Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Goons last year coached my very first playthrough of FFV to a triple crown. It was a blast and I an super pumped to do more runs this year. Please give it a try, even if you've never played the game before. It's a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I would really recommend Sulla's single character challenge write-ups to introduce you to all the nitty gritty details of the game and its various intricacies. There are spoilers, though, if that matters. The first two he did covering the Monk and the Black Mage go the most in-depth.

They're very informative and funny. I think I might reread some now!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I finished my second run of the fiesta (My first was DNC/DRG/SMN/FREE and it was kinda boring so I neglected posting it).

Run #2:Popular, Fifth Job MYS/MYS/NIN/KGTBLU

Gross! and the gang defeated everyone with the power and versatility of Blue Mage and Mystic Knight. Ninja made Chicken Knifing easy, what with !Smoke and Twin Lance. Fifth job is weird because Knight didn't really get much time to do anything and was outclassed damage-wise by my other jobs. Getting BLU towards the end of World 2 was kinda goofy. But I only needed a few spells to really make the job shine.

Shinryu was the first to go. Nothing unexpected here. Berserked with Wonder Rod and tanked the hits with !Image. Damage was mostly Flare Blade.

Omega was up next and took quite a bit of grinding. First, I stole from the Grenades in the Ronka part of the Void until I got a handful of Fire Shields, to nullify Atomic Ray. But then I was told that Aegis Shields could be stolen from a thing in the last part of the Void. So I stole one of those. Then I grinded to level 46, but I was still having trouble. My plan was to put !Blue on everyone and have my Blue Mage toss thunder scrolls with the thunder rod equipped. This was doing 2200-2400 damage. Everyone else would be on White Wind and Elixir duty. This strategy got Omega down under 20k pretty consistently, but if I caught bad rolls with Encircle or Blaster I was done for.

So I grinded everyone to level 50 and killed the robot on the very next try. I moved on from my initial strategy to hoping for Chicken Knife thundaga blades to land. I had enough land to bring Omega down quite low. My Chicken Knifer got encircled so I juggled phoenix downs and elixirs to buy enough time to throw more thunder scrolls. Fairly easy, once I had the levels and the gear.

NED was a joke by comparison. I was never really threatened at all. Magic Lamp'd Odin took out the one part, Break Blade eliminated the almagest part. The rest fell to Pinwheels, Aeoraga, and Flare Blade. Piece of Cake.

Here's the squad as they were, heading into the final battle.

Also one of the townies from Bartz's home was really disgusted by how Bartz's dad died.

I think this run qualifies for Aerdan's funny name toxx, Ritznit's TC w/o Time, Chemist, Bard, or Beast toxx, and Bufuman's duplicate job toxx, provided any of said toxxes haven't been fulfilled yet.

My next task will be finishing up the job randomizer run I started a few weeks ago.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

1234567890num posted:

Does this patch also randomize the GBA jobs? And does this also randomizes where we got the magic/songs/summons or is that another patch? I'll probably try to do this one after I finish my current run.

I'm doing a rando run right now with this patch. This one gives each job a randomized set of skills with randomized AP to gain. In my run, Summoner starts with !Rapid Fire, learns Equip Katanas at rank 1, !White 2 and rank 2, and so on. So whoever I give Summoner to, those are the skills they will learn.

That's the mild version. The extra spicy version gives each job for each character completely random skill sets. Faris as thief would learn completely different things than Bartz as a thief.

From what I can tell the randomizer doesn't touch the GBA jobs or Mime.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Randomizer Run!

This was something I really wanted to try last year, but was just too inexperienced to really power through. This time, I made it! This was a mild rando, with random jobs supplied by Carbybot. Here're the skills I had at my disposal:

code:

Ranger
	Default: !Mineuchi
	Skill 0: 30 !White 1
	Skill 1: 70 !Flirt
	Skill 2: 100 !Steal
	Skill 3: 170 !Call
	Skill 4: 300 Equip Ribbon
Black Mage
	Default: !Iainuki
	Skill 0: 15 !White 2
	Skill 1: 55 !Check
	Skill 2: 85 Equip Katana
	Skill 3: 170 !Catch
	Skill 4: 280 Equip Harp
Summoner
	Default: !Rapidfire
	Skill 0: 20 Light Step
	Skill 1: 45 !Chakra
	Skill 2: 80 Barehanded
	Skill 3: 170 !Flee
	Skill 4: 380 !Control
Red Mage
	Default: !White 6
	Skill 0: 30 MP +10%
	Skill 1: 75 !Guard
	Skill 2: 110 First Strike
	Skill 3: 170 Equip Rods
	Skill 4: 370 !White 6
Having !Iainuki on BLK really sped things up before I got !Flee. !White 6 is obviously very strong, at any point in the game. Why grind for Reflect Rings when you have Reflect? I got it on 2 of my characters. I didn't use BLK's !Catch as much as I should have, pretty much only used it on W2 Exdeath, who was my biggest roadblock this run. Outside of !Catch, SMN's !Rapid-Fire was my best damage at that point. Giving them Equip Katanas for the chance at crits, having my BLK also equip the wind katana (which did a solid 1300 damage from the back row when it proc'd), and RDM and RAN on heal duty.

Once I got Holy, though, the game pretty much fell apart. I had two people hurling Holy at NED, my summoner was !Rapid-Firing the chicken knife. And Ranger was plinking away with Yoichi's bow. Having !White made things absurdly safe, though I did grind levels just for security.

I really enjoyed this. Maybe next time I try it I'll plan out an extra spicy version. Thanks for the challenge, Doom Goon!