Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
'Tis the season.

For those interested, there's currently a Free Enterprise-style randomizer for FF5 called Career Day that's in beta testing. Here's the link for more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PS1 is the worst version yet has the best translation.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glad the ad’s already working!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ritznit posted:

What's Project Demi? Sorry for all the dumb questions.

It's a recently-released ROM hack for the SNES version that adds some quality-of-life options that's great for veteran players. The big things are the removal of cutscenes and a toggle for random encounters, with a few other things here and there as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Red Mage is a White Mage that trades in Shell for rods.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Why grind to L99 when you can drink your way there?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The most Dragondarch thing was his last run where he tried to grind for Aero in the Wind Shrine and accidentally wiped.

He hadn’t saved at all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

Was he still grinding for Aero? I thought his scheme at the time was grinding Faris up to a specific level so that he could utilize different characters to goblin punch various bosses in the teeth for 8x damage.

Also if I remember right he was doing a pretty good job of recovering from that mistake... only to have some other mistake completely remove him from contention.

That was probably it. I was confused because he got killed by Aero.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PureChaos now and forever.

No Risk because it's more fun for me to get a Zerk naturally.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chaos has duplicates. Pure Chaos doesn't, and also has Freelancer and Mime.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stunlocking him with Bards or Beastmasters takes out a ton of the necessary luck. As does Quickleaking.

Chemist takes luck because it takes awhile to set their stuff up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A lot of jobs can solo Shinryu with enough levels, including Berserker.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

but you don’t have to read the rest of the site. :shrug:

Now you tell me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Miles McCloud posted:

I'm curious about trying this out this year, some quick questions from a total FF5 newbie (only played FF6, FF8 and some of FF7 before)

1. The way I understand it, throughout FF5 you collect crystals that allow you to reclass your party members, and the challenge is to allow the Gilgabot to select which classes you take? I don't mind a challenging first run, just want to be sure I do it right. The game makes it perfectly clear when to do this, right?

2. From my research, it seems the best version of FF5 is the GBA one with the music restoration patch? Is that best to start with?

3. Is the default challenge the best for a beginner?

Thanks!

Yes for all of those.

The only hiccup for 1. is that the Fire Crystal jobs are split a bit. You get the first three (Ninja, Geomancer, Beastmaster), and then you get the last two (Bard, Ranger) after the next dungeon, so if you roll one of those you’ll stick with your Wind and Water jobs until you actually unlock them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A reminder that The Run will stream in less than an hour.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: THE RUN IS LIVE :siren:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

He struggled on Sol Cannon for awhile, he was so high level Surge Beam was outpacing Cura.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Well, so much for DD looking competent this year. He was clearly saving his magic for the crystals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Red Mage start, huh?

...Eh, could be worse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you mean Archeoaevis, that last form isn't actually undead, so axe away.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Red Mage is a Wind Crystal job! In FF3, but still!

Uh, Lenna...

oh no

https://i.imgur.com/fyYMJRP.gifv

LENNA NO

Red Mage/Dancer, huh... Kinda scared to see the rest of my team now.

Anyway, I reach Karnak and, uh...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final team is Red Mage / Dancer / Time Mage / Beastmaster. Interesting group.

Unsurprisingly, World 1 was a joke between Red Mage’s versatility and Time Mage being Time Mage, plus me being overleveled in case I rolled Knight for Brave Blade. Things should get more difficult soon, but I’ve got a team with lots of options so the rest of the game shouldn’t be too bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also use Protect on your party for Magisa/Forza and Garula, that cuts down a lot of the damage.

DalaranJ posted:

This is my first 4JF, so I'd like some advice on this profoundly mediocre roll (as far as I can tell).
Advice like, 'Go ahead and job fair for chemist.'

Gaia Gear boosts Titan's damage.

If you haven't beat World 1 yet, you can buy the L1 spells in Walse, get Shiva in Walse Castle, and Ramuh's a random encounter around Istory. When you hit World 2, Golem is a random encounter in Drakenvale, Shoat/Catoblepas is on an island as a random encounter (requires the submarine to access), and Carbuncle is in Exdeath's Castle. Once you hit World 3, go to the Pirate Cave to get Syldra, which with Air Knives will be your biggest damage dealer for the rest of the game, and Odin is in Jacohl Cave. You shouldn't need Bahamut but it's on North Mountain (requires Black Chocobo from Mirage), Phoenix is in Phoenix Tower on the other side of the region North Mountain is in (and not really worth getting for the effort required), and Leviathan is at the end of Istory Falls (or you can just skip the fight and summon, which you might as well because it's not as strong as Syldra or Bahamut).

You'll learn to love Golem and Syldra especially. Otherwise, practice running for the Chicken Knife, which the Ranger and Dancer will both love. Once you get the airship in World 3, grab the Thief Knife in Mirage (it's a hidden item at the bar) and steal a Red Dress or two from Parthenope (Equip Ribbons lets non-Dancers wear it, it's nice armor in general and boosts the chances of Sword Dance triggering).

