Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kyrosiris posted:

Can you please explain to me like I'm a dumbass what this actually means because I have no idea what this actually means

The SNES screen is a square*, the GBA screen is a rectangle. They fit the game on the GBA screen by chopping off the top and bottom.

*or like 16:15 or whatever it is idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm lovin' it - Your guide to M

There's been some discussion of what M is and if new players should care, so I thought I'd write a little thing.

Wait, does M stand for maths? I don't like maths
Here's your tl;dr - if you get more M, you do more damage, and M increases with Level but not every level, so use Carbybot in IRC or Discord to see how much you need to grind if you want more damage.

OK, so what is M?
M is the 13th letter of the English alphabet, the 1st letter in the word multiplier, and the name given to a certain variable in FF5's damage formulae by the author of the FFV Algorithms Guide.

How M is calculated depends on the type of damage you're doing, but it usually depends on your Level and either your Strength or your Magic. The damage formula scales linearly with M - that means if you have double the M, you do double the damage. This also means an increase matters more if you're starting small, so increasing your M can be really helpful with weak early-game starts like Thief and White Mage.

What's all this about calculating your M? Doesn't the game do that already?
With how the calculation for M works, increasing your Level or your strength by 1 only changes M by a small fraction. The game doesn't like fractions and rounds things down until you get over the next whole number. This means it can take multiple levels to increase your M.

That's where Carbybot comes in! She's a computer, and computers are better than maths at you. It's in the name and everything. Using the command .mcalc, you can tell Carby your stats, and she'll give you both your current M and at what level it'll increase next. If you go try it out, it'll guide you through what you need to type, but I'll go into detail here anyway to satisfy my writing obsession.

The nitty gritty
There are 7 different kinds of M in FFV. Most weapons use what Carby calls physical M, which is based on Level and Strength, and most spells use magic M, which is based on Level and - shockingly - Magic. Fists M is used for punching, whether or not you have Barehanded, and is also based on Level and Strength but uses a different formula.

Chicken and rune M are pretty similar, being used for the Chicken Knife and various "Rune" weapons respectively. They use Level and Strength like physical M, but also take Agility or Magic, in a way that usually makes it stronger than physical. Knife M is like Chicken M, but weird. The part of it that's supposed to use Agility gets cut off and only adds either 0 or 1 to the total, changing back and forth as you Level up. Carby calls this bit the "agility bonus". Knife M is used not only on non-Chicken knives, but also most bows, whips, and throwing weapons.

Finally, in the Advanced version only, there's cannon M, used for !Open Fire, which is only based on Level. Nice and simple.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 28, 2019

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The map and NED guide have been on Discord this whole time too, and presumably IRC before. That said, I'd definitely be down for a newer, shinier NED guide.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Chalk up another Butes.

Getting to use Blue Mage for I think the first time was cool, but being handed this god team and (Winner mechanics)knowing it was guaranteed made things surprisingly boring. Hopefully, my upcoming Chaos no750 run puts the spark back in things for me.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Did you know that with Flare Blade, a Mini'd character can still do around 1000 damage per !Rapidfire hit? Faris knew. Faris also knew how to dodge countless Meteors, Vacuum Waves and Almagests long after Flexdeath hit rage mode and everyone else fell away. What a hero. Fulfils this toxx and then some. Thanks to Mega64 for finding it, it doesn't seem to be in the third post.

Hempuli posted:

Oh hey, I've kind of wanted to do one of these, so here goes:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Also I killed Shinryu since, y'know, Wonder Wand and Dark Bow.

This was my first time using Project Demi, so I guess I'll give my thoughts on that too. I used the Boss EXP variant, thinking I wouldn't have the patience to grind random battles between bosses, but I wound up doing so anyway for drops or whatever so it just meant I wound up way overlevelled. That was a mistake, I'll definitely try without it next time. Besides that, it pretty much did what it set out to do well, and getting through the game faster was really nice, but I really missed a few things from GBA like the more detailed shop menu and actually useful item sorting. If anyone ever makes a similar thing for the GBA version it's gonna be the best way to play this game, no question (barring first-time players wanting to experience the plot and such).

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 23, 2019

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This run, Thief/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Geomancer, really really really loving sucked. It was so boring. No one had any synergy, I didn't have any offence or survivability, the whole thing was just dreadful. And yet, I fulfilled 2 toxxes (even if one of them was already at capacity) anyway, because it was still 2 free Triple Crowns.

derra posted:

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 
This is, as mentioned, already fully fulfilled, but I did it anyway because it was just Quick leaks. Yes, I even Quick leaked NED, I had no patience to try and struggle through this hell run any longer.

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.
As for a toxx that is actually as of yet unfulfilled (well, fulfillyed 8/10 times rather than 10/10), I beat Shinryu, I had Thief, and I had nothing better to do in the NED fight. gently caress rare steals forever by the way.

Hopefully this time I'll get a run that I can actually enjoy...

:shepicide:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Cutscene Skipper's Guide to Progression
Here's a very abridged version of the game's mandatory events, so you can find where to go next if you're lost or need to remind yourself of arbitrary cutscene triggers.

Go to the Meteor in the north-east of the area for a few cutscenes.

Go to the valley in the north-west of the area. See the cutscenes, go through the Pirate Cave dungeon, and use the ship's steering wheel.

At this point, you can sail west to Tule for shops, but to progress go north-east for the Wind Shrine dungeon and your Wind job.

