Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gathering herbs on the steppe isn't the huge deal really, it's trekking down to the old village and hoovering up all the big plots there. It takes all night but you get a ton and if you're mainlining coffee and lemons you barely need a nap. Edit: it's been a while but I remember you can't do it for the first few days because itd really break things.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think I made the mistake of prioritising looting houses and stuff at night so I rarely went to the steppe. It's a much more interesting experience though whereas the steppe is pretty boring

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think I made the mistake of prioritising looting houses and stuff at night so I rarely went to the steppe. It's a much more interesting experience though whereas the steppe is pretty boring

robbing houses and especially killing muggers (both for their loot and their organs) is the best way to make money early on

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

robbing houses and especially killing muggers (both for their loot and their organs) is the best way to make money early on

I always found the extra way to the organ shop to be too much of a hassle.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think one of the strengths of the game is that there are a lot of different options you can take and there's not really a "correct" way to play. Like in my playthrough I didn't really do much herb gathering OR visit the organ shop at all (this is not a "I was so good I didn't need them" brag, I did terribly) and still managed to make it through the game. They probably would have helped but I always felt like I had my hands full with something else and just couldn't justify going out of my way solely to make money.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

doing a replay of 2 and i can't believe my eyes seeing that a full loaf of bread goes for 300 rubles day 1

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think one of the strengths of the game is that there are a lot of different options you can take and there's not really a "correct" way to play. Like in my playthrough I didn't really do much herb gathering OR visit the organ shop at all (this is not a "I was so good I didn't need them" brag, I did terribly) and still managed to make it through the game. They probably would have helped but I always felt like I had my hands full with something else and just couldn't justify going out of my way solely to make money.

It was a very good decision to make a death of the bound/adherents not a gamekiller. I did great up until a certain point off sheer luck then entered a doom spiral that killed a third of them and I was trying desperately to salvage anything and keep the ones I cared about the most alive. It was great. If it was how it was in P1 I would have just aborted once that piece of poo poo Notkin managed to lose to the plague on round three that little gently caress.

It also added something to Grace's ending that one of the Stamatens and one of the Saburovs were gone. "Oh, right."

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'll be the one to pop-in saying that the intended P2 experience has the player miserable and desperate running around trying to feed Artemy, not having any clue what's going on and failing quests left and right, this experience is only really possible if you approach the game mechanics blindly and just roll with the punches, otherwise it's very easy to 'optimally play' the first 2-3 days and reach the point where you're basically swimming in cash and food and start accumulating the-only-resource-that-matters very early on.

I was reading back a bit to compile some tricks, tips, suggestions, etc. and read over this which caused me to reflect a little on the intentions of the developers. I'd agree that they want you to start out blind and clueless, desperately running from one lose-lose situation to the next. However, I do think there's meant to be a progression such that subsequent playthroughs or later days have different lessons or rewards.

I think the fellow traveler's deal is an interesting thing to look at. It's a means of allowing a player who is really struggling with the challenges to get through their first run, obviously at a considerable cost. What's neat is that it gives the player the opportunity to reflect on their choice and how they view games when it comes to challenges they experience.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Agreed, that is definitely one of the things I love about the game. They do a great job of making it feel like there's too much to do, that decisions I make about how I spend my time and resources are impactful.

It's sortof funny that my other favourite game, Disco Elysium, takes pretty much the opposite approach when it comes to time as a resource or method of motivation but still does an incredible job of making me feel like everything I do is meaningful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The fun thing about the Deal is that there's a lot in the game that doesn't actually amount to anything that people fret about, like Clara cursing you, but it's still extremely obvious that it's a terrible idea to take it. It's a little cruel how it actually plays out, but it's also fun anyway.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Speaking of looting, I don't play many RPGs but what blew my mind is how logical the containers were. A wardrobe would have more slots than a compartment above a sink, and their UI representation would visually match their appearance in the world.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I broke into houses left and right to stab freaks to death and often times it wound up with me just having more plague and less food, so I guess their intentions worked out. The best moment I had early on was when I saw a cop beat a looter to death and I walked up to cut his heart out to sell it to the organ donor and the cop instantly blew my brains out when I clicked on the surgery button. There's nothing like Pathologic

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

I broke into houses left and right to stab freaks to death and often times it wound up with me just having more plague and less food, so I guess their intentions worked out. The best moment I had early on was when I saw a cop beat a looter to death and I walked up to cut his heart out to sell it to the organ donor and the cop instantly blew my brains out when I clicked on the surgery button. There's nothing like Pathologic

Trust me I'm a doctor

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I didn't know there was a whole other secret second cemetery in the Marble Nest. I was wandering the steppe and stumbled upon it. Graves in the middle of nowhere, and the Graveman. Very eerie.

also the easiest way to loot houses for fun and profit is 1) Don't bother with infected houses, only burned district houses 2) Always hold down the sneak button 3) When going through the rooms, open a door, look inside, if there's a bandit shut the door, they won't see you. Sometimes bandits will spawn right behind you but if you keep that sneak button on you can always get past them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

genericnick posted:

Trust me I'm a doctor

Bolingbroke posted:

I didn't know there was a whole other secret second cemetery in the Marble Nest. I was wandering the steppe and stumbled upon it. Graves in the middle of nowhere, and the Graveman. Very eerie.

Oh dang I didn't either, neat

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Know by Heart just released with a 15% launch discount and virtually zero fanfare. Buy the drat game, I want more Pathologic 2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

treat posted:

Know by Heart just released with a 15% launch discount and virtually zero fanfare. Buy the drat game, I want more Pathologic 2.