Otherwise, World 2 you'll be relying a lot on Monk and Summoner. Ranger's !Animals is random but is at a good point where you'll roll Nightingale for some free healing, so make use of that. Titan isn't going to be impressive damage, but it'll be all you got really so learn to love it. World 2 will be your toughest part, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Flare is useful for enemies with high Magic Defense and no weaknesses to Fire/Ice/Lightning.

There are very few of those enemies though, so it's overshadowed hard by boosted -agas.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zerilan posted:

One thing as far as resources/guides go, is there any list of good grind spots throughout a run? I know there's the money dogs, and prototypes and later shield dragons if you have !control, but is there any good list of such spots? Noticed sometimes I have a party that breezes through w1/2 well enough that I don't think to stop to level much then kind of feel really underpowered for chunks of w3.

Not sure of a list, but a few other areas of note.

* Bal Basement, Statues give good AP and cash. L5 Death, Thunder magic, and Gold Needles wreck them.

* Undersea Trench is great if you've got White Mage or Bard.

* Top floor of castle (room between Hali and Twin) has Iron Giants. Pain to kill but have highest EXP.

* Movers in Rift awesome for AP and cash, though they're right before the final boss so only really useful for the big three bosses.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pneub posted:

I went with natural chaos and ended up with Dragoon, two Samurais, and a Blue Mage. I want to buy a replacement for one of the Samurais, because it's boring, but I don't want to give myself an advantage over what I got (assume Gil Toss isn't a thing). What should I replace it with?

And no Monks. I'm loving sick of Monks.

You're pretty set with Samurai and Blue Mage, honestly. You could do Knight for Brave Blade shenanigans with G-Punch, Bard or Chemist to boost levels to throw more cash, Beastmaster to make gathering Blue Magic slightly more convenient, or Berserker to enjoy the Rune Axe with !Blue, or really any job you want.

Random reroll may be fun, too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

You missed the word "natural" there, which appears to be a large part of the issue.

Can you blame me?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

derra posted:

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

Omega was a simple !Calmlock and relying on Chicken Dance procs. Omega got a couple attacks in but otherwise no biggie. Shinryu was a bit rough but the Dragon Whisker I (eventually) stole from him helped, as did all the Meteors I threw in his face. NED was a matter of Quickleaking the Almagest part (after I released a Breath Wing on these jerks, of course), and whittling the other two down with Chicken Dance, Dragon Whisker, and Meteor spam.

Not a bad team! I'm actually warming up to Red Mage a bit, they're crap offensively but are solid utility, and Sleep in particular was handy for a few boss fights. I used maybe a couple monsters with Beastmaster, but otherwise they did their usual thing. Dancer was my main offensive weapon, waiting to shine in World 3 per usual. And of course, Time Mage carried this team, and it was satisfying one-shotting Rift bosses with Quintuple Meteor. A fragile team, but that surprisingly didn't matter too much.

Think I'll hold off on a second run for now as I've got a backlog of other stuff to catch up on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chicken Knife is Moore. Illage in W3, go left side dkwn the path and wander in the woods a bit.

Rainbow Dresses can be stolen in Phoenix Tower using the Thief Knife in the Mirage Pub.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Started a second run because why not. So far party is Freelancer/Ninja/Monk. Monk is kind of a waste other than the stats I get for Freelancer, but whatever.

The question is whether I have the patience to master both Ninja and Monk on someone.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phoenix Tower also has Rainbow Dresses as a common steal from one of the enemies there, which is great armor for Dancer.

Also Reflect Rings if you need 'em.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rolling W2 right now with Freelancer/Ninja/Monk/Dragoon.

It's fun mashing A and steamrolling encounters, I just wish the Monk and Dragoon were more relevant. I guess Monk is good for giving stats to Freelancer, who's been helpful between copious rod breakage, Healing Staff, and constant whippings.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Freelancer/Ninja/Monk/Dragoon. Dragoon was just sort of there, while Monk was eventually an item bot and only good to make the other two jobs hit harder. Freelancer and Ninja kicked butt though, so no complaints on my end. Of course, I Brave Bladed it.

Don't think I'll tackle Omega though, rod-boosted Lightning Scrolls only do 1500ish and I'm not living long enough to survive all that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Weirdly enough, the majority of Blue Magic can be obtained in the Sunken Tower in World 3.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

With Beastmaster and Blue Mage, you can learn L3 Flare in Barrier Tower by Catching a Neon, hoping it hits the person with a Reflect Ring on so that the Red Dragon is Reflected, then Control the Red Dragon, use L3 Flare, and have it hit a person with Learning and a level that's a multiple of three.

I recommend having multiple people instead of just one under that criteria, though. I also recommend not having a Berserker.

I got it done, but it probably wasn't worth it. Then again, I can use it against Exdeath!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fun Fact: Goblin Punch does full damage while Mini.

I learn something new every fiesta!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Shoat/Catoblepas shows up there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008