Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

MagusDraco posted:

There's the project demi version which removes all the cutscenes and has optional 2x/4x exp and abp mods and "bosses give exp and abp" mods. Gotta deal with the rpge translation though which kinda sucks

If you remove all cutscenes, the translation hardly matters though, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, I suppose, although that sounds like something you'd get used to pretty quickly.

Managing an Omega kill on run 2 is very impressive, I have to say.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Shyfted One posted:

Was just trying to think of what party I'd hate to have and it'd probably be Bard, Berserker, Dancer, Dragoon in that order. You're going to be ok, but World 1 going to suuuuck. Maybe even reverse the Dancer and Dragoon so you can't even rely on sword dance until later.

I think you'd be okay once you get past Byblos. Bard songs and the Death Sickle should carry you through the rest of World 1. The same team with Monk instead of Berserker would be horrible until you reach World 3 though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

The worst no-modifiers FJF team (so one job from each crystal) is pretty universally felt to be Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Not only is there essentially no synergy, but all four jobs are incredibly ineffectual, and three of the four are made of sugarglass on top of that.

I'd much rather have Dancer than Dragoon in that line-up. Not just because Ribbons are great but because dancing with the Chicken Knife is the only worthwhile damage output you'll get in World 3.

I also think Red Mage is much better than Berserker in this setting. Far easier Worlds 1 and 2 due to rod-breaking, and World 3 gives you plenty of flexibility with the spell list up to level 3 and Wonder Wand/Power Staff shenanigans. Plus, Sword Dance with the Rune Blade and a Lamia's Tiara is actually decent damage. Berserker by comparison gives you little aside from Death Sickle. Even its endgame damage is going to be meh because you don't have a secondary ability that boosts the Magic score for the Rune Axe.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Eh. Grinding out Dualcast sucks for sure, but it's a great skill once you have it. It's against the rules, but going through the Phoenix Tower and making everyone a Red Mage for the Magic Jar fights helps a lot.

I don't think I've ever bothered to grind for !Dualcast aside from my first playthrough. The mage classes who can use it are already powerful enough without it, and the Red Mage herself is far better off with a secondary magic ability.

I guess it's handy in a Natural run, but no one should force themselves to play Natural.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't understand.

W.T. Fits posted:

I understand the meanings of those words, but they make no sense in that order. :confused:

Hey, if you wanna grind to level 99 every run to feel ultimate power, be my guest. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

neongrey posted:

It honestly probably doesn't help that fiesta doesn't speedrun like the normal game, which I am given to understand is steprouted to hell and back, so there's a lot going on that needs to be basically routed from principles.

I don't think Dragondarch even runs vanilla FFV oddly enough, or most Final Fantasies for that matter. He seems to focus primarily on platformers, so I don't know how he came to be one of the Fiesta runners. Maybe puwexil asked him to join. (IIRC, it used to be only those two for a while.)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, I pretty much agree with your analysis. The reason I'd give Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer (=Team 1) an edge over Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon (=Team 2) is that the former composition can handle the usual roadblocks much better than the latter. Consider:

W1
Byblos: Not really an issue for either team due to Geomancer. Red Mage has a small advantage due to the reliability of Fira over Ignus Fatuus.
Soul Cannon: Huge advantage to Team 1 due to rod-breaking. Team 2 will struggle since the only decent damage comes from the Berserker and they're lacking healing options.
Archaeoavis: Not much of an issue for either team due to Geomancer and Monk. Small advantage to Team 1 for the MT-healing I guess, since that limits the chances of being killed by an unfavourable RNG.

W2
Gilgamesh on the Bridge (Shut up, he's hard!): Advantage to Team 1 since Protect + Healing Staff lets you survive Gilgamesh's jumping phase forever.
Crystals: The one fight where I'd much rather have Team 2 for the Death Sickle. Team 1 will either have to farm Reflect Rings or calculate its damage extremely carefully.
Exdeath: A pain for either composition, but somewhat easier for Team 1 due to Protect and rod-breaking. Physical attacks are awful against Exdeath.

