Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Basically all of FFV's backend calculations boil down to "more numbers = more better," and that's all you really need to know to play the game. The only formulas that are both A) not very intuitive, and B) commonplace enough to matter when you're not going out of your way to break stuff, are a lot of the less straightforward weapon damage formulas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Once preregistration opens up there'll be a tool on the official site you can use that auto-generates a tweet with your desired settings. It's super handy!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I honestly sometimes can't tell if Dragondarch is sincere or if it's some sort of performance art. I'm all for finding odd ways to go about things for entertainment value, but that was :psyduck:

I mean, you're already playing a game live for the internet while under an arbitrary restriction and trying to go as fast as possible. Pretty sure that's performance art no matter how you slice it.

Also I remember hearing one year that he's actually a pretty competent speedrunner in general and just has this weird blind spot for FF5. Which, uh, still doesn't really settle things one way or the other, I guess!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

If you only have classes that would need to rely on unequipped criticals (really only just Thief, White Mage and Geomancer, though Berserker's uncontrollable nature makes Axes just as bad of an option too) then your chances are so close to 0 that you might as well not even try.

Geomancer has Rune Chime!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So this might be a terrible idea, but screw it. Worst case, if everyone else decides it's too much of a pain in the rear end, well, no harm done, right?

Towards the end of last year's fiesta, I stumbled across a Castle Tycoon cutscene that I'm pretty sure I'd never seen before. This inspired me to make it a goal this year to see every optional cutscene in the game, and I'd like to challenge you all to do the same. As such:

:toxx: I will donate $5 (capped at $50) for each goon who views and screenshots every optional cutscene in their run, where cutscene is arbitrarily defined as "any time a party member has a line of dialogue." :toxx:

When I finish my run, I'll post every scene I found as a guide so you know what all you need to do. Also, uh, FFV has a heck of a lot of optional stuff, as in I'm pretty sure a complete submission is going to be over a hundred images seventy actually, so you probably shouldn't just post them all directly in the thread. Personally I plan on using the screenshot LP test poster (This is close enough to being an LP, right?). If you're interested, here's some extra details that I didn't want to clog up this post with. I also put in every optional cutscene available prior to the Wind Shrine as an example to give you an idea of how thorough I'm being.

:siren:Bonus: If you complete this before I finish my run, flying blind as it were, or manage to find a cutscene that I missed, the $5 I donate for your run will not count towards the $50 limit!:siren:

6/29 Update: Finished my run, here's your guide to follow.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 30, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Complete_Cynic posted:

Edit: It doesn't need Bows - it even works with low-accuracy stuff like Axes (assuming you have proficiency), which is an okay-ish option? Also makes the Blood Sword viable if that's something you'd want.

Also important to note that bows themselves have fairly shaky accuracy as well, so until you unlock rapid fire, you should pretty much always be slam picking !aim over !fight on your ranger unless you like missing a bunch.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yo Kyrosiris, I noticed my dumb toxx isn't on the first page:

Cattail Prophet posted:

So this might be a terrible idea, but screw it. Worst case, if everyone else decides it's too much of a pain in the rear end, well, no harm done, right?

Towards the end of last year's fiesta, I stumbled across a Castle Tycoon cutscene that I'm pretty sure I'd never seen before. This inspired me to make it a goal this year to see every optional cutscene in the game, and I'd like to challenge you all to do the same. As such:

:toxx: I will donate $5 (capped at $50) for each goon who views and screenshots every optional cutscene in their run, where cutscene is arbitrarily defined as "any time a party member has a line of dialogue." :toxx:

When I finish my run, I'll post every scene I found as a guide so you know what all you need to do. Also, uh, FFV has a heck of a lot of optional stuff, as in I'm pretty sure a complete submission is going to be over a hundred images, so you probably shouldn't just post them all directly in the thread. Personally I plan on using the screenshot LP test poster (This is close enough to being an LP, right?). If you're interested, here's some extra details that I didn't want to clog up this post with. I also put in every optional cutscene available prior to the Wind Shrine as an example to give you an idea of how thorough I'm being.

