Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Mega64 posted:

'Tis the season.

For those interested, there's currently a Free Enterprise-style randomizer for FF5 called Career Day that's in beta testing. Here's the link for more info.

I really wish this was for the GBA version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
:filez: version is the best because of fast forward. I don't have time for cutscenes or grinding and some parties are just a loving chore at points if you need to grind.

I am jealous of the auto-battle in the Matrix version.

I think I only like the GBA version because that's the one I've been using the most lately because of whatever fiesta mod/NECactuar/nicer portraits/translation version I have of it.

I'd probably be fine with a modded SNES version. I just don't like the standard version of it over the GBA version.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Man, Bard vs Garula is a slog. I mean, I guess it's not as bad as party comps that struggle against Byblos though.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Bregor posted:

Thief was my worst Garula experience and involved some Elven Mantle luck IIRC. White Mage was also terrible. Chemist was a distant third.

Thief isn't terrible because you can steal mythril daggers which is a big boost over regular daggers, you're the fastest class so it's easy to keep up with potions, can at least wear cloth armor and a light helmet, and you don't have penalties to strength or stamina.

Bard gets none of those except it's also relatively fast. Worse strength and hp, worse weapon, worse armor.

White mage you're just never going to die and can wail away with the flail so it just takes time, but you're never in danger of wiping.

And Kyrosiris mentioned how the Chemist can just nullify Garula with charm. It took a little while and I had to do more than hold A or beak a rod, but it wasn't risky.

I recently played through Garula with all 20 classes in the past 2 weeks and only the Bard run really sucked.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 28, 2019

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

When you have a rod equipped, go into your item menu in combat, then press up. You'll see the weapons you have equipped. Hit A twice on the rod, and you'll break it, casting an -aga spell of the corresponding element on the enemy field.

This also works for Poison Rods (casts Bio), Staves of Light, (casts Holy), Masamune (doesn't break, casts Haste) and the Wonder Wand (doesn't break, casts Reset).

And Defender (casts Protect)

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Was just trying to think of what party I'd hate to have and it'd probably be Bard, Berserker, Dancer, Dragoon in that order. You're going to be ok, but World 1 going to suuuuck. Maybe even reverse the Dancer and Dragoon so you can't even rely on sword dance until later.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is true 24/7 all the time.

I really don't like it.

I don't like it, but I also don't hate it. I wouldn't want to have to rely on it, but at least you can luck out on a tough boss instead of having to grind levels.

Dancer is at least interesting earlier if you also have a Thief or a Blue Mage with no other way to confuse outside of !Dance.

Dragoon is my most hated class because it's so loving boring. I hate that class so much.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

There are no bad jobs, but there are some teams that don't really come together.

Does it have to be over 5 runs with no duplicates? If not I'll probably do a couple chaos/random runs and then I could just start making teams of classes I haven't gotten through no750/750 runs with job fair to finish it out.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
And not updated for 2019 yet

Well, at least the website. I don't know if gilgabot is setup for the new reg types.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Digi on the Discord thinks the winner of the run will decide what team everyone gets.

That seems a lot different than Popular though and Winner is being tagged under that

I registered for PureChaos RISK

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

It's probably the Popular formula but based on teams with confirmed wins from last year instead of polling.

Then you'd likely end up with the same teams year after year if Winner stuck around

At least if it was based on the twitter polling it might change

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
That's neat. I always did it separately anyway, but I hate waiting to start a new run. I'm always excited to start another run after beating NED.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Almost 24 hours and my first Exdeath kill hasn't been recorded. Submitted via Twitter and the website.

I used another Twitter account to start a run because I got impatient and Gilgabot punished me. First run was Winner + Berserker. Gilgabot have me Geomancer, White, Summoner, Freelancer. 2 jobs I just had. Was really hoping for something more interesting than my 1st run, but with a worse party.

Hopefully by the time I get through this run RK will have recognized the victory on my regular Twitter account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I got 2 Kaiser Knuckles from the 3 Steel Fist chest in the Pyramid. I do have Monk, but at that point I'm about to get Hermes Sandals so they were on for all of 5 minutes.

Actually, I had lots of doubles this run. Even got double Reflect Rings.

Maybe it's to make up for this garbage party of Monk, Red Mage, Berserker, Thief.