Sail to Tule and enter the house in the north of town for a cutscene.

Sail east for the Torna Canal, taking you through the Ship Graveyard dungeon.

Go south to Carwen if you need to rest, then north-east (of Carwen, not the Ship Graveyard) for the North Mountain dungeon. Complete the North Mountain dungeon to obtain the Wind Drake.

At this point, you can fly to Tycoon, near the Meteor, for some loot, or south of North Mountain to Walse for progress. Enter the throne room in Walse Castle for a cutscene.

Fly north to Walse Tower and complete that dungeon, obtaining your Water job.

Enter the Walse Meteor and teleport to the Karnak Meteor, then travel west to Karnak.

Attempt to buy something from the shops to be arrested.

Wait for Cid to blow open the wall, then talk to him for a cutscene, then enter the boat to the south for the Fire-Powered Ship dungeon. This leads immediately into the Karnak Castle escape sequence, after which you get your Fire job.

Travel south and complete the Library of the Ancients dungeon.

Return to Karnak and enter the back room of the Pub for a cutscene, then enter the ship and talk to Cid to obtain the ship.

Sail to the south west of the Map and enter Crescent for a cutscene.

Enter the forest on Crescent Island and catch the Black Chocobo.

Fly back to the Library of the Ancients and enter it for a cutscene.

Go to the Desert of Shifting Sands to the west and fight the Sand Worm boss, then travel through the desert and south to Gohn.

Explore Gohn for cutscene triggers until you are dropped into the ruins, then watch the cutscene and take the teleported to the Catapult.

Proceed through the Catapult and enter the Airship for a cutscene and the Cray Claw boss.

Fly to Gohn to watch a cutscene, then return to the Catapult for another cutscene. Fly to the Tycoon Meteor and fight the Adamantoise, then return to the Catapult for another cutscene.

Ascend to fight the Launcher and Flame Thrower mini-bosses, then the Soul Cannon boss. Enter and complete the Ronka Ruins dungeon, obtaining your Earth Job.

Fly to the Tycoon Meteor for a cutscene, then the Walse, Karnak and Gohn Meteors in any order for boss fights. Fly to the spot marked on your map to enter World 2.

Use a Tent (farming one from the Pao encounters if necessary) for some cutscenes. Complete the basement of Exdeath's castle, then leave and travel west to the Big Bridge.

Complete the Big Bridge sequence, then follow the linear continent around to the small forest.

Complete the underground river dungeon, then follow the Moogle's path around the desert into the forest. A specific tile in the forest will take you to the Moogle Village.

Talk to the Moogle hiding in the north-east of the village. I think you now need to enter their house and talk to them, but I'm not sure. At some point after that, the Moogle will stand outside their house, and talk to them now for a cutscene that takes you to Bal Castle.

Go to the roof of the castle and talk to Krile for a cutscene, then leave Bal and head north to Quelb.

At Quelb, enter the large house just south of the gate for a cutscene to be able to leave to the north.

Head north of Quelb and complete the Drakenvale dungeon, then return to Bal.

Talk to Krile in her room, then the Wind Drake on the roof, for some cutscenes to obtain the Wind Drake.

Fly north past Drakenvale and land on the small island. Attempt to enter the cave for a cutscene.

Fly back to the continent with Exdeath's Castle in the south-east of the map, and land on the large ship south-east of the castle for a cutscene.

Sleep in the ship to engage the Gilgamesh boss battle. After the fight, go the room across from where you slept to enter the Barrier Tower dungeon.

Complete the Barrier Tower to obtain the submarine, then sail it to where Ghido's Cave sunk for the Ghido's Cave dungeon.

Sail the submarine to the southernmost of the two remaining points of interest on the underwater map and surface for Moore. Complete the Forest of Moore dungeon to obtain the Wind Drake.

Fly back to Exdeath's Castle. Climb to the dead end and attempt to backtrack for a cutscene, then complete the dungeon to enter World 3.

Enter Tycoon Castle for some cutscenes, then walk north-west to the Pirate Cave to obtain Boko.

Walk Boko north of Tycoon and around past Tule to the Death Valley area for the Antlion boss fight.

Continue south to Ghido's Cave for a cutscene, after which you will be at the Library of the Ancients.

Proceed west into the Desert and complete the Pyramid of Moore dungeon.

Return to the forest in the east for the Melusine boss fight to obtain the Airship.

At this point, you can fly to the Tycoon void for the final dungeon at any time. Content past this is optional, however, some must be done in a certain order.

Besides a variety of smaller bonuses scattered around the map, a couple of dungeons are available at any time in World 3. By finding the secret Mirage Village in the forest at the south of the map, you can obtain the Black Chocobo. Fly to a forest in the desert in the north-east of the map. From here you can walk south-west for the Phoenix Tower dungeon and north-east for the North Mountain dungeon.

For actual progression, you want the Island Shrine dungeon in the middle of the Big Bridge, towards the south of the map. This unlocks the Fork Tower dungeon.

Fly to Crescent in the south-east of the map for the Fork Tower dungeon, which unlocks the Catapult. Land in the Catapult, then walk down the stairs for a cutscene to unlock the submarine.

The submarine provides access to three further dungeons, which are the only points of interest on the underwater map - the Great Sea Trench, Istory Falls, and the sunken Walse Tower.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You can also get out of the fight without dialogue or dealing damage by using Self-Destruct or using a Phoenix Down with Bone Mail, if you'd count that as skipping it.