Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

How likely is it for berserker risk to net somebody multiple berserkers? Has anyone ever done it and got only one or zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Isn't there a place you can change your name? Can't remember where or in what version though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Pretty sure that's Namingway, and he's only in FF4.

No, I played the Advance version a few months ago and I'm positive there was an NPC somewhere who offered to let me change it. Maybe Boko or maybe I just imagined it.

Incientally that was a pseudo fiesta run. For the real thing I can't decide whether to berserker risk or not. That every class challenge sounds fun and I'm also worried about the difficulty curve. My pseudo run was Black Mage Time Mage Ninja Summoner which struck me as one of the easier possible combinations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I did Sealed Temple for my pseudo run. Definitely gotta agree with the whole ton of that post. Encounter rate is way too high with enemies that can easily wipe you on the first round and the whole place is an obnoxious maze. Thief and Beastmaster are required, but running away is impossible unless you've got a Ninja with autohaste which I did, unfortunately, or else I might have just given up then and there.

I actually did manage to power through most of the bosses. For the most part I thought they were pretty fun, actually, but yeah, Archdaemon would have been totally impossible if I didn't happen to have the Black Mage Time Mage Summoner combo. Enuo was the point I just gave up though, because its version of Almagahest was a total party wipe that could only be countered by grinding for more HP. Even with what may well be the best possible team for that dungeon the whole thing was such a slog that I just gave up on it, and I'm usually too stubborn and stupid to give up on anything.

(which incidentally is why I still can't decide if I want to do Berserker Risk or not)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

The high encounter rate seems like a non-issue since you need a Thief to complete the Sealed Temple anyway, which means you'll have Back Attack protection and the !Flee skill. Some of the bosses very much operate under the assumption that you've mastered the strongest abilities in the game by that point though.

I figured that as long as I didn't gain any exp or ability points while I was making mandatory use of Thief and Beastmaster I was still in the spirit of the run. But yech, it seems like they'd both be dead weight if you actually roll them naturally.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

OK, you talked me into it. Signed up with Berserker Risk. Sincerely kind of surprised there aren't more players whose names are just whatever random gibberish Twitter gives you when it makes a new account.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

How intensive is the all jobs patch? Does it just activate all jobs sooner change the NeoExdeath sprite and that's it? I'm curious how feasibly it can be attached to a rom that's already been patched once.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm being nice and patient and only asking for new jobs as I need them. Black mage start was a bit of a bummer, since that was my pseudo fiesta- and it was even easier than I remembered. Might as well have tried to speed run the thing without even visiting the towns. Now it's Berserker, which was inevitable with risk really. The real question is whether I'm getting another one too.

So I'm playing the Korean SNES fan translation, which is obviously based on the English one. The wet Faris scene was super goofy, because she claimed that if the other pirates had known she was a girl, they would have treated her like an idiot. Was the original like that too?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

And a second berserker for me. The person right next to me on the player's list only has one berserker and they risked too...so does that mean everybody got one this year and some of us got two? Did we ever find out the amount of money that would equal one berserker versus the number that risked?

Oh, and I did random. So conceivably maybe the ratio was under one and I just got a natural one too. And I could get another for that matter...does Gilgabot always say hahaha when you get a berserker or is that only for risk berserkers?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Black mage is so overpowered I'm not feeling the double risk at all. Before topping off world one I just wanted to know- will the doom sickles auto revive the final boss's zombie form? Do I need a backup weapon?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sweet. Thanks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

And Geomancer to close it out. So...hm, can Black Mage / Berserker / Geomancer triple crown? Omega seems doable, if difficult, but I'm not seeing any obvious path for Shinryu short of power-leveling. How low level can I go for just NeoExdeath? I'm side-eying that "combined party levels under 100" challenge.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

You can always Berserk Shinryu with Wonder Wand and beat him to death that way.

Right, but how do I deal with the physicals one shotting me? Just a revolving door of phoenix downs from my two non-berserkers?

