Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Kheldarn posted:

Also, Can Of Worms, if you don't mind, can you share any tools you have for editing FFVA? I found 2 that let me edit some things, but nothing that will let me add more skills to jobs or grant innate abilites like you did for your Balance Patch.
There aren't really any tools to do that at the moment, you have to directly edit the ROM in a hex editor. Skill trees in particular have arbitrary lengths so you need to do a bunch of shuffling if you want to change those. This discord is probably the best place to get started on doing that if you want to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Finally finished my first run, Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai. Surprisingly this was not a no750 run, just a normal run with berserker risk that happened to roll no750 jobs. I also believe this is the first run I've ever gotten Ranger with. For this run I ran it with my patch, which includes a few changes I didn't try out previously, notably the Cursed Ring; I did a first attempt at NED at level 29 as HP+500 gave my monk enough HP to survive Almagest, but there was just too much RNG to overcome on top of that. If I remembered about the Cursed Ring at that point I might have been able to figure something out but I didn't so I grinded up a few extra levels and AP for skills. My overall final strategy with NED was:
  • Ranger (with innate !Rapidfire :getin:) and Barehanded, as well as an equipped Curse Ring to max out Chicken Knife damage, although I didn't even bother maxing it out and sat at around 121ish attack.
  • Monk with !Zeninage to support the team, as even with the buffs in my patch the damage just doesn't compare to the other 3.
  • Berserker with 3x !Rapidfire and Rune Axe to dish out insane damage.
  • Samurai with Masamune and HP+500 to survive Almagest, as I didn't actually have any better skills. Also ended up using !Zeninage for support.

I do wish I had gotten Dragoon or Mystic Knight to play with the changes I made with them but the Monk and Ranger changes were fun. It did take a long time before I actually got to have a Ranger with innate !Rapidfire so I might make it come earlier in the future. I also wish I had the time to finish up the 0.7 update, which has a pretty cool and extensive planned feature, but it was not meant to be. I'll do a second run on an Extra Spicy ROM next.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Sneaking an Extra Spicy run on the last day :toot:

As my first run was effectively a no750 run (Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai), I did a Random 750 run (Black/Blue/Summoner/Dancer). This was a pretty interesting Extra Spicy run, you can see the details of my team here. I'll summarize the interesting bits:
  • Bartz ended up being a physical job due to having no magic abilities as the baseline (he had Rapidfire, Mug, Jump and Control as his secondaries.) He ended up as a Blue Mage for the first two thirds of the game, using the Sleep and Ancient blade to land statuses. The rest of the game had him Rapidfiring the Chicken Knife, followed by Spellblade for the final battle to land Break.
  • Lenna was in a unique position dabbling as a Black Mage or Summoner with Equip Katana for most of the game. I leveraged that to have her swing Wind Slashes with the Wind Slash katana, then eventually specialized in pure magic for the endgame as a Blue Mage with Summon 5.
  • Galuf/Krile and Faris ended up not having exciting skill trees, all the decent skills were on the later end so they just got stuck in whatever job had useful skills. Faris in particular had *really* bad skill trees, the most useful skill she had was Summon 4. (Note that I'm ignoring Mix because it's stupidly broken and I only use it for Omega and Shinryu.)
  • Due to their anemic skill trees, Galuf/Krile ended up as a Summoner with a major in Black and a minor in Time, which made them good support with access to haste. Meanwhile, Faris ended up being the Dancer for most of the game as most of the Dancer skill trees were bad (Galuf was the only decent one with White 5) and she had the most useful secondary as a Dancer (Animals). She did occasionally substitute in as a Black Mage with White magic for boss fights. For the endgame Krile was a Summoner with Black and White 5 and Faris was a Black Mage with White and Summon 4.
  • This team definitely could have defeated the superbosses, but I didn't want to spend more time on it so I finished the run as quickly as possible, ignoring Fork Tower and even skipping Necrophobe and saving Gilgamesh!

This Extra Spicy run felt a lot different from my previous runs. In the old runs I struggled a lot with planning skill progression and making sure everyone had the right skills available at each point of the game, while as in this run I mostly stuck with the base skills and relied on a small number of learned skills for most of the game. The takeaways I took from this run is that most Equip Skills aren't that exciting and should get lowered in the trees, as having them available earlier makes the midgame more interesting, so I'll end up updating the randomizer with that in mind!