:siren:Bonus: If you complete this before I finish my run, flying blind as it were, or manage to find a cutscene that I missed, the $5 I donate for your run will not count towards the $50 limit!:siren:

For the record, I'm at the end of world 1 right now and so far I've got 37 screenshots. Also:

:getin:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

MagusDraco posted:

Oh boy this is gonna be umm...well I'm just gonna have to steal 8 twin lances aren't I

I was gonna be all "actually you only need 6 because mimes don't have universal equipment access like freelancers do," but then I double checked and it turns out mimes can in fact use the thief weapons. Huh, weird.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

romeo's ballad stunlocks omega if you have three people hitting him. technically you can do two but the timing is tight. bard also can get your str/mag and level up to 99 with songs

That said, actually killing omega with that team is going to be an unfun slog, because their offense is entirely reliant on monkless fist crits and/or high morning star rolls.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Serene Dragon posted:

So for pure chaos run 3 I pulled monk/ninja/dancer/dragoon. I really have no way to cheese either Omega or Shinryu with this team, so I'm wavering on it. So I figured I'd ask in here for some advice. I'm willing to do some level/elixir grinding for it, what level would this team realistically need to be to get the triple crown?

For Omega:

Step 1: give your dancer dual wield
Step 2: put the chicken knife in their main hand and literally anything else in their off hand
Step 3: congratulations, your sword dances no longer trigger counters from Omega
Step 4: you still need to survive its standard routine though, so the rest of your team is probably on full time elixir/phoenix down duty
E: it occurs to me that this method should also work with dragoon and trident jumps

For Shinryu, you might be able to make a jumpspam strat work at fairly reasonable levels? Remember that the maneater gets the spear bonus to jumps.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 24, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

derra posted:

This is why if I can use it and don't have Berserk access I grab a Power Staff in Exdeath's Castle.

...poo poo

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

blinking beacon nose posted:

When Galuf is in my party, he leads it. When Krile's in it, she's dead loving last. During that section where it's just Bartz and her, she goes into the last slot and Bartz the first because I want her as far away from anyone else as possible. I swear I'm gonna just kill her off and leave her dead forever when I get to her.

I never rearrange the party order, and I swear it fucks me up literally every single time I do fork tower, because Galuf joins before Faris and Krile inherits the third slot from him, but fork tower has you assign Faris before Krile.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

When I finish my run, I'll post every scene I found as a guide so you know what all you need to do. Also, uh, FFV has a heck of a lot of optional stuff, as in I'm pretty sure a complete submission is going to be over a hundred images, so you probably shouldn't just post them all directly in the thread. Personally I plan on using the screenshot LP test poster (This is close enough to being an LP, right?). If you're interested, here's some extra details that I didn't want to clog up this post with. I also put in every optional cutscene available prior to the Wind Shrine as an example to give you an idea of how thorough I'm being.

I finished! :toot: Final tally came in at 70 cutscenes, which is... significantly less than I thought it would be. Turns out the party doesn't have much to say about most of world 3. World 1 actually had more cutscenes than the other two combined. Here's the complete list. I'll also be editing it into the original toxx post.

As for the run itself:

I ground out four dualcasts, which probably wasn't completely necessary, but, come on, with that team I couldn't not. I could have quickleaked Omega, but this team had enough firepower that I was able to fight him legit. Being able to get party haste, party reflect, party float, and wear flame rings all at once makes a big difference in surviving his bullshit. I judiciously abused quintuple meteor; other than the big 3, none of the void bosses got off more than 2 actions, not counting Twintania's counters. However, while that's the meme, I also discovered that five spells in a turn is excellent for picking the party up off the floor when poo poo hits the fan. Two raises, two curas, and a hastega, and bam, you're back in fighting shape!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Love to casually throw gendered slurs at the small child whos grandpa and only family just died.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Doom Goon posted:

Oof, you didn't get the one where you leave The Void after engaging Exdeath smh. Seriously though, nice job!

Man, I seriously thought about checking this too, but I decided there was no way they'd actually do it. I even had time mage to make it less of a pain in the rear end! Thanks!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

BlackPersona posted:

Not sure if this is different enough to consider it another optional cutscene rather than a permutation of a cutscene, but you can also go to Surgate after you get the Submarine to get slightly different dialogue.