Oh, that reminds me, during the fight with Archaeovis I noticed my berserkers would attack immediately on revival. Do they always do that or is it just random?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So how important is Flare really? I know that the level three elemental spells do about the same damage as long as you have the right rods, and are cheaper, so I'm just wondering when Flare is indisputably critical if you have a black mage. As in, worth doing a whole two extras dungeons critical.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

It's the same grind as for one character because lmao if you think I'll stick to Fiesta rules while grinding with Lvl 5 death for half an hour of drudgery, just make two Ninjas for that session imho

Semi-EDIT: Don't forget Mineuchi as a way to avoid CK procs, it doesn't paralyze (on GBA), but bypasses the trigger afaik

Speaking of ignoring tedious Fiesta rules, how do you all feel about Upgrade? It sounds interesting to me in theory, but in practice it sounds like you're just forced to grind the hell out of the wind and water crystal jobs if you want to get even one useful skill out of them, especially with regards to the mage classes. Cheating via waiting until you get the last skill you want naturally seems more sensible, or just having designated grind times once you get access to the squirrels. I was thinking of trying a Normal Upgrade for my second run but that particular inconvenience nags at me.

My other idea was to use the fiesta patch and do a Chaos / Pure Chaos Natural Run and just setting everyone's classes right away. I've been noticing lots of distasteful comments about Natural though. Why is that? Not as much fun because there's no skill mixing?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bregor posted:

I always buy three because I get the fourth one in the Rift Castle! (Yes I'm lame, shut up.)

Oh good. I just started the third world and was thinking of hoofing it to the rift right after pyramid but I was afraid I wouldn't have enough cash for anti Exdeath gear. Thing is, if I grind for more, I just know I'll want to try for a triple crown which logically just seems like an awful idea with Black Mage Zerk and Geo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well, finally powered my way to NeoExdeath and yikes, that sure was a steep spike. Barely made it past TwinTania, and I'm constantly at risk of getting killed by enemies that don't give up any experience in the final part of the Void. Almagahest predictably wipes out my Black Mage and Geomancer easily, and the Berserkers are no good. No shell access means I'm stuck going back and regrouping completely, with plenty of grinding now mandatory. Blech.

So my new plan is to grab the Chicken Knife, which I didn't bother with before less because I want its awesome power and more because I'd like to run away from those useless battles in the final stretch of the void every once in awhile. The Thor Axe and the Rune Axe do...nothing against NeoExdeath even when they hit? Huh? Guess I need another Earth Hammer too. Then Odin's fire shield and a couple of fire rings so I can heal myself with Black Magic. Magic lamp too. Is there anything else I need that I'm forgetting?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bad RNG (and also personal incompetence) drove me kind of crazy at the end there but I finally did it!

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: My Love For You is Like a Truck :siren:

Last year I bit off a bit more than most people could chew with my donation incentive. This year I'll keep it simple.
  1. For every goon who kills NED with two Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $5.
  2. For every goon who kills NED with three Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $25.
  3. For the first goon who kills NED with four Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $125; for any subsequent goons, $50 (while supplies last).
Only one goon can claim the big money. For all other runs, in any combination, the cap is $200.

Has anyone else done a multiple zerker run yet? I haven't noticed...things I wish I'd realized earlier- that even with Black Magic as my only reliable offense, I probably could have killed Necrophobe if I had used my first two magic lamp charges on him, instead of not even trying. Chicken Knife is absolutely critical just for getting through the tedium of the void even if you don't want to power it up. Anything that's not a powered cheese party really needs level forty at minimum. Keeping track of NEDs HP is stupidly important, and also Bone Mail is worthless against him. Break worked a lot more than I thought it would but the run I actually won on involved just killing the bottom right part normally since my Berserkers landed some lucky criticals on it. In addition to getting Meteod by failing to count properly I also got wiped by unlucky Grand Crosses just instakilling both my non berserkers, which was why I resorted to Break so often because some runs trying to kill it with magic was just ramming my head against the inevitability of a bad Grand Cross roll.

Ugh, OK, that's enough. Not sure when or if I'm going to try a second run. Maybe if there's a new wacky toxx that catches my attention. Oddly enough I'm still not really put off by Natural, I think mainly because this was already basically a natural run anyway. Terrain and Black Magic, in practice, seemed to do basically the same thing. Gaia Hammer Berserker was an easily skippable gimmick. At any rate I don't see how a natural run could be much worse than this one was, unless I somehow roll the exact same classes.

Oh yeah, question for that person from a few pages ago who swore never to do Upgrade again. Why not? What was it about your class layout that made your run unnecessarily difficult compared to if you hadn't chosen to use the Upgrade rules?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

No, I meant this year, activating the pledge.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Phoenix rules. Instant full HP and MP recovery. The only good excuse not to get it is if you have White Mage otherwise you have to extend two turns to restore party members back to fighting strength.