They've released a few trailers but it's been a quiet launch

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

treat posted:

Done

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is a very melancholic feeling game so far

e: And that feeling went out the window with the Savage Garden quote lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 10, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Do post initial impressions, I am curious but standing on the fence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ZearothK posted:

Do post initial impressions, I am curious but standing on the fence.

It's almost a point and click, it's very relaxed (for now). First couple hours are mostly about a man's childhood friend (that he wanted to be more) coming back to town and them wandering and reminiscing. Also the guy's drunk neighbor got arrested and forgot he had kids, so that's probably going somewhere

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I played about an hour during lunch. I'm enjoying it to a reasonable extent. So far it feels sort of like a whole game of the nostalgia for being a gang of kids in russian town thing artemiy/lara/griff/rubin have going on in pathologic. The question for me so far is if it has something to say about nostalgia besides 'I sure do feel nostalgic'

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just finished it, took about 6 hours but I spent a lot of time looking around. From the achievements it looks like I still missed quite a bit. I could see playing it again at some point.

It's going to take some time to absorb, but I think it might have been genius. I don't want to say anything spoilery for later in the game this early, but I underestimated IPL going in which you would think I would know not to do at this point. It has a pretty slow start that I was iffy on but it's justified, and once it gets rolling I think it will connect for most people who like their stuff for vibe/style/writing reasons, though they are all played in a bit more of a minor key. Obviously this is simpler than their other games mechanically but it was also quite polished by IPL standards (I had one softlock and the signposting of where to go next is a bit iffy sometimes, but that's about it).

I will say if you're not up for something pretty emotionally heavy, that would be a good reason to hold off but maybe that's implicit for an IPL game

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bought the thing so they can eat for another year.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Wew! Took me a long time to get around to it but that ... was simply incredible. This thread lead me to pathologic 2, so thank you everyone!

So... we probably aren't getting the bachelor and changeling expansions, right?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

Wew! Took me a long time to get around to it but that ... was simply incredible. This thread lead me to pathologic 2, so thank you everyone!

So... we probably aren't getting the bachelor and changeling expansions, right?

https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1393263746395648001

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I want to believe but I'm pretty skeptical. Last I heard the idea was that they were going to hire/rehire people to restart P2 development using the proceeds from making a few smaller games, one of which just came out to zero fanfare and sold approximately ten copies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Mods No Masters posted:

I want to believe but I'm pretty skeptical. Last I heard the idea was that they were going to hire/rehire people to restart P2 development using the proceeds from making a few smaller games, one of which just came out to zero fanfare and sold approximately ten copies

So back to the norm for IPL :smith:

It's really good though pick it up if you haven't. Talked about it a bit in the Steam thread but it's very clever how it goes at some themes from Pathologic but from the exact opposite direction, which I didn't really expect.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah as the game settles in my mind I think I was too wishy washy in my little review upthread, know by heart is great. *LARGE SPOILERS FOR THE BACK HALF* I really want to know how much of the game was conceived before the pandemic and how much they incorporated it during development, obviously they have some prior experience with that material but god drat accidentally or not, it was such a mood and really felt like the first game I've played to absorb and reckon with the whole nightmare

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah as the game settles in my mind I think I was too wishy washy in my little review upthread, know by heart is great. *LARGE SPOILERS FOR THE BACK HALF* I really want to know how much of the game was conceived before the pandemic and how much they incorporated it during development, obviously they have some prior experience with that material but god drat accidentally or not, it was such a mood and really felt like the first game I've played to absorb and reckon with the whole nightmare

I feel like washing your hands pointlessly was definitely a mid-pandemic addition lmao

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I wish they'd just do another kickstarter for the Bachelor/Changeling routes (or maybe a different crowdfunding platform given KS has gotten into NFT poo poo recently but you know what I mean). I feel like there are no die hard Pathologic fans out there who would balk at the chance to throw more money at IPL, and frankly, Pathologic 2, as it is right now, is already a complete game. It is so much more than simply 1/3rd of the story and even if the Bachelor and Changeling parts never get finished, it would still be an incredible game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
got know by heart, excited to be sad

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Verviticus posted:

got know by heart, excited to be sad

heckin same. there are too many video games to play and it will probably be a while before i get to the sadness but i know it's coming

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just finished Know By Heart, and yeah, it's really good. It's one of those things where it starts off seeming like it's about one thing, but then becomes about another thing, while also still somehow being about that first thing. It's also a thing where I feel like a lot of the themes it tackles are things that bigger games have attempted to do, but Know By Heart really handles them a lot more successfully.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

I'm pretty skeptical about it coming out this year (considering they promised to tease it last year), but Know by Heart got more attention than I thought it would. It's still on steam new tab for me, and I don't actually own Pathologic 2 (my husband has a copy on his steam).
But then again, maybe everything is going smoothly and they just delayed any kind of announcement until their other games release.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1498269141404463107

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I imagine we won't be getting those Bachelor and Changeling chapters anytime soon now

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I imagine we won't be getting those Bachelor and Changeling chapters anytime soon now

That was my immediate thought too, followed by “oh poo poo, I hope they get out of this alive.”

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dthaATQh2YGZx2yYiIHDN412jS5iocMW7aqPfUPjYu8/edit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
honestly i'm satisfied just knowing they're still around at all given the present circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, though that idea for the Bachelor is extremely cool