarter

Ffffuck extremely jealous lol. That's not still for sale anywhere officially right?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

goferchan posted:

Ffffuck extremely jealous lol. That's not still for sale anywhere officially right?

You can get it and the soundtrack as DLC on either GOG or Steam.

I'm so so glad they ironed out the performance so much that even my feeble old laptop can play it. Of course that means it's torture that I have to wait until work is over to play. I LOVE the intro at least, the train ride feels very theatrical in the best way.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

youcallthatatwist posted:

You can get it and the soundtrack as DLC on either GOG or Steam.

I'm so so glad they ironed out the performance so much that even my feeble old laptop can play it. Of course that means it's torture that I have to wait until work is over to play. I LOVE the intro at least, the train ride feels very theatrical in the best way.

Ahhhh I thought you meant, like, a physical artbook. That makes more sense because that pricepoint would have been insanely cheap

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

looking at the backer portal, there was an option for a physical artbook ($160) though i dunno if that's still something you could possibly acquire

has anyone played the pathologic board game?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Looking forward to confusing myself this weekend!

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The dark souls comparison is apt- it's a penalty to your meter, on death.

Maybe, but he mentioned Dark Souls solely to bring up the "Harder is Better" design philosophy and say it doesn't work in a genre he apparently doesn't like anyway.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

looking at the backer portal, there was an option for a physical artbook ($160) though i dunno if that's still something you could possibly acquire

has anyone played the pathologic board game?

I bought it and have played a few times, it's really neat. I'm not a huge boardgame person so I don't how it stands up against like Critically Acclaimed ones but I thought it had a good amount of tactical decision making and while there's a lot of tokens it's not terribly complicated to actually play.

It's also on the Steam workshop for Tabletop Simulator btw

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I downloaded the game yesterday and got an error (content locked), but didn't have time to look for solutions online.

There are several people with this problem: Apparently my antivirus thinks that Pathologic is a virus. Very apt.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Apparently you can only play as the Haruspex for now?

Can I still run around with more human organs on my person than an entire network of hospitals, or did they add in a weight system

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Game gets bonus points for its amazing crime and karma notifications

X: Autopsy (They Will Know)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it me or is the game running worse than the demo did? It's chugging pretty decently at times.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Is there a point/value to finding a place that explains path1 before heading into path2? My guess is no, and that they're aware that plenty of people will be new but I'm not too sure!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On the steam forums the devs noted that one tiny thing you do in the intro can affect the main game as an easter egg.

Mindblast posted:

Is there a point/value to finding a place that explains path1 before heading into path2? My guess is no, and that they're aware that plenty of people will be new but I'm not too sure!

You can but I'm pretty sure it's largely a similar plot.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
So how's this game running? The reqs look manageable. Anybody got an oldish rig that's handling it well?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Look Sir Droids posted:

So how's this game running? The reqs look manageable. Anybody got an oldish rig that's handling it well?

I had pretty bad performance during the intro segment before the train-ride, but after that and in the game proper it is going pretty smoothly. My computer is barely at the minimum specifications.

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it me or is the game running worse than the demo did? It's chugging pretty decently at times.

It's running better for me.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Can I still run around with more human organs on my person than an entire network of hospitals, or did they add in a weight system

No weight system, but there's inventory Tetris. You have the same options for storage as in the original game, at least.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 24, 2019

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Quicksilver6 posted:

It's gonna be episodic and they'll release the Bachelor and the Changeling's campaigns later

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Game gets bonus points for its amazing crime and karma notifications

X: Autopsy (They Will Know)
I am so happy someone pointed this out because I was very pleased with that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I spent all my money to buy a gun and almost starved to death until I could gather enough herbs to buy food. On day 2. It's only gonna get harder isn't it?

OTOH, I now have a revolver with a single bullet, and I feel unstoppable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I spent all my money to buy a gun and almost starved to death until I could gather enough herbs to buy food. On day 2. It's only gonna get harder isn't it?

OTOH, I now have a revolver with a single bullet, and I feel unstoppable.

Average Russian Simulator

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

goferchan posted:

I have been really disappointed with most RPS coverage of just about everything for, like, a year now . When it's good it's good , so I still check the site, but I feel like 70% of the time I start an article and think "gently caress this" and hit the back button . Whether you're into Pathologic or not that's like an infuriatingly surface-level examination of it .

