Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Time to zerker risk. Missed out on it last year because I started late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(GBA cart is best version for Fiesta.)

GBA "cart" with the sound patch on a 3ds was cool and good.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

This year I will actually finish more than one run. First run will be SNES Classic with GBA translation patch, and then second will be Matrix because I hate myself.

Third run will be proper GBA with speedup. I won't say more than 3 runs because if I finish 3 runs I'll be happy.

There's the project demi version which removes all the cutscenes and has optional 2x/4x exp and abp mods and "bosses give exp and abp" mods. Gotta deal with the rpge translation though which kinda sucks

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Poque posted:

I scream into the Void about it every year, but I really can't handle the GBA version. I'm too used to the larger field of view from SNES for the updated translation to matter (especially since I fast forward through 80% of the game at this point) and I'm too lazy to patch out the godawful GBA soundtrack.

Also for whatever reason the font is completely unreadable to me.

I think there is a patch that puts the gba translation into the snes version now. Not sure though

big downside of the snes version imo is all the fake NED spots that mess up rapid fire and meteo

edit: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3687/ GBA script port

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 23, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm gonna hop in this year for my first time playing FF5.

Hold me, I'm scared.

You'll be fine. I did my first ff5 playthrough as a fiesta run last year. It was a lot of fun.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

They also just started beta testing an update to project demi that rolls in most of the new non randomizer features that were added to Career Day (like being able to toggle the exp/abp multiplier between 1, 2, and 4 in game instead of having to patch a new rom)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 28, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

fits posted:

will this be the year that the laws of the universe mean something

It'll be the year of the dragon grass modifier. Whatever that ends up meaning.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1133937139622617089

vv: Oh.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 30, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's not what my doctor says :argh:

What's their opinion on songs?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

the new role was discovered

#regWinner #BERSERKRRISK time imo

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

So what is a Winner Run?

Either the result of those twitter polls (it's a subset of regpopular) so Blue Mage, White Mage, Time Mage, and Summoner or it has something to do with The Run. RK hasn't specified beyond "it's a subset of popular which is why it shows up as a Popular run when you registered"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Huzzah! posted:

Reg'd Chaos Risk. If yer gonna risk, why not risk a quad zerker team.

Because we want purple name text in the discord

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

Why does dancer have -3000 votes for The Run?

The four jobs from last year start at -3000

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Ritznit posted:

Will all the goon-made pledges for run incentives get put into the OP?

Yeah they're going in the third post

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 1, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

You can beat Rug Wizard without berserk. You just need to uh, sit there for hours as he drains his mp with reflect rings.

9999 MP so it takes a long time but it's easy, just tedious.

It's more like 30,000 MP so tedious doesn't begin to describe it. Though if you can silence him for a moment an give him an ether then you can drop him down to 9999 MP

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

OzFactor posted:

I would also doubt it works. I'm far from one of you goofy FF5 Mechanics Wizards but it seems like whatever they had to do to change his Reset to let him cast it while Berserked would also let him cast it with no MP, i.e. it might not be a spell anymore.

edit: although I guess that doesn't explain why he can't do it Silenced...

Well the mage masher silence doesn't work either but when he casts silence reflected onto himself it does stop the reset? Going by old fiesta posts in the fjf official reddit that showed up for someone playing the game on an iphone so that person could have just been wrong but maybe it literally checks for the spell cast from either omniscient or a party member and differentiates from weapons casting the spell or something.

Or it just triggers the reset before the mage masher casts silence since you did an attack.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Depends. Is it a DSi? Probably can work something out with CFW but I'm not sure. A regular DS Lite? No, get your phone camera.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Ime this is nbd since the 3 optional tablet dungeons are super easy(one boss is killed instantly, one has no boss, and the other boss is non threatening if you don't use aoe). But I would not advise it if it's your first time

The hard and/or tedious part is ending up with no magic using jobs while still having to fight rugwizard in order to get your last job/open up the submarine

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Procrastine posted:

I saw this and thought "wait isn't Mega Flare reflectable?" Turns out Archeodemon has GIGA Flare, which is non-reflectable.

How do level shenanigans work for 17? Dark Spark goes 17 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1, which doesn't let you get L3 Flares in. I guess you could always use Aqua Breath/Vampire/Mind Blast/????/1000 Needles if you hate yourself

The other classes are Flare, Bahamut, Meteor, Shadow Flare and Requiem respectively, right?

Not that it matters because no one should be doing Sealed Temple :v:

Level shenanigans work via chemist leveling him up to something that is affected by lvl 3 flare or lvl 5 death with hero drinks

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Appropriate FJF parties for the Brave Blade:

Knight + Berserker x3
Knight x2 + Berserker x2

That's it. No, this does not include Knight x3 + Berserker, that one should be two-handing the Rune Axe or something.