Just don't use it with the Bone Mail. Phoenix really hates the Bone Mail for some reason.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1143965622868553728?s=19

Good Friends fan representing.

This wasn't close at all

Boring as hell run (Sam Sam Zerk Geo). I realized soon that there's nothing for me in W3, sometimes I do the Fork Tower for challenge and to pick up odds and ends, but it was dire with this team. No synergy either.

I went into the Rift without having fought Gilgamesh for the Excalipoor, and that was my first time ever, because it was now that I realized he won't be there to blow up Necrophobe.

I went into the rift with too little healing, had 5 Phoenix Downs when ready for Nec AND NED; I declined fighting the former.

NED wasn't looking good, so I did what I rarely had to do before at this late stage: grinded for levels. Enough damage to race and levels to dodge some White Holes meant I had juuuust enough Downs.

Wait, you can skip Gilgamesh? How? By just not opening the chest?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Welp, I went through on my ill-advised plan to run Normal Upgrade, mainly because I never got elucidation from that one person who did it and hated it. I rolled Thief and so far it's...OK? I hear so much about Thief being awful, and it's certainly tougher than Black Mage for sure, but far from impossible. Of course, I'm not at Garula yet, and I'm not sure how much grinding is necessary to make that doable, I just remember that some enemy in the tower has the next tier of knives.

What really caught me off guard is that apparently you can't buy knives before the graveyard, so I was just stuck hoping that the skeletons would drop daggers. Given that I am doing upgrade, it seems like thieves are one of the better ones to roll since you get access to their main important abilities relatively quickly. It's also the only mode where earning those abilities even matters, since otherwise you have access to them all the time via your native thief.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

blinking beacon nose posted:

Am I the only person who hates Krile? As a character and probably as a person too?

She looks at you in battle. Which makes her look more than weird compared to everyone else, it makes her a Goddamn creep. Stop. Focus on what you're loving doing and make yourself halfway useful.

And she's a Mary Sue who sees illusions and can talk to all of the animals or whatever. She's a second rate Lenna. Then she has the audacity to replace Galuf, which is much more a sin than anything Exdeath has ever done.

When Galuf is in my party, he leads it. When Krile's in it, she's dead loving last. During that section where it's just Bartz and her, she goes into the last slot and Bartz the first because I want her as far away from anyone else as possible. I swear I'm gonna just kill her off and leave her dead forever when I get to her.

:yayclod:

Gah, I never thought I'd do one of these but this is just too inspirational.

:toxx:

I will donate $10 for each Forbidden Run up to $100 that goes the extra mile and kills off berserker Krile as soon as possible, playing the rest of the game afterwards as a Three Job Fiesta. To prove this I will need-

Final party screenshot of Galuf
Final party screenshot of Krile at Galuf's exact same level
Dead berserker Krile visible at Exdeath death in World 2
Dead Krile visible at NeoExdeath death

edit: Berserker for World 2 since that's the main chokepoint, but I'll be more lenient for the victory screenshot since that has to be submitted to Gilgabot.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 29, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

That's a good question. According to the website you can add #natural or #upgrade at any time but it's ambiguous whether you can add #fifthjob or #forbidden even though theoretically those seem like easier things to add last minute. They're all classified as mutually exclusive restrictions. I'd say try to see if Gilgabot will let you do #forbidden first but if not go for it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You can also split the difference with random. 30 times as many possibilities as normal with no need to mess around with freelancers or the fiesta mod. The only catch is that the increased variation comes at the expense of decreased odds for rolling later classes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Oh durr, I completely forgot that dead characters lose their costumes. Never mind about making dead Krile a Berserker then since I won't be able to tell the difference. Plain old honor system- besides, I figure the only people crazy enough to try for my toxx want a challenge anyway.

So! Help for me. Upgrade has been interesting, if slow. Thief to Mystic Knight has really helped me appreciate the sheer variety of broadswords. Once I realized that level six magic sword would require more AP than I'd accumulated the entire game to date I figured I'd just stick to level five coming off the Hiryuu Flower. Then I get Ninja and now I'm left wondering- how badly do I really need dual-handed? Do I just run Magic Sword Ninja the rest of the game because none of my four final classes will be anything that good? I don't want to cheat and peak ahead for my final class to see if I get Chemist, but I do want to Triple Crown if at all possible.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

derra posted:

If you do upgrade, Dancer or Chemist will let you get Omega done pretty easily; Samurai or Dragoon, not so much. Chemist is hands down the pick for Shinryu followed by Dragoon, but any of the available comps can do him given sufficient levels.

