Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I adored Pathologic and was recently hospitalised due to one of my organs failing, which the docs came very close to removing before the drugs finally started to work, and have been spending my recovery time playing Pathologic 2 and removing other people's organs. This is the ideal way to experience the game.

Random thoughts:
*Think I preferred the voice acting, music, and sound design in the first game (HD edition), though it's still all really good. The plague district ambient sounds are extremely stressful and good and the triumphant music that plays after getting the blood is excellent.
*Abattoir sequence is the only time I felt the game got too obtuse (excepting the broken sequence in the termitary; see below). Had no idea what to do in that area the first time and died a lot. Needed more clarity.
*The dry humour is great. There's the aforementioned "You thought I brought in a baby" bit, and there's also the journal updates for Rubin: "Rubin can't surely be so stupid to think I'm a patricide?" > [talk to Rubin] > "Rubin is an idiot."
*In my first playthrough the Rat Prophet spawned after talking to Katerina Saburova. In a later playthrough he didn't pop up until after speaking to Grace at the cemetery, which scared the poo poo out of me to see him lurking quietly in the bushes when I wasn't expecting him.
*I love Bad Grief :3:
*I also love Aspity and wish you got more dialogue with her late game.
*Sending Grace to live with Peter is adorable.
*Wish you got some dialogue acknolwedging when you cure the kids. It's a bit silly for Peter to be angsting about how terrified/repulsed he is by plaguey, bandaged Grace when you've just cured her and she's standing there totally fine.
*The ending(s) feel rushed compared to the intro/tutorial, presumably due to budgeting issues.
*I extremely recommend drinking the serum immediately after the Changeling gives you the plague. What a great "gently caress you" feeling.
*I've been trying a playthrough where I cure everyone, though I let Anna die because I thought I wouldn't have enough cures for characters I actually like. Turns out out I had four spares left over by the end of the game and everyone else survived. Definitely pays to cram-loot nuts and raisins and trade with every little girl early in the early game. At some point I'll play a redo and save Anna as well.
*I've also got 15k roubles in this playthrough, all the best gear, more food than I can fit in my third-tier upgraded inventory, the shotgun (which I used exactly once), and a ludicrous amount of drugs. Still not got enough water though! Definitely recommend spending those first easy couple of days gathering, like, 70 bottles. And getting gears to fix water pumps.
*The key to success is understanding when certain items are rare and valuable and when they're not, and anticipating the change. And always max out the fund.

Final point on the termitary/schism quest with the apostates. I just had a nightmare of reloading to unlock the peaceful option path to solving the schism at the termitary and couldn't find any info online to fix the particular issue I was having, which was so obtuse I'd consider it a bug. So if anyone is having the same issue I am, this is the correct sequence:

1) Go to the termitary and speak to the kin to learn of the schism. Leave.
2) Be visited by Oyun's messenger. Go to see him.
3) Have two conversations with Oyun: one about going to the abattoir, one about healing the schism (he'll tell you it's impossible).
4) Do the abattoir quest, living blood, etc.
5) Sleep, dream, talk to your dead dad.
6) Return to the termitary. The hostile worms will have now despawned and the non-hostile worm you can speak with will be on an upper floor.

The problem I was having is that I did 2+3 before 1. You have the same conversations and get the same journal updates (about how you don't want to use violence to solve the schism & that there must be another way, and then how you now know how to touch the apostates' hearts and solve the schism non-violently) but you can't actually complete the quest. Very frustrating!

Overall the game could use another round of bug fixes (they're still patching I think?). Some of the ones I've been getting: all NPCs becoming uninteractable (fixed by restarting the game; first time I got this was after a death and Mark telling me I could no longer hug anyone so I thought it was deliberate which seemed a bit loving harsh even for Pathologic lol), infected NPCs disappearing (fixed by re-enabling them through game inspector), NPCs teleporting to places they're not supposed to be after being cured, Sticky eternally remaining outside the clothing shop waiting to steal a toolkit if you accept but don't complete that quest (even if he dies), voice reactions to NPCs being mugged by bandits inside houses loop endlessly every time ("Calm down! Calm down! Don't - let go!"), minor graphical glitches with NPCs appearing/disappearing weirdly, and a lot of little issues with dialogue not properly reacting to quest sequences.

These are minor complaints. I absolutely love this game. The ideal present to make Christmas plaguey and stressful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't this what the game intends for you to do, or is the serum not the cure?

I think the game intends for you to save it for one of your many dying children as you get cured by touching the heart later anyway. In my most recent playthrough I was basically Scarface cocaine-ing shmowder so there was no need to save it.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Nucular Carmul posted:

Do you have to do the Day 4 testing thing yourself? It's not clear if that's mandatory or optional or what the rewards or consequences would be.

I've read that you need to test 3 organs to progress the quest, but I can't confirm that. Mostly you want to do it because it will let you create antibiotics from infected organs, though I find it's a better use of time, resources, and inventory space to just buy antibiotic pills from shops > use them to treat rando infectees > max out the fund > buy more pills, rinse and repeat.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
It's definitely possible to avoid hand-to-hand combat with the worms in the abattoir; I've never killed any of them barehanded. You've just got to be real careful with your sneaking to get past them. Then, as mentioned, get the blade from the herb brides and shank them in the back.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
Aren't both of the Vlads saved automatically if you ignore that quest for a few days then complete the separate schism quest nonviolently (i.e. don't kill the worms, wait for the solution to be revealed to you in a dream?) I think they are? If so that's definitely a more satisfying nonviolent solution to the quest, albeit one that is super hard to execute correctly because the journal entries are broken and lie to you.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I've been replaying P1 for, like, the 7th time and I've been getting some weird bugs. Maybe a Windows 10 thing. I was playing as Artemy and on day 2 the regular townsfolk just stopped spawning on the street. Special spawns (muggers, plague victims, early infectees, guards...) show up as normal, but all the regular folk straight up disappeared. This made trading for shmowders impossible (unless you lockpick houses, are lucky enough to find a little girl inside, and then are doubly lucky that she has a shmowder). Eventually drunks started showing up again, perhaps because they're part of the 'looted district NPC spawn table' list, if that's how the game works. I'm on day 8 and haven't seen a regular person outisde a house in a week.

I tried playing as Daniil and now I can't buy eggs or lemons. The trade/buy screen is generally a bit janky and sometimes I have to quit and re-enter to make it respond, but there's no fixing eggs and lemons. They appear in food shops but they can't be selected, even with rebooting the game. Nothing else seems to be affected (other food, drugs, clothes are all buyable as normal), just eggs and lemons. I don't remember if I encountered this as Artemy but I kind of like the accidental worldbuilding of Daniil being such a prick no one will sell him delicious eggs.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

ilurker posted:

Maybe you unlocked the hidden hard mode by being the first person to actually reach seven playthroughs :psyduck: on one install.

According to Steam I've logged about 265 hours of play across P1 and P2 combined

i love my plague town. also i am insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I didn't know there was a whole other secret second cemetery in the Marble Nest. I was wandering the steppe and stumbled upon it. Graves in the middle of nowhere, and the Graveman. Very eerie.

also the easiest way to loot houses for fun and profit is 1) Don't bother with infected houses, only burned district houses 2) Always hold down the sneak button 3) When going through the rooms, open a door, look inside, if there's a bandit shut the door, they won't see you. Sometimes bandits will spawn right behind you but if you keep that sneak button on you can always get past them.