W3
Omega: Haha, nope. If you're really dedicated enough to fight Omega, then I guess Team 1 is preferable because Sword Dancing has the best damage output and provokes the fewest counters. It's not like squishiness matters when every attack either deals percentage-based damage or kills you in one hit anyway.
Shinryu: Huge advantage to Team 1 for being able to berserk Shinryu, making the fight a non-issue. Even if you were to grind for four Dragon Lances, Team 2 would either have to level a lot or hope for a decent RNG.
Neo-Exdeath: This is where Team 1's advantages shine most clearly in my opinion. A Monk with Equip Ribbon, Protect and Shell (from the Wonder Wand) in the back-row can survive the onslaught for a long time, and the Dancer's solid targetable damage should allow you to kill the Almagest part after one or two castings. If things go sour due to an unlucky Grand Cross, you can use the Wonder Wand to reset. By contrast, Team 2 has to rely on hitting the timing for !Jump on every Almagest to win. On top of that, no Ribbon to protect against the nasty Grand Cross effects, no Wonder Wand to reset if things get dicey, and the Berserker, who is technically this team's best damage dealer, will waste a lot of attacks on targets you didn't want to hit.

So, yeah, Team 1 will have a much smoother time against any boss barring the Crystals. The big three in particular (well, big two since I doubt anyone but derra would be foolish brave enough to fight Omega) pose less of a challenge for Red Mage and Dancer than Berserker and Dragoon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I wonder if there's any team composition that can't beat Omega even if you were mad enough to grind all the way to level 99 and get 99 Elixirs. I guess anything that would have to rely on bare fist criticals to damage it and lacked a reliable way to inflict Stop. Something like 4xThieves.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Is the only difference between #forbidden and #fifthjob that with #forbidden, you lose a random job whereas with #fifthjob, it's always the Earth one?

And is it possible to get more than one Advance job on #regAdvance?

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 1, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh yeah, I forgot that #forbidden just removes a job entirely. Thanks.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

How likely is it for berserker risk to net somebody multiple berserkers? Has anyone ever done it and got only one or zero?

In the past four years, I've never gotten more than one Berserker even with Berserkerrisk, but then my first run is always a normal run, and I guess those only hand out Zerks at the Water Crystal. Zero shouldn't happen though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

So the opening race is going to be White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon, huh? Funny, that's the exact same team they had in 2017.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Doesn't look at all like a tree, 0/10.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

KnoxZone posted:

That one dude really liked that Run I guess.

IIRC, it was a super slow run because that team can't deal quickly with random encounters and most bosses required messing around with !Catch. So don't expect the Fiesta to start early this year.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Zerilan posted:

It was slower but elmagus was still sub10hr on it.

Well, yeah, but elmagus is not human.

:perfect:

The Sealed Temple is the one thing I've never done in a Fiesta setting. Maybe this year I'll finally get a setup which could theoretically do it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The high encounter rate seems like a non-issue since you need a Thief to complete the Sealed Temple anyway, which means you'll have Back Attack protection and the !Flee skill. Some of the bosses very much operate under the assumption that you've mastered the strongest abilities in the game by that point though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ritznit posted:

As a newbie dumbass, I gotta ask: How realistic is it to beat NED with four Berserkers?

Easier on the SNES due to a glitch that allows you to underflow the Berserker's magic stat, giving it extremely high damage with the Gaia Hammer, which can cast Quake, and the Rune Axe. It'll still require an extremely high level and quite a few resets, but far less than the other versions.

Ironically, I imagine the buffs to the class in the iOS version would actually make it harder, since the Berserkers no longer attack the truly dangerous parts (Grand Cross and Almagest) until the front is dead.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm not sure why the countdown timer still says five days because the Run is scheduled for Sunday. I guess RK just doesn't have much confidence in his runners.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Assuming the prices stay the same as last year, the cheapest team at the Job Fair will be Thief or Monk/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon. Not great by any means, but Beastmaster can carry you through a lot of rough spots.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

And already the first wipe.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Interestingly enough, DD has opted out of grinding Prototypes, so he'll be ahead in terms of progression, but behind in levels and ABP compared to the other three. Remains to be seen if that strategy works out.

Also second wipe of the run, I believe, but an inconsequential one.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Did Jenja wipe at some point? He was 2nd place in W1 and now seems a fair bit behind everyone else.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure DD didn't grind for Death Sickles. The only thing I don't understand is selling the Hypno Crown, everything else makes sense with his strategy.

Edit: Actually, even selling the Crown makes sense assuming he doesn't bother getting any catches besides Yellow Dragons (for whom it's obviously pointless).

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 16, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, but the upside is that he didn't spend any time getting Death Sickles or catching Sandcrawlers. I don't know if it was worth it since Yaga's clearly ahead, but then Yaga was ahead all game due to slight optimisations and better menuing.

oldskool posted:

DD does the flame shield thing every time, so at least his :psyduck: is consistent

What does the Aegis Shield get you in this run though? Magic attacks aren't a problem once you have Bard and White Mage, and your only shield bearer is going to be Berserker anyway.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I just don't see how it saves you any time. Maybe a few seconds if you block Exdeath's Condemn, but otherwise?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I don't think the starting after the first runner was confirmed. It was just an off-hand comment by elmagus.