How does Spellblade interact with Dual wield? Spellbalde affects both weapons, right? If you switch one of the weapons, does it end the effect foe thar weapon only?

Ooo, I just thought of something. If my off-hand is something that can't be magic sworded, does that mean I can skip Omega's counters? That alone might be good reason to hold on to Ninja at least until Omega's out of the way.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I will point out for the record that not getting Spellblade 6 is a BIG mistake.

Yeah, I thought as much. I was just thinking, was it really worth the 400 AP time investment when I'm already kind of sick of Mystic Knight? And I only juuust found out that there's good AP grinding enemies under Galuf's castle. Oh well.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

The only thing that concerns me about this is you're still dealing with Omega's evasion, and I'm not sure if missing gets treated the same as zero damage re: skipping the counters.

Also, the mirage vest exploit would lead me to believe that any equipment shuffling would cancel spellblade effects on both weapons.

It doesn't. I tried that against the living flame I think, and ended up concluding I had to keep at least one person non-magicked to deal with the hand.

That's why I was looking up Object d'arts actually. I was wondering whether I would need TwinLances for everybody to get past the Crystals since dual Firaga Spellblades would only get me past the first three. If I'm stuck grinding out anyway, what's the most useful buff for my mystery fourth class- Spellblade 6 or Dual Wield? I haven't actually started my third leg yet.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Ehhhh? Chicken knife will obviously make things go faster, and you're definitely not damage racing Omega without it, but if you're willing to commit to a slower strat you can conceivably make lesser knives work. Thundaga sword chicken knife starts capping around the mid 30s, which is the lowest level I'd even consider tackling Omega at with that team anyway. At that level, Sasuke does about 4k, Assassin's dagger about 3.5, and thief/air knives are somewhere between 2 and 2.5. These damage numbers are essentially identical for both mystic knight and ninja, incidentally. More levels beyond the mid 30s will gradually decrease the relative value of the chicken knife. You've also got lightning scrolls to help compensate for the lack of good knives, and !spellblade will pump up their damage, albeit not as much as a dedicated magic job would.

I was planning to go after Omega in the late twenties to avoid having to use elixirs to deal with the wave beam attack. Am I being unreasonable? Bear in mind this strategy assumes that off-handed zero damage hits won't provoke counters, and I won't know that for sure until I actually try it.

Another question- does Carbunkle wear off? I just realized I have access to it via magic lamp, which would allow me to ditch wall rings for emission protection or running shoes, but when I'm doing a marathon that requires maybe twenty hits I'm not sure how feasible a reflect that wears off after only a few turns would be.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So the Magic Sword Ninja no Omega counter experiment was a failure. If the second hit is a miss Omega's flag is still set and unfortunately the accuracy on Ninja's wacky no magic sword weapons is so low that it never ever hits.

Not sure what to do now. Upgrading from Ninja seems risky. The Chicken Knifer gets 10k, and the dancing sword user can get 20k on sword dance rounds. It's hard to imagine beating damage like that, but even with grinding, how am I supposed to keep them alive long enough to last through two reflected searches?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Four Ninjas with access to Mystic Knight and Thief abilities. Equipment's not ideal- two coral rings, two wall rings, and agility boosting equipment. How do I attack more than that? Running shoes, while using Magic Lamp Carbuncle for defense and just hoping I can plaster Omega enough in one phase that it's dead or mostly dead?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Funny you should mention that- I just had the exact opposite experience, where all four of my characters appear to have maintained bone mail status protection even though I only had three of them. I was sure that I didn't give one to Krile but neither she nor anyone else is getting confused by Omega's rocket punch.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So I finally took down Omega, next stop is Shinryu. I have no Berserk access. Looking at the script, it seems like I might be able to use the Bone Mails I pilfered for fighting Omega? Ice Shield + Bone Mail + Coral Ring + Image seems like enough to nullify just about everything Shinryu can throw at me without needing to worry about permanent Bone Mail death. As far as what level I need, I have no idea except that I obviously need to be a prime number. I've almost unlocked Samurai's ultimate move, so grinding shouldn't be an issue.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

The problem with that setup is Lightning, which, with Coral Rings, will do 50% of your max HP (25% with a Diamond Helm), and healing is limited with the Bone Mail. You could use Drain Sword, but then you'd have to give up !Image, which is a no-go.

