Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
PS1 is the worst version yet has the best translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
:filez: version is the best because of fast forward. I don't have time for cutscenes or grinding and some parties are just a loving chore at points if you need to grind.

I am jealous of the auto-battle in the Matrix version.

I think I only like the GBA version because that's the one I've been using the most lately because of whatever fiesta mod/NECactuar/nicer portraits/translation version I have of it.

I'd probably be fine with a modded SNES version. I just don't like the standard version of it over the GBA version.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've always done GBA because shoot me, I actually prefer the way it did the music for the game, and Quicksave manipulation is quite handy. I don't hate the SNES version but I guess I am in support of the most official version of the game that isn't for mobile devices. It also gave me quite the squeak of joy when doing Forbidden last year.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I went through your LP the other day and YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS made me laugh, it's so good

GBA with sound fix because it gives Beastmasters a free win on Omega (mostly) over the SNES and doesn't have the changed mechanics of the Matrix versions.

derra fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 23, 2019

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mega64 posted:

:pirate:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

I agree and proudly fly the flag of Team Y-Burns.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If they had done better character sprites, just like the monsters, I might hold the Steam versions in higher regard.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

:toxx: I'll either do one this year or find a new job before the fiesta ends.

Also, I'll donate $5 (up to $50) for everyone who gets banned for their fiesta toxx this year, and all $50 if no one (but me) does

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Geomancers are good, actually. :colbert:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm gonna hop in this year for my first time playing FF5.

Hold me, I'm scared.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm gonna hop in this year for my first time playing FF5.

Hold me, I'm scared.

You'll be fine. I did my first ff5 playthrough as a fiesta run last year. It was a lot of fun.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Fiesta is the best way to play FF5. Also don't be shy asking questions; everyone here loves splerging out.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Yesss I've always wanted to do this poo poo

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Goons last year coached my very first playthrough of FFV to a triple crown. It was a blast and I an super pumped to do more runs this year. Please give it a try, even if you've never played the game before. It's a treat.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Agreed. There is zero shame in diving in head first then asking the discord to help you while you drown.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leraika posted:

Geomancers are good, actually. :colbert:

That's why the Fiesta survives. All the classes are good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Edit: Since it's come up a couple times, I want to add that there's no requirement to do this in only five runs. I just did that because I didn't want to play more than I did.

Bruceski posted:

That's why the Fiesta survives. All the classes are good.

There are no bad jobs, but there are some teams that don't really come together.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 31, 2019

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Agreed. There is zero shame in diving in head first then asking the discord to help you while you drown.

At least until you start drowning in all of the "Actually, if you give Faris the Main Gauche, she gets an extra M from the knife bug" posts. :v:

Speaking of, my Lua script is available for those who don't feel like keeping Excel open to calculate that sort of thing all the time. (Probably requires BizHawk version 2 or higher).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

There are no bad jobs, but there are some teams that don't really come together.

Does this need to be done in five runs?

This would combine very well with my toxx as well - combine your Knights and Geomancers!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I have never played Final Fantasy V, all the words people toss around confuse my pea brain, and I still want to participate finally.

Does some of this stuff get more clear when you actually play the drat game or do I need to ask people to explain everything to me like I'm 5 because I don't understand the bugs and the stealing thing and what an M is and what the hell the jobs do and why some are great while others are less great?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ritznit posted:

Does some of this stuff get more clear when you actually play the drat game or do I need to ask people to explain everything to me like I'm 5 because I don't understand the bugs and the stealing thing and what an M is and what the hell the jobs do and why some are great while others are less great?

Everything except "what an M is" becomes clearer with practice/experience, yes.

The short form of M is that your Strength and/or Magic only influence your damage multiplier, not your exact damage. The multiplier is derived from your relevant attacking stat and your Level. In other words, the important thing about M is "if you want to do more damage, gain levels".

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ritznit posted:

I have never played Final Fantasy V, all the words people toss around confuse my pea brain, and I still want to participate finally.

Unless you get a really bad combination of jobs for your team, you probably won't NEED to exploit glitches or steal a ton of stuff. The game is easily beatable with a lot of different jobs. Calculating M and other stuff is mostly for teams that are going to have a hard time normally.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I would really recommend Sulla's single character challenge write-ups to introduce you to all the nitty gritty details of the game and its various intricacies. There are spoilers, though, if that matters. The first two he did covering the Monk and the Black Mage go the most in-depth.

They're very informative and funny. I think I might reread some now!