Aside from Jenja, everyone's in the Void though, so it shouldn't take too much longer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Terribly unlucky Grand Cross for Bowie. Shame, because he was doing a great job catching up in the last half-an-hour.

He should be done in 5 minutes though. With Yaga and Dragondarch already having finished, that leaves only Jenja, and he's at Azulmagia. So the Run will be over soon.

Edit: Nevermind, Jenja wiped against Azulmagia. :eng99: Guess we're in it for the long haul.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 17, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

So uh, this is a thing I have to deal with.

That's, uh...

At least you can steal a Lamia's Tiara in the Ronka Ruins, I guess. And a Gaia Hammer from Titan if you're really mad (or using save states).

Shoehead posted:

This dungeon will be fun

Worth noting that the Staff deals halved damage from the back row. Put everyone in the front and that fight will go twice as fast.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

I never knew you could steal earthquake fun time hammer from titan, good thing I caught this just before I needed to.

It's a shame because Berserker with high Magic and the Gaia Hammer would demolish World 2, but you obviously won't have the Oracle by that point (and I don't think it would pass on its Magic stat with any ability anyway).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

And a second berserker for me. The person right next to me on the player's list only has one berserker and they risked too...so does that mean everybody got one this year and some of us got two? Did we ever find out the amount of money that would equal one berserker versus the number that risked?

I've always been under the impression that Berserker-risk only applies to Crystals which have a chance of naturally giving you a Berserker according to the type of run you've chosen. So Normal runs will only give a Berserker at the Water Crystal, but Random runs can get one on any post-Water one, and Chaos/Pure Chaos even on the Wind Crystal.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Arist posted:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

I warned you about Chaos runs, bro. I told you, dog.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

Right, but how do I deal with the physicals one shotting me? Just a revolving door of phoenix downs from my two non-berserkers?

With Hermes Sandals on them, you should be able to outpace his attacks, and Phoenix Downs are trivially easy to buy in mass quantities in the late game. It's a bit RNG-reliant since you have to hope that Shinryu doesn't double-turn murder your non-Zerkers, but not too bad.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Without Coral Rings, you need a boatload of HP to survive the opening Tidal Wave. 9k is a nice number to start at.

That's a non-issue because with Hermes Sandals, you can Berserk Shinryu without him ever getting to cast Tidal Wave.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Huh, so apparently #regadvance can give you an Earth job at the Fire Crystal. I won't complain, even if it means I'll have to endure White Mage/Berserker vs Byblos.

Lurdiak posted:

So without a white mage or dancer, I'm stuck waiting until world 2 before I can confuse enemies, right?

Red Mage, Bard, and Chemist can all set Confusion as well, and the Beastmaster's Control ability is very similar. The Geomancer can set it in certain circumstances, but usually not when you'd want it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

This is my first 4JF, so I'd like some advice on this profoundly mediocre roll (as far as I can tell).
Advice like, 'Go ahead and job fair for chemist.'

No team with a Summoner is anything other than excellent. Easily a top 5 job. Ranger and Dancer are pretty good as well once you reach World 3.

The most important tip is tracking down all summons. Some of them are somewhat obscure to find.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

derra posted:

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

agradine posted:

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Hempuli posted:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Between Chemist and Canonneer, you get to choose your flavour of broken.

(Incidentally, the last Toxx appears to be missing from the OP.)

1234567890num posted:

I'd suggest not killing the berserker. Just heal the counters with !White.

I had to do it with WHM/BSK as well, and in my experience, killing off the Berserker is the preferrable solution. Sandworm is always in the backrow, so the Zerk will do crappy damage even if it hits, and the strongest weapon at that point (the Death Sickle) can proc two counters per attack. It's just not worth the hassle.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

After getting Knight and Monk, I tried the !Guard + Counter strategy against Gil Turtle. As long as you don't mess up the inputs, it's technically foolproof, because it completely negates his attacks. I wouldn't even have needed Float since killing an enemy with a counter doesn't trigger the React: Death script.

However, I wouldn't recommend this approach unless you're playing on an emulator and can thus automate the process. Lenna did a pathetic ~850 damage on a counter, and even that only when she didn't miss due to Gil Turtle's respectable evasion. The fight took over 30 minutes in real-time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You know what? Red Mage's alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Pretty smooth sailing for a Brave Blade run. Lots of damage, lots of health, and a lot of status effects. The Knight and Red Mage were tearing the Void apart with Two-Handed and Berserk.