Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I'm curious about trying this out this year, some quick questions from a total FF5 newbie (only played FF6, FF8 and some of FF7 before)

1. The way I understand it, throughout FF5 you collect crystals that allow you to reclass your party members, and the challenge is to allow the Gilgabot to select which classes you take? I don't mind a challenging first run, just want to be sure I do it right. The game makes it perfectly clear when to do this, right?

2. From my research, it seems the best version of FF5 is the GBA one with the music restoration patch? Is that best to start with?

3. Is the default challenge the best for a beginner?

Thanks!

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the info! I think I understand now. I'll register and get the GBA rom going on my CFW Switch.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like I'm starting as a Thief! I don't know if that's good or not, guess I'll find out!

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

So I've just arrived at the first town in World 2 with this team. I've never played this game before and am trying to more or less go it blind, the only resource I've used was the google doc posted earlier in the thread to read about the classes I rolled.

So far, I've done pretty well with my Red Mage doing the bulk of the work by breaking rods. Most of the money I earned up to this point went to buying rods to keep this bad habit going.

The intro sequence to world 2 with Gilgamesh and the Bridge was quite hectic for me, I barely made it through alive (had to break into my Elixir stash, only 12 left now!)

I don't know if there's a place to buy rods in World 2 or not, which has me going through withdrawals a bit. I have about 15 left, but it's obvious I can't keep relying on them. Which means that my Red Mage needs to take a seat a bit and let the rest of the group pull some weight.

Fortunately, I stole that Tiara that ups Dancer's Sword Dance chance to 50%, which is helping a bit.

Three quick questions:

1. About how much game do I have left? I'm enjoying the heck out of this game and am curious how far I am from the end.

2. Am I going to get absolutely destroyed with this team if I miss picking up anything from here to the end?

3. This is mechanically the best Final Fantasy game I've played. Part of that may be the self imposed challenge of the FJF, but I still really like how you can make anybody anything. Do any other Final Fantasy games have a similar system?

Thanks!

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the answers everyone! Excited to get back to it. I'll be on the lookout for a Chicken Knife and a Rainbow Dress.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Goons, help! I'm at the finish line of my run, facing down Neo Exdeath and have hit a solid wall. This is my first time through the game, so it's been a blast and I've tried to mostly play it blind (although I did use a walkthrough to find the Phantom Village and to figure out the best equipment for my classes)

My classes are: Thief, Red Mage, Ranger, Dancer. All around level 40. I did most of the endgame quests even though I couldn't use most of the rewards.

My strategy through most of the endgame has relied on my Dancer's Sword Dance with a maxed out Chicken Knife, with everyone else as support. As soon as Neo Exdeath comes out I immediately kill one of his forms with the Magic Lamp and Odin. Then while Sword Dance hits Neo Exdeath for 9999 damage, even if I get it to proc three or four times on the Dragon Head Almagest section, there's no way I've been able to do enough damage to it kill it before it casts Almagest. Almagest wipes my party, and I haven't found a combination of equipment yet that'll get even one guy to survive it.

I need to either find a way to make one of the other three make up the other 20,000 damage or so before Almagest is first cast, or find a way to survive it once, and that's assuming there aren't any other nasty surprises waiting.

With time running out for the fiesta, is my only option to grind like crazy? Or is there some tactical wizardry that may give me a chance?

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks so much! Made it through.

The kicker was using the Wonder Wand to get a Shell on my Red Mage so she'd survive the Almagest. I had no idea Wonder Wand cycled through a set list like the Magic Lamp. Once I got through that it wasn't hard at all to get everybody up and going again, since I had two Doublecast users. Once it was down to two forms left it was as simple as casting Libra a bunch to make sure I wore them down evenly. Dancer did all the hard work but Thief with "Equip Bows" and Yoichi's Bow helped out too.

Not going to try the optional bosses, maybe next year. Thanks again, definitely going to make a donation in the morning.