...And also go there during World 3:

I kinda suspected this would be the case. At least for the purpose of the challenge, I'd say they're the same scene, if only because they're mutually exclusive.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

Ooo, I just thought of something. If my off-hand is something that can't be magic sworded, does that mean I can skip Omega's counters? That alone might be good reason to hold on to Ninja at least until Omega's out of the way.

The only thing that concerns me about this is you're still dealing with Omega's evasion, and I'm not sure if missing gets treated the same as zero damage re: skipping the counters.

Also, the mirage vest exploit would lead me to believe that any equipment shuffling would cancel spellblade effects on both weapons.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I mean, he's not wrong, Bartz is literally a hobo.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

So, Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Thief.

I usually like going for the Brave Blade when I get Knight, but I assume this team needs the Chicken Knife to have a decent shot at beating Omega?

Ehhhh? Chicken knife will obviously make things go faster, and you're definitely not damage racing Omega without it, but if you're willing to commit to a slower strat you can conceivably make lesser knives work. Thundaga sword chicken knife starts capping around the mid 30s, which is the lowest level I'd even consider tackling Omega at with that team anyway. At that level, Sasuke does about 4k, Assassin's dagger about 3.5, and thief/air knives are somewhere between 2 and 2.5. These damage numbers are essentially identical for both mystic knight and ninja, incidentally. More levels beyond the mid 30s will gradually decrease the relative value of the chicken knife. You've also got lightning scrolls to help compensate for the lack of good knives, and !spellblade will pump up their damage, albeit not as much as a dedicated magic job would.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, the simple reality is that taking a hardline stance on emulation would likely mean the eventual death of the Fiesta, and I'm sure RK realizes that, regardless of his personal feelings on the matter.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

MagusDraco posted:

It'll land if Nasgate grinds to level 80 or something

At which point you can probably just say screw it, skip the reflected stop part of the strat, and still stand a decent chance of killing Omega before Omega kills you.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Poque posted:

Those are Magic Dragons. Mini Dragons appear in the forests near Istory and are the best XP spot in W1. Best AP is probably blackflames on the islands NW of Crescent.

I believe it's actually mythril dragons near the library; magic dragons are their pallete swap in meatfort. Your point still stands, though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I can't believe you would make up such a ridiculous story.

You couldn't have had air knives on everyone, white mages can't equip air knives!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Alternatively, just shank him with the chicken knife and make sure not to attack when your health is low, he's not that big a deal.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pretty sure they can be Stopped, too. You've got a lot of options here.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Please don't do this to yourself, the only staff using job that can't also use the wonder rod and doesn't otherwise have berserk access is oracle.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ehhhh? There's certainly worse parties for it, and summoner means that a) you can set up reflected searches without having to sacrifice hermes sandals/flame rings, and b) you can sandbag basically forever as long as you can keep one person alive and floating to avoid wiping to earth shaker. It still doesn't really sound fun, though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It does, but I'm not sure if element boosts work with Holy Breath specifically. (Also Staves of Light don't actually boost holy if that's what you're using, you'd need to set up Elemental Power.)

E:f;b with a more definitive response and turning this into a lovely quoteless page snipe, no less

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 1, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Feed Omega some soup before you start kissing him.

E: Also lightning scrolls exist.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Overlord K posted:

Do scrolls actually pierce his defense enough to be worth going back to stock up on? I admit I figured they'd be super negligible against him even if he is weak to lightning.

Elemental weaknesses ignore defenses entirely.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Heh, screwed up my float+reflect ring strat for the crystals and had to set up the fire crystal's hp just above the threshold, then rig a counter->second monk attack->sword dance proc off the dancing dagger combo in order to kill it. Then I got 2 ash drops. :v: Also the earth crystal never even got an attack off in rage mode, so, uh, so much for float.

This, this is peak fiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hmm. On the one hand, free triple crown. On the other hand, actually playing through the game with that party. At least red mage can still kill dogs quickly to fuel chemist's crippling drug addiction.