Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

It's not a terribly hard game until you artificially limit yourself to challenge runs or speed runs. On the other hand there are a ton of jobs and being forced to focus on ~4 of them can be the needed encouragement to actually complete the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Maleketh posted:

Grab the flail from the Ship Graveyard. Smack Siren with Cure when she turns undead. For other bosses, focus on dealing damage with the flail-wielder and healing with the others. Try not to get hung up on random encounters because they'll be a slog.

I got White Mage during my first Fiesta run. It's really not as painful as it might seem; every boss I fought prior to getting my second job was entirely manageable.

Good advice.

When you finally get to Garula right before the water crystal jobs, understand that Garula will counter-attack your physical damage members. Perhaps you might consider a back-row strategy, or just letting your highest-damage character attack while (most of) the rest of the party heals.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

If you can get Shinryu berserk somehow you've got it made by using ninja's !Image on everyone, but I don't see a way any of your classes can use berserk. Maybe I'm missing something obvious though.

white mage -- nope
wonder rod -- no rod users
power staff -- no staff users

So, the only other option I am aware of of is Hide the Bard:
1) Equip Reflect Ring(s) on your characters
2) Find a Sword Dancer or something else that will inflict zombie status and get at least one of your Reflect Ring wearers zombied
3) Go to Shinryu and have a non-zombie !Hide for several hours while Shinryu slowly hurts himself by bouncing spells off of your reflect-enabled zombie(s)

If there's some way to inflict berserk with your class composition definitely go for that first.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Hell yeah, bard start.

The way I read the rules you actually don't reveal or use your jobs until you get the crystal shards for each crystal, so that wind shrine should be a breeze with a bunch of lvl 4 freelancers. Seems like lots of people immediately reveal all 4 jobs but that lets you plan ahead and takes away some of the surprise. That's right, the surprise of realizing you have to go back and buy all the white magic or get the rest of the summons after Galuf leaves and you're down to 3 party members. Fun. and exciting.
:goonsay:

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

Strictly speaking do you really need to get the rest of the summons if Summoner is on Earth Crystal? The level one and two summons are only useful for bosses that you'll have already beaten by then, and adding them to your squad just diminishes the utility of !Call. Maybe you'll want Ramuh for Omega but even in that case you can just grab him at the castle anyway.

That's true, the only summons you need are Syldra, Syldra, Syldra, and maybe Golem and Carbunkle way down the list. I never thought about optimizing !Call by not picking up the other lesser summons, that's an interesting idea.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

!Call is definitely garbage but it made me imagine no-MP run as the big brother of no-750. You'd need to use a game genie or what have you to reduce MP to zero or set all spells to cost 999 but I think you could still complete the game without ever using MP, right? It would make White Mage suck pretty bad... Black Mage would be about as good as Red Mage is currently, hah.

I know there's no chance Nintendo would ever develop/release the FF5 Fiesta-version that many people have wished for would, but it would be so rad. I'd buy it. Either way it's fun to think of custom difficulty options.

- Configurable Job Unlock rules (no 750, berserker risk, etc.)
- Challenge modes like double-MP cost, zero-gold from battles, 1, 2, or 3 character parties only
- Random job/skill assignments, or scrambled randomization like the spicy fiesta mod, or similar to FF6 beyond chaos

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I share your concern about Lenna, but those Mecha Heads don't actually give any exp, so feel free to grind them up for... 4 AP I think. I try to level her back up so she's close to the same level as the rest of the crew anyway.

That's pretty wild that you can randomly just pass through them though. The hit detection seems to favor encounters from 2 spaces away instead of ghosting through things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

That's a somewhat difficult party and I admire your perseverance on this first run through. Personally, in that situation I would grind out to level 43 to 47ish if you have the ability to speed up battles on your platform. The Ronka/Lonka Ruins in the Void Rift are an easy place to do this, and there is a nearby pot you can drink from to restore HP/MP. I like this strategy because I am a lazy scrub that would rather try and tank an Almagest with 1-2 party members than worry about optimal decisions. A tactical wizard could most likely make it work at lvl 40 with your setup but it could take a few tries. My two-bit advice that cribs heavily from https://enkibot.herokuapp.com/hints/ is:

- Red Mage Doublecast can be useful but it's another terrible grind at 999 ABP. You can use it to double-raise people (assuming the low-hp red mage can survive an almagest).
- Ranger Rapidfire/X-Fight (final Ranger ability) is an excellent source of damage if you happen to have the job ABP maxed out. If you use Rapidfire with a chicken knife, I imagine it would exceed 9999 damage over 4 hits? You can't target but it doesn't really matter as long as you are dealing damage.
- Thief isn't going to help much at all, I guess thief can have !Red to help heal? or Dance to hope for sword dance?
- Dancer is doing great if you can hit 9999 damage but you might end up using a different dagger if Rapidfire/X-Fight is more than 9999. Low HP on dancer means very susceptible to big damage spells, so once again use Shell to try and mitigate damage. You can equip the ribbon as a helm if you want to avoid status effect impairments, or just don't worry about it and cure the status ailments. Sword dance with the Assassin's Dagger would still probably do some decent damage.
- Dealing damage is going to be your main concern, but you'll have to weather multiple big enemy spells so make sure you can heal and raise your party fast enough that you can keep the momentum going in your favor. 4 hermes sandals (aka running shoes) is a must for me.

## Neo Ex Cactuar
* Image guide: http://i.imgur.com/FphWf.gif
* High level strategy overview follows:
* Biggest threats are: Grand Cross (random aliments), Almagest (1620-1665 holy damage + sap), enrage (last part spams super attacks 2x/turn)
* Grand Cross is mitigatable with Hermes Sandals and luck. Most parties will kill Grand Cross first to lower the number of dice rolls.
* Almagest is a HP check. Unless you have extreme damage output and rush it first, you will need the HP (or Shell) to survive it.
* You can skip enrage either by counting HP and killing the last 2 parts at the same time...
* ...or you can save the bottom, non-Heavy part for last and then gib it with a Magic Lamp Odin.
* Even without !white, you get one free Shell casting from the Wonder Wand, if you have it.
* [DNC] You'll probably have to look elsewhere for damage, but Equip Ribbons make Grand Cross a nonissue.
* [DNC] That said, the Man-Eater deals critical damage to the left-most piece (the one that casts magic and is killed by Odin).
* [THF] Remember that weapons you steal off of NED's parts can be equipped mid-battle.
* [RAN] Were you dumb enough to grind out a Dark Bow in Ronka, or bought one in Bal? Congratulations!
* [RAN] The Melee piece (the one that chucks out 1800 damage Vacuum Waves) can be blinded!
* [RAN] NED's phantom targets will make !X-Fight less powerful on the SNES version, though.
* [RDM] At least you can put up Protects...?
* [RDM] Raise+Cura isn't the *worst* use of their time, though you're probably better off just breaking rods for middling damage.
* [RDM] Hopefully you have another class that can use Dualcast and can pick up the slack.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 28, 2019