Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

neongrey posted:

I'm gonna give project demi a try this year-- but geez, the translation is... I saw people waving that off, but you gotta remember, it's not just the cutscenes that are translated, it's every item in the game and it's gonna be real disorienting using the stuff they went with for it. Wish the GBA translation backport were supported.

But the SNES names are the ones used in the algorithm guide making them the most useful to read.

SNES translation is good, y'all are crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

BisbyWorl posted:

Just do what I do, and make a save file right after Wind Shrine to skip all of it!

And be stuck with the same name throughout the entire fiesta? That's insane!

Playing multiple times you'll want the turbo button anyway for all the other six billion cutscenes and long rear end conversations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

MagusDraco posted:

Think of it as bad IRC with the option to use voice chat channels

Fixed that for you

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

Not sure of a list, but a few other areas of note.

* Undersea Trench is great if you've got White Mage or Bard.

At the end of this there's also a place where you can refill Magic Lamp and so you can grind with that. Bahamut and Leviathan are usually good enough for one battle and then Odin gets another. It works for every team.

Very, very situationally useful information but it could be useful to someone maybe.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

derra posted:

Phoneposting, but I'll redo my pledge from last year. I'll pull it up tonight if no one beats me to it.

Edit: got it

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

After 4 years, I'm at 82 triple crowns in a row, all but the first 2 chaos. Think I'll push for the big 100.

Samuel Clemens, blakelmenakle, Orange Fluffy Sheep, Osci, Mega64, Bregor, KataraniSword, Ayuno

Hempuli posted:

Oh hey, I've kind of wanted to do one of these, so here goes:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

I got chemist for my first job in run 3 so decided to do these.

A dragoon appropriately soloing a dragon.

Bonus pic of the loot. As if that'll make you trust me more or less:

A Samurai throwing my hard earned money at NED

The team right before fighting Treedeath:

I decided to not spend 200 years rooting for good RNG versus Omega so I leveled Lenna up to 26 to be able to survive Mustard Bomb with double health and Shell.

Team right after killing Omega

It was surprisingly difficult going through the game with so few levels. I decided early on to gain very little XP so I grinded out the 99 turtle shells that lasted me the entire game and then decided I should try to stay under 20 for everyone. So this made it hard to earn AP (I got the turtle shells before I got my chemist because I'm dumb) so it took a long time before I got !Mix, and I was always short on money. Usually I just kill statues until I know all the cool skills.

Ended up having to pass lvl 20 for Omega since Mustardbomb does about 1590 damage through Shell. I could've just attacked when it targets itself but if I wanted to do any damage I had to Turtle Soup (halve its Defense) Omega, making it so when it uses Delta Attack it can bounce of your reflect and damage Omega. It's about a 28% chance delta attack will crack through Omegas halved defense and do damage, and then there's a one in three chance Omega will counter with Mustard Bomb. That's not a huge risk at any one time but it turns out Omega gets a lot of chances.

I tried for a bit at lvl 18 but never got further than about 8k damage to Omega before a mustard bomb hit me and then I gave up.

Other than that, the biggest problem was probably cash. To deal with NED in the easiest way I decided to find some Movers but they were hard to kill fast enough. Ended up drugging my Samurai up to higher levels and tossing my money at them. Did the exact same thing to NED and berserked and blinded shinryu. Chemist is good.

edit: made pics smaller

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 23, 2019

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Hempuli posted:

Whoa, triple-single-character-crown! Nice!

I'm not sure if you noticed that my post also had triple crown all with a single character alive. You just quoted the Omega pic.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, just want to be thorough!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

agradine posted:

It is! We almost to 30!

1) Kyrosiris
2) Serene Dragon
3) AlphaKretin
4) Fat and Useless
5) Bregor
6) Samuel Clemens
7) blakelmenakle
8) Osci
9) Kheldarn
10) Admiral Joeslop
11) Huzzah!
12) Nasgate
13) jaclynhyde
14) MagusDraco
15) Arban
16) Unreal_One
17) Doom Goon
18) Procrastine
19) FeyerbrandX
20) DalaranJ
21) Kite Pride Worldwide
22) Agradine
23) Simply Simon
24) Son of a Vondruke!
25) Darwinism
26) Funktastic
27) Nasgate
28) Spelling Mitsake
29)
30)

Oh yeah, I forgot to post this after my first run and I accidentially spelled the name wrong so it might not even count but https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1140906127149998080

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Poque posted:

This toxx is COMPLETE!!