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Ritznit posted:

It's the former. FFV is not an especially difficult game, and is mostly just kind of frustrating if you wind up with a team that lacks synergy (and the odds of that are pretty low). People like to discuss the inner workings of the game because it's very well put together in terms of mechanical balance, and it's easy to feel ways about it when you've been playing it religiously every summer for the past... what is it, 6 years now? I honestly don't even remember.

But all of this is to say that the Fiesta is a really good way to experience the game for the first time, and you don't have to worry about not having an encyclopedic knowledge of everything the game has to offer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

Does this need to be done in five runs?

This would combine very well with my toxx as well - combine your Knights and Geomancers!

No, although more than five runs is quite a bit of FFV for one season.

But with the job fair, there's no need to take more than five runs to do both.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Thank you very much for the responses. Seems I should worry less, then.

Does the game make job synergies obvious or is that something I should peruse a guide for?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Basically all of FFV's backend calculations boil down to "more numbers = more better," and that's all you really need to know to play the game. The only formulas that are both A) not very intuitive, and B) commonplace enough to matter when you're not going out of your way to break stuff, are a lot of the less straightforward weapon damage formulas.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ultrafilter posted:

Nope. Take as many runs as you want.

Awesome, I'll keep this in mind if I get a nice variety of jobs in my first few runs!

Unless there's a new fun run type, I plan on doing a 750 Berserker Risk for my pre-registration. It's a great combo, as you're guaranteed the Zerk in the water slot with a guaranteed good supporting mage class from wind. I've found it a really fun way to start off the summer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Main thing to note for newbies is don't do Berserker Risk on your first go. One Berserker is fine and a useful heavy-hitter, but more than one can make some areas very annoying and if you roll three of them your run will hit 3 or 4 walls where you need to go off and grind to absurd levels.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ritznit posted:

Does the game make job synergies obvious or is that something I should peruse a guide for?

There are very few situations where you'd need to check a guide. If you just play normally and ask for help when you get stuck, you'll be fine.

Poque posted:

Unless there's a new fun run type, I plan on doing a 750 Berserker Risk for my pre-registration. It's a great combo, as you're guaranteed the Zerk in the water slot with a guaranteed good supporting mage class from wind. I've found it a really fun way to start off the summer.

My second run last year was Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Chemist. It was a little bit of a slog at times, but Equip Axes is a great secondary for the casters, and the endgame...well, a Berserker with a high magic stat and the Gaia Hammer is pretty much an engine of destruction, but if you bump them up to level 255 and give them haste, it's pretty magical. Shame there aren't more fights where it's worth setting up something like that.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I know nothing about what a Berserker is or does but from osmosis of past Fiestas I know Berserker Risk is some hilarious/awful thing the experts love, so no worries, I will stay away from it.

Sorry for another dumb question, but what does a typical signup tweet to Gilgabot look like? Still trying to understand how this works.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Once preregistration opens up there'll be a tool on the official site you can use that auto-generates a tweet with your desired settings. It's super handy!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ritznit posted:

Depends on how much you know about the Job systems in general. Red Mages can (eventually) learn Dual Cast which works on White/Black/Time/Summon magic. If you get a Red Mage and one of those, you're in good hands. Without another caster, Red Mage is middling at best. Some things are less obvious like Berzerker. If you get a Job that passes on a good magic stat (like Summoner or even Geomancer) you can give that to a Berzerker along with the Rune Axe. The Rune Axe uses both your Strength and Magic Power to determine damage.

Dragoon is probably the least synergistic of the bunch and even then, !Lance is an adequate secondary ability for a Mage if you need to conserve items.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ritznit posted:

I know nothing about what a Berserker is or does but from osmosis of past Fiestas I know Berserker Risk is some hilarious/awful thing the experts love, so no worries, I will stay away from it.

Sorry for another dumb question, but what does a typical signup tweet to Gilgabot look like? Still trying to understand how this works.

Basically berserkers hit hard and only hit hard - they're permanently berserked and uncontrollable. There are boss battles where you want to control what you're hitting (infamously, Sandworm) and/or actually be able to use actual commands so berserkers can be a hindrance.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The main reason 1 Berserker is good is because there is an axe that can proc Death that they can access early, and there are a lot of bosses including some rough ones that are vulnerable to it. Not many classes can exploit this weakness during the relevant timeframe.

Speaking of which, by far the best 4JF resource is our own Mega64's boss list. If you are having trouble, check status vulnerabilities especially.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

...in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here....

This got 404'd.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hi I'm OFS I punched Omega to death once.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I came here through forums ads. Who bought the ad? Thank you for reminding me of this thing, friend!

Last year I had some trouble that prevented me from running, but this year I have prepared myself :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is there a mod that replaces the lovely mobile port's graphics with the original sprites?