Maybe give up the Bone Mail in favour of Elixir-healing? It only helps against Roulette (single-target) and Poison Breath (not that damaging) anyway. Alternatively, Coral Rings, Mirage Vests, and !Throw on everybody. With a lucky pattern, Fuma Shurikens should be able to kill him before he kills you.

Yup, ended up coming to the same conclusion you did. Only problem now is, I'm at level 43, do not want to grind to 47...which leaves the rng. I very stupidly sold the main gauche at some point, and accidentally skipped mirage vest because I didn't realize entering the void made you lose access to it. Yes, I know I could hunt down more and steal them but...is that really worth the effort? For one fight? When Samurais already have like fifty percent dodge to start with? Even at its worst Shinryu's pattern isn't as bad as Omega's.

Speaking of which I have no idea how I could have handled Omega with Ninjas. The lack of haste or any kind of defense makes it look like I had to hope on getting four lucky punches as fast as possible. The odds on that being uh...3/5112 I think. Before taking accuracy and counters into effect, of course. Makes trying to stop Omega with the Stop spell look halfway sensible.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 11, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

derra posted:

Why couldn't you use haste?

I beat him with Ninja Samurai Samurai Samurai, although I did grind to 85

I'm on Upgrade, so I only just got access to Haste. And it's still weird to think I'm only going to use it for this one fight. Legit can't think of anything to give anyone that's better than running shoes outside of the tidal wave problem.

How did you grind that high by the way? I hated just doing the five, and those were lower levels. I knew it was only going to get worse after that.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I just do not get the mobile version at all. So many of the changes seem to be deliberately designed to make challenge runs more difficult to the point of being impossible just to force you to play in the way the designers intended. Or at least whatever the Matrix people are assuming was the intended way. A lot of those decisions strike me as being especially dubious, like preventing Search from redirecting counters. I mean why even give Omega that move in the first place if it wasn't supposed to be a weak spot?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Run number two, complete!

Aerdan posted:

I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

No context allowed for foreign language runs, the only kind I can tolerate.

Big thanks to the thread for help on this. My Thief-Mystic Knight-Ninja-Samurai Upgrade team was only just barely able to scrape by this fight. I belatedly realized that the Gengji Helm protected from Confuse too, but not Blaster. Ah well. Rare steals are...obnoxiously tedious, but not exactly impossible.

Speaking of which, I decided to try and grind for Mirage Vests anyway- gave up in disgust after an hour of not getting any and just went back. Very first try, I win, to my great shock. I didn't think I was even getting close because Shinryu wasn't hitting me with Zombie Breath under 20,000 HP. This one also goes for the last survivor toxx pledge, but I couldn't find that one in the second post and it might be closed now? I don't remember. Mine definitely isn't though. I think two people announced they're trying for it? No Krile playthrough, if you really want the challenge.

After all that NeoExdeath was stupidly anticlimactic. Like, why even bother with with Break Sword and Magic Lamp when GP Toss takes him down so fast anyway? Being level 43 might have had something to do with that of course.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Asimov posted:

The way I read the rules you actually don't reveal or use your jobs until you get the crystal shards for each crystal, so that wind shrine should be a breeze with a bunch of lvl 4 freelancers. Seems like lots of people immediately reveal all 4 jobs but that lets you plan ahead and takes away some of the surprise. That's right, the surprise of realizing you have to go back and buy all the white magic or get the rest of the summons after Galuf leaves and you're down to 3 party members. Fun. and exciting.
:goonsay:

Strictly speaking do you really need to get the rest of the summons if Summoner is on Earth Crystal? The level one and two summons are only useful for bosses that you'll have already beaten by then, and adding them to your squad just diminishes the utility of !Call. Maybe you'll want Ramuh for Omega but even in that case you can just grab him at the castle anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Didn't someone come up with some nutty way to Magic Sword the basic Thunder spell by mixing something with nothing? Give that to your Ninja and you'll probably have semi-decent damage output.