Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i keep seeing guys with painted white faces getting into fistfights with randos at night. are the painted faces guys muggers?

should i spring for that revolver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'll be the one to pop-in saying that the intended P2 experience has the player miserable and desperate running around trying to feed Artemy, not having any clue what's going on and failing quests left and right, this experience is only really possible if you approach the game mechanics blindly and just roll with the punches, otherwise it's very easy to 'optimally play' the first 2-3 days and reach the point where you're basically swimming in cash and food and start accumulating the-only-resource-that-matters very early on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

punishedkissinger posted:

i keep seeing guys with painted white faces getting into fistfights with randos at night. are the painted faces guys muggers?

should i spring for that revolver?

Yeah white painted face guys are muggers and are basically free stuff, but it can be very dangerous trying to take them on if you don't have a good sense for the combat in the game, and fighting two or three guys at once is a very bad idea. A gun makes that a bit more manageable but it's generally just easier to avoid getting in that situation in the first place, so buying the revolver is a purely optional thing. A good trick the game doesn't tell you about is both that there is a sneak button, as someone earlier mentioned, but that if you sneak up behind an enemy with a knife and hold the button down for a power attack, it will do a special "backstab" animation that will do much more damage than normal - it won't one-shot them but it will hurt them enough that you can usually finish them off before they are able to turn around and fight back.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Thanks yall. I just hit day 4 and I've been able to get immunity boosters for everyone who needed them so far, plus I got the hang of diagnosing and treating disease which is neat. My only realy issues are that my clothing has disintegrated and I don't have enough immunity boosters now. We'll see how the next few days go I guess. I just want to help everyone.

:ohdear:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That's the spirit. Now watch the game break it over its knees.

late game spoiler hint ambush and murder soldiers for their army rations

I should replay this game some time soon I think. Didn't they say something about news for the Bachelor campaign were to come some time this year?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yes but that announcement was pre covid so who knows how much the development got derailed.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Am I understanding correctly that I should be trading for Lemons and Coffee at every opportunity?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's a dominant strategy with full game knowledge since when you know what you are doing the resources gained during the time easily cover the lemons and beans and then some. It may or may not make sense with incomplete game knowledge- depends on how much you feel you would get out of additional hours wandering around, likely gained in the middle of the night when it's bandit city

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Artemy.wmv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSvDUYuhwOs

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

oh its your first time? thats cool don't forget to grab the titanite slabs to make +2 shank for the squatting ivan miniboss at the end of day 5. remember to strafe left around his special обувь attack (you can circumvent this attack by setting your PS2 clock to day 6 when the villagers have consumed all boot leather for sustenance)

DO NOT mention to the bachelor that his shoes are ridiculous and his coat makes him look gay - instant game over

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dongicus posted:

oh its your first time? thats cool don't forget to grab the titanite slabs to make +2 shank for the squatting ivan miniboss at the end of day 5. remember to strafe left around his special обувь attack (you can circumvent this attack by setting your PS2 clock to day 6 when the villagers have consumed all boot leather for sustenance)

DO NOT mention to the bachelor that his shoes are ridiculous and his coat makes him look gay - instant game over

Very good advice.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dongicus posted:

+2 shank for the squatting ivan miniboss at the end of day 5.

he only spawns if you max out the steppe bride's trust meter. if you feed her enough spindles you can usually get there but it depends on the mime drops.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3sXM9ezME

First gameplay look at IPL's next title.

(The Bachelor and Changeling routes are still coming, honest)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ZearothK posted:

(The Bachelor and Changeling routes are still coming, honest)

https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1393263746395648001

2022 is gonna be a good year for plague simulators my friend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

with mountains of IRL knowledge we will be unstoppable masters of the steppe

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Made it to Day 5 with only Notkin getting infected. Saved his dumb-rear end with some schmowdwer though. I've been able to stockpile a spare set of clothes, about ten toast and lots of repair parts. I really need to figure out a source for antibiotics though. Can i make those with the still?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Made it to Day 5 with only Notkin getting infected. Saved his dumb-rear end with some schmowdwer though. I've been able to stockpile a spare set of clothes, about ten toast and lots of repair parts. I really need to figure out a source for antibiotics though. Can i make those with the still?

Yes... for a price...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is it some kinda organs? I've been getting a decent amount of those so far.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Is it some kinda organs? I've been getting a decent amount of those so far.

lmao this game

also spoiler for how to make homemade antibiotics: infected organs/blood + tinctures. iirc the area of effect depends solely on the tincture, but i might be misremembering, been a while

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you have to go through a process first to get the tools to make homemade antibiotics in the lair. haruspex gets the idea for how he'll do it while thinking out loud in some dialog.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Haruspex ftw

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'll be the one to pop-in saying that the intended P2 experience has the player miserable and desperate running around trying to feed Artemy, not having any clue what's going on and failing quests left and right, this experience is only really possible if you approach the game mechanics blindly and just roll with the punches, otherwise it's very easy to 'optimally play' the first 2-3 days and reach the point where you're basically swimming in cash and food and start accumulating the-only-resource-that-matters very early on.

the only resource that matters obviously being the tinctures that slightly restore fatigue

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

the only resource that matters obviously being the tinctures that slightly restore fatigue

my Artemy was literally constantly high on them throughout days 9 to 12. those fatigue tinctures were the only thing preventing him from collapsing in the streets