Now now don't forget about donation toxxes

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

derra posted:

Thanks, being over 35 means I don't get this Discord thing

Think of it as sort of IRC with the option to use voice chat channels

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

zenguitarman posted:

Is #advance like chaos? I just got this on Android so I can play on the go and was gonna do pure chaos, but was kind of curious about those new classes

advanced is a little different. All the non GBA jobs are mashed into the first three crystals. The GBA jobs (gladiator, cannoneer, and oracle) are in the last crystal but don't unlock until you do all 4 tablet dungeons.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

mp5 posted:

Also those jobs are mostly weird and bad except for Gladiator

Cannoneer is an amazing offensive chemist.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

mp5 posted:

Guess I need to job fair one this year. It really didn't seem to do anything special, and became available too late in the (unmodified) game to get much use out of.

Cannoneer is nuts check the infoposts on the discord. It's almost a free triple crown (omega still can fight back but you can inflict slow on them)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

Thief Knife mugging took Faris until half of NED was dead and the last part was almost dead so I had to kill Lenna but it's done. I got me my two Ragnaroks.

edit: also first run done

01) Winner Risk --- Blue Mage / Berserker / Summoner / White Mage

like all the other Winner Risks but this was the first time I got to use Blue Mage. Blue Mage is ridiculous and I love it. Real mean of RK to give us white mage after the Ronkan Ruins pushing white wind off until the meatfort. Killed Shinryu the old Berserk + Blink way.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 19, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Also if you're on the snes version, there's two dummy targets on NED that only Berserkers and Meteo hit because gently caress you.

Also rapid fire

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Butes Run.

Run 2 done. Mystic Knight / Thief / Beastmaster / Ranger

This run was rough at times early on between Sol Cannon being a jerk and I forgot to catch something for bridge greg so he started doing 1000 damage jumps. After getting past that though the rest of W2 and all of W3 was easy besides Omega 'cause beastmaster calmlock doesn't work on him on the SNES. I had to grind up to level 50 to pull the fight off and it still took like 4 attempts. Shinryu wasn't that bad since Beastmaster could still berserk and blind him. NED was a cakewalk after taking out half of him with the lamp and break blade.

Project Demi's pretty nice. Skipping cutscenes and turning off encounters is really useful

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 21, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Oh boy this is gonna be umm...well I'm just gonna have to steal 8 twin lances aren't I

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Pre-fire ship bard is just a slightly worse thief, it's doable. My worst start was quad-time mage karlabos and siren

Quad mimic karlboss is going to be rough and is what I have coming up. a dagger, a knife, and two staffs are what I got til the dagger grind.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Aerdan posted:

I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

Crikey! Galuf has fun swears:

Crikey! Krile got revenge on NED with the Lamp after the party stabbed him a lot and threw all the legendary weapons (and some shurikens and a baker's dozen of twin lances) at him:

Crikey! Shinryu took awhile with only two people really doing damage to him but hey he couldn't hit anyone since they all knew !image:

So yeah run 3 is done. Mimic, Ninja, Thief, Freelancer was "spam A to kill" the run. It was alright but had a lot of boring grinding even though 8 twin lances is pretty fun.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 25, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

Pulled this one off without too much issue thanks to Cannoneer.

Run 4: Advance Run - Blue Mage, Red Mage, Ranger, Cannoneer

Open Fire is a great single target ability until everyone else starts catching up in late W2. Still good after that but isn't as OP anymore. Blue Mage carried this team until Ranger came online with Rapid Fire Chicken Knife/other strong weapons. Red Mage was there to provide moral support/items after I got into W2. I bought 27 of each rod for W2 and W3 and didn't break any of them. Oh well.

Omega: Cannoneer was able to Slow Omega with Combine using Turtle Shells. After that it was just a matter of firing like 70 Iron Drafts at him for 820-880 damage a shot. He doesn't react to HP damage when you fire a status shot at him with cannoneer if the status would not effect him. I just had to use blue to white wind and mighty guard through any damage from a slowed Omega's normal AI routine. Basically didn't have to deal with Encircle or Mustard Bomb. He only Atomic Rayed once. I did have to use an elixir or two when Blue ran out of MP/Omega got a quick wave cannon -> maelstrom in and killed 2 people. At the end I dropped 5,000 damage worth of lightning scroll shots to finish him off and Lenna ate a rainbow wind and a couple rockets for her trouble.

Shinryu was easy. Cannoneer can berserk and blind him with !combine via Power drink and Ash. You only get two ash throughout the game and I had to use both to get Blind to stick. Cannoneer has a 75% chance to apply a status shot and it took two this time. After that it was just Faris rapid fire chicken knifing and everyone else using combine -> Dragon Fang shot to do double damage to Shinryuu (ended up being 3900ish) or using phoenix downs to pick up who was dead.

NED got off one Almagest and I had shell from mighty guard. He was never a threat. I alternated between Dragon Shot for Grand Croif and Needle Shot for 3000 damage to all parts. Faris just rapid fire chicken knifed for 1700ish damage a hit. NED didn't get to Grand Cross. Almagest died shortly afterwards. The Lamp killed a slowed wizard bones with odin.

Cannoneer is OP as gently caress once you get Combine. It's just too bad you can't buy any of the shots until after you get all the legendary weapons from the sealed castle.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 28, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Oh wow! Nice job Num!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Poque posted:

:toxx:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

:toxx:

COMPLETERS: Jose Valasquez, Darkoni, Fenrir

This was a very easy run. Run 5: Geomancer, Samurai, Knight, Chemist

So, Chemist is OP. Zeninage, is OP, Geomancer with a Brave Blade (and drugs) is good actually.