Yup. Despite the cries of "nothing is going to change, everything will stay as it is" when they were bought up by Gamer Network, the transition to some kind of Eurogamer knockoff was almost immediate.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Someone warn me when there is a way to slowdown a bit the meter depletion through Cheat Engine or by editing files.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The depletion isn't even that bad as far as these games go

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

If you're not perpetually on the verge of death while desperately trying to solve that last daily quest before it hits midnight, while fending off bandit and virus cloud attacks, you aren't playing Pathologic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quicksilver6 posted:

If you're not perpetually on the verge of death while desperately trying to solve that last daily quest before it hits midnight, while fending off bandit and virus cloud attacks, you aren't playing Pathologic.

Relatedly where the hell is Rubin

e: Ugh the game crashed

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 24, 2019

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Relatedly where the hell is Rubin

What day?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

1 lol, I have all tasks completed as far as I can tell but haven't seen him. I figure I need to to get into the house?

e: Oh god drat it I had to talk to Gravel a third time. That's it for the day.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 24, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Average Russian Simulator

Two bullets now! The streets are mine tonight!

On to Day 3,and I am loving this, more than Knock Knock and its clicking for me much more than The Void. It feels almost like a Clockwork Orange, I'm slowly getting into the rhythm and rituals of the Steppe people and their language, even though I don't consciously understand it yet. That's a remarkable achievement, kudos to them and the translation team.

I do think the Hunger is a little too punishing - it sucks to scrape together my last few coins to get a load of nuts and raisins and then they only fill less than 5% of my bar.

But on the other hand, if I hadn't spent all my money on a revolver I could have bought a load of proper food. And I'm assuming the nuts are way better as trade with the kids.

In conclusion, Pathologic is a land of contrasts.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
As someone who didn't want to play the original because of how slow it was how does Pathologic 2 compare?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lucinice posted:

As someone who didn't want to play the original because of how slow it was how does Pathologic 2 compare?

Still very slow! There's a run button now tho

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

MMF Freeway posted:

Still very slow! There's a run button now tho

That run button sounds like it helps a lot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strom Cuzewon posted:

On to Day 3,and I am loving this, more than Knock Knock and its clicking for me much more than The Void. It feels almost like a Clockwork Orange, I'm slowly getting into the rhythm and rituals of the Steppe people and their language, even though I don't consciously understand it yet. That's a remarkable achievement, kudos to them and the translation team.

I do think the Hunger is a little too punishing - it sucks to scrape together my last few coins to get a load of nuts and raisins and then they only fill less than 5% of my bar.

But on the other hand, if I hadn't spent all my money on a revolver I could have bought a load of proper food. And I'm assuming the nuts are way better as trade with the kids.

In conclusion, Pathologic is a land of contrasts.

I should probably buy a gun because combat is rough and a 2v1 is almost guaranteed to gently caress you but uh Burakh can't stop eating eggs and fish I guess :v:

Nuts are almost completely for trading only and the game says that - raisins may just suck. If you can trade for smoked meat - one will fill a third or so of the meter at least. Fish is pretty good too, and this milk/cheese combo thing

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, stop eating the raisins and nuts. They're for trading exclusively - all the kids have a specific type of nut that they love, and I think the youngest ones also love raisins. In general, it's good to avoid stores unless you absolutely have to - you can get a lot of good food purely by trading. Also you can trade vendor junk for other vendor junk that's more valuable - steppe people love candles, for example.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

youcallthatatwist posted:

Yeah, stop eating the raisins and nuts. They're for trading exclusively - all the kids have a specific type of nut that they love, and I think the youngest ones also love raisins. In general, it's good to avoid stores unless you absolutely have to - you can get a lot of good food purely by trading. Also you can trade vendor junk for other vendor junk that's more valuable - steppe people love candles, for example.

The dead things vendors will give you a good deal for lovely candles too!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
So I wasn't actually following the dev updates closely unless there was a new trailer or something lol, have they actually said how the other character routes were going to be dealt with in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Knorth posted:

So I wasn't actually following the dev updates closely unless there was a new trailer or something lol, have they actually said how the other character routes were going to be dealt with in the future?

If Haruspex sells well, the other two will be free DLC. They'll only come with an additional charge if IPL needs the funding.

RBA Starblade posted:

The dead things vendors will give you a good deal for lovely candles too!

Yes this also. If anyone hasn't found or been using the dead items store, make sure you get on that right away - it's the only reason I haven't died once by day four.