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

you have to go through a process first to get the tools to make homemade antibiotics in the lair. haruspex gets the idea for how he'll do it while thinking out loud in some dialog.

i think i can do this already, ive been playing fairly optimally this run and have enough cash that i can just buy tools when i come across them

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I've been replaying P1 for, like, the 7th time and I've been getting some weird bugs. Maybe a Windows 10 thing. I was playing as Artemy and on day 2 the regular townsfolk just stopped spawning on the street. Special spawns (muggers, plague victims, early infectees, guards...) show up as normal, but all the regular folk straight up disappeared. This made trading for shmowders impossible (unless you lockpick houses, are lucky enough to find a little girl inside, and then are doubly lucky that she has a shmowder). Eventually drunks started showing up again, perhaps because they're part of the 'looted district NPC spawn table' list, if that's how the game works. I'm on day 8 and haven't seen a regular person outisde a house in a week.

I tried playing as Daniil and now I can't buy eggs or lemons. The trade/buy screen is generally a bit janky and sometimes I have to quit and re-enter to make it respond, but there's no fixing eggs and lemons. They appear in food shops but they can't be selected, even with rebooting the game. Nothing else seems to be affected (other food, drugs, clothes are all buyable as normal), just eggs and lemons. I don't remember if I encountered this as Artemy but I kind of like the accidental worldbuilding of Daniil being such a prick no one will sell him delicious eggs.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELmpVfQT3Qk

Know by heart is still on for this year (I was wondering about it). Good luck blessed IPL

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmao i love the bachelor so much

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009

Bolingbroke posted:

I've been replaying P1 for, like, the 7th time and I've been getting some weird bugs. Maybe a Windows 10 thing. I was playing as Artemy and on day 2 the regular townsfolk just stopped spawning on the street. Special spawns (muggers, plague victims, early infectees, guards...) show up as normal, but all the regular folk straight up disappeared. This made trading for shmowders impossible (unless you lockpick houses, are lucky enough to find a little girl inside, and then are doubly lucky that she has a shmowder). Eventually drunks started showing up again, perhaps because they're part of the 'looted district NPC spawn table' list, if that's how the game works. I'm on day 8 and haven't seen a regular person outisde a house in a week.

I tried playing as Daniil and now I can't buy eggs or lemons. The trade/buy screen is generally a bit janky and sometimes I have to quit and re-enter to make it respond, but there's no fixing eggs and lemons. They appear in food shops but they can't be selected, even with rebooting the game. Nothing else seems to be affected (other food, drugs, clothes are all buyable as normal), just eggs and lemons. I don't remember if I encountered this as Artemy but I kind of like the accidental worldbuilding of Daniil being such a prick no one will sell him delicious eggs.

Maybe you unlocked the hidden hard mode by being the first person to actually reach seven playthroughs :psyduck: on one install.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

ilurker posted:

Maybe you unlocked the hidden hard mode by being the first person to actually reach seven playthroughs :psyduck: on one install.

According to Steam I've logged about 265 hours of play across P1 and P2 combined

i love my plague town. also i am insane

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Took some time to watch SulMatul's analysis of Pathologic and Pathologic 2, enjoyed getting their perspective on the games. Decided to run his LP in the background while doing some work, I think he's up to roughly 8 or 9 deaths and I'm getting to see some stuff I missed because I was able to get through my completed run relatively unscathed after starting over a few times.

Feeling the itch to maybe dive back into P2 and wondering if there's any ways I can make the game more challenging or spice things up like make up my own rules or goals. It's been a while so I don't recall all the details and only completed the game once so hopeful there'll be some surprises. I also never tried Marble Nest, had a hard time wrapping my head around only getting to play one day, feel like I'd be frothing at the mouth to have the rest of the character's story.

Levin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 2, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Levin posted:

wondering if there's any ways I can make the game more challenging

:psyduck:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You definitely can crank up the difficulty sliders to make the game harder than the baseline. If you want more of a self imposed behavior adjusting challenge, this is kinda off the top of my head but try avoiding gathering herbs in the steppe, force yourself to harvest twyre from the blood root point things and stay in town dealing with the bullshit at night. I always found that the meta knowledge to spend some time each night going to do that gave the player a huge, perhaps too huge, advantage

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

isnt it suggested that you harvest from the steppe by the text itself? i swear theres a journal entry or something that recommends it.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Maybe, but the blood roots are explained by a steppe NPC very explicitly and have sounds and graphical effects that draw you in. I tried to get herbs from them as often as I could on my first run, but never bothered in future ones.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, I just feel like the blood roots are not very well balanced at all relative to the meta knowledge option. So it could be interesting for a challenge run to force yourself to rely on them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Challenge mode is playing one day a, well, day, and only eating what Artrmiy eats and sleeping as long as he does.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I'm gonna eat so many eggs

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I already shout at milk.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sokani posted:

I'm gonna eat so many eggs

Trying times indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isnt it suggested that you harvest from the steppe by the text itself? i swear theres a journal entry or something that recommends it.

I remember a part early on where Murky tells you to meet her out in the steppe at night and she'll help you speak to the dead, and when you get there she tells you to gather herbs. So yeah you're guided into trying out gathering herbs on the steppe at night.