Very Good.

Very, Very Good. I tried to hit 9999 with turtle soup but I needed more strength. Oh well 9900 is close enough.

Omega: Killed with a single Geo with !Combine

Shinryu: Blind and Berserked by !Combine

NED: All the chemist buffs, lvl 99+ from dragon power, and a berserked Geo holding the Brave Blade. NED didn't stand a chance.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Run 6: Monk, Dancer, Bard, Gladiator

Gladiator is cool. I didn't feel like grinding up enough to get bladeblitz though or go kill Omega or whatever. Lvl 25-28 team for this one. I was afraid I'd run out of golden needles from white hole (used like 15 of the 30 I had brought with me).

Whatevs this team had so much offense thanks to bard's buffs that lamp bahamut did 9999 damage and swords dance chicken knife overflowed to 1216.
I'm glad I did have that offense because the couple times I messed around/missed al-majisti I got owned by almagest. This team was not gonna live through it.

One more run and I'll have played as all 25 jobs this fiesta (not about to count necromancer)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 1, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I just checked and Geo needed 56 strength to hit 9999. Dammit I was sooo close at 55.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Darwinism posted:

Why does Gilgabot love Oracle so much, damnit

He wants you to see the true power of succ.

ultrafilter posted:

If it were just this party I'd probably go with Dancer and write it off as a mildly unpleasant experience, but you should plan ahead. What do you have left for the next two runs, and how do you minimize the total unpleasantness?

Speaking of your 20 job challenge thing, I'm almost done with a 25 job challenge I fell into (and started job fairing for around the 5th run). Just one more run to go...

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 1, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Edit: Since it's come up a couple times, I want to add that there's no requirement to do this in only five runs. I just did that because I didn't want to play more than I did.

Took me 7 runs but I went above and beyond. 25 jobs out of 25 were used in this fiesta. God Oracle is weird but the cleansing - blessing chain saved my butt on NED. My team couldn't eat almagest so I had to jump over it with my sole dragoon then eat whatever attack came next followed by grand cross before I could resurrect people. One of the times was a 600ish damage attack while the dragoon had 320 health. Blessing healed him to full right as he landed and right before NED sent that physical attack his way.

Run 7: Black Mage, Time Mage, Dragoon, Oracle NED was a pain in the loving rear end due to the aforementioned not enough health to survive almagest and not enough damage to kill almagest. I struggled to get all 4 party members back up a couple times. NED would just kill one as soon as 2 were up. It sucked. Had to jump over like 4 or 5 Almagests. I should have just died and killed a mover to get jump on everyone. Would have made life much easier.

Aaaanyway.

Shinryu died to a bunch of Agas and Meteors after a power staff berserked him.

NED died to perservence and luck

25 outta 25 jobs.

Job Fair info:
Run 5: $4 to put in Geo and Knight

Run 6: $8 to put in Monk, Dancer, and Gladiator

Run 7: $9 to put in Time Mage, Dragoon, and Oracle.

Job Fair total $21

edit: I think I'm done for awhile. That was a lot of Fiesta over a few weeks.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 3, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Alternatively they can just use cannoneer to slow omega with slow cannon (gotta do all 4 tablet dungeons to get cannoneer shots unlocked) and then use vulner cannon to attack omega with everyone without omega counter attacking. Makes the fight far more manageable when omega is slowed and never used rockets, mustard bombs, or encircle.

Edit: means they have to grind out !combine on everyone but that's not hard with Bal basement and L5Death. Slow cannon is turtle shell + any cannon shot (blitz does the most damage). Vulner cannon is iron draft + any cannon shot. It'll do like 800ish damage depending on your level but it will be faster than a quickleak

Cannoneer can also berserk and blind shinryu so long as you still have the two ash items for blinding shin.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 5, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Run 8 Pure Chaos + Fifth Job: Chemist, Black Mage, Samurai, Summoner Dancer

Well that was really easy. Like the easiest Omega ever thanks to chemistry, reflect, and having the samurai wear a diamond helm and flame shield while the black mage got boosted to lvl 79 or 80 so they could land 9999 damage Thundagas on Omega. Shinryu was the old "berserk and blind" standby (thanks !mix). NED I kinda just gave everyone all the dragonfangs and holy waters they could handle. Bunch of lvl 99+ jerks with double hp, heavy, death shield, absorb fire/ice/lightning, and dragon defense kiiiinda murdered NED. He didn't get off almagest or grand cross.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

So I've got thief-summoner-ninja so far. With the ninja pull there really isn't a reason to run multiple thieves or to bother with trying to max that job out at all right? Side question, does magic help with ninja scroll damage at all?

Your magic stat does improve scroll damage. You'll want to get dualwield on the thief and ninja and also put summon on the ninja to make scrolls do more damage. Finally you'll want to steal some twinblades from the art in bal basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Going twinlance main hand and chicken knife off hand bypasses the flee proc on snes and gba.