:toxx:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

COMPLETERS: Jose Valasquez, Darkoni, Fenrir, MagusDraco, jaclynhyde, Orange Fluffy Sheep

I know your post says this is complete but I did it anyway because it was a fun challenge and I got knight and hadn't had a geo yet.

I also had Mystic Knight and Dancer so the whole thing was pretty easy, might as well take it an extra step.

It was surprisingly nice just killing every random encounter and basically never have to grind for AP or gil.

Aerdan posted:

I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

Bartz wants to be a ghost when he grows up:

This is basically a jeapordy question.

"What is an evil being that will return? Spooky"

Bartz has Spooky dreams where he can see the real world

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Weird BIAS posted:

I mean mostly I get hit with rocket punch and kill my own people.

Make sure to have reflect when omega uses search and attack when Omega has targeted itself and the rocket punches won't hit you.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've inspired me

$25 up to a max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and a one of the wielder attacking NED

Completions: Edward_Tohr, Mega64, Samuel Clemens, ssmagus, Nasgate, 1234567890num, Bregor, Bufuman

I figured this was a good idea right after a Brave Blade run (it wasn't that bad, WM and TM are both insane).

I got two attempt to flee procs just before this so your challenge robbed me of three Holy casts!

Now there's only two jobs left and I'll have had them all too, so that will be my next toxx to fulfill.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

I can see the number through your cover up black.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

Just finished my last one. This should be all here.

Here's the victory tweet for the last one:

https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1156869050670231553

Dunno if this Toxx is even still valid. I put up 7 bucks for fairing the worst three jobs in the game.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Sweet. This was a good toxx. It's been fun getting everything.

And I forgot to add this which was pretty funny to me

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

FreeKillB posted:

So uh, maybe next time I have only white mages and/or thieves for byblos i'm gonna jobfair.

I realized that with white mage you can cast Scan (or Libra) on byblos to trigger the "React Magic: {Toad, Nothing, Nothing}" and run him out of MP much faster than with just hoping for magic hammers and confuse a lot.

Just bring some elixirs, some ethers and a ton of Maiden's Kiss and it honestly was a lot less of a pain than I expected it to be.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

chaoslord posted:

I started my run toward the beginning of the Fiesta but I forgot about it. Whoops! Gonna try to rush through this before the end of the month. First job was White Mage. I am glad I found that flail, slowly pinging things was not fun! Just got my second job and it's Berserker.

This is my first time through FF5 but I think this should be workable. Are there any jobs out of the next crystal that I should look to immediately replace if I roll those in combination with WMage/Zerk?

White Mage and Zerker is a really good combo actually so you're off to a good start! Ranger is crazy good if you grind it out so you're overall in a really good position for a first time.

I suggest looking at http://enkibot.herokuapp.com/ for advice, it's great for not missing essential things for a specific party.

The most important thing is to get deathsickles though because they are rad.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, Zerker likes any magic ability since it boosts stuff like the Gaia Hammer. White is especially handy since it also lets you use them as an out of combat healbot and conserve resources.

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about the magic boost since I usually just underflow with Thornlet (SNES only thing but it's cool) but yeah, that's a neat bonus. I was just thinking that Zerker's biggest problem is they can't heal and WM biggest problem is they can't hurt so they complement each other pretty darn well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
What BisbyWorl said, except I'd go with Sword Dances against the Almagest part and then swich to Rapidfire (unless you're on the SNES version in which case rapidfire sucks against NED).

I assume everyone is wearing Herms Sandals (or Running Shoes, depending on the translation) and that the Dancer is wearing Rainbow Dress? Note that this is 100% key here. If your dancer is not wearing both of those now and you fix that, your current tactic will 100% work.

Also, you can learn !dance and put it on more than one character and equip the Aegis Shield for a small chance to block Almagest.

Snipe Edit RE: Asimov - RM can't cast Shell, or they would be legit useful. Dualcast Life is the best thing they can do vs Exdeath so if you're gonna Wonder Wand Shell on someone, make it the Red Mage right before Almagest hits to lower the risk of a Dispel hitting.

It might also be a thing to put the chicken knife on the thief with !mug and give the dancer the Man Eater. I don't know how much damage the man eater dance will do against NED at lvl 40 so I can't guarantee it'll be worth it, but it might be.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 28, 2019