Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

KataraniSword posted:

Fair warning/caveat emptor that the Steam/mobile version, while being by far the most readily (legally) accessible, does have a few balance changes that make the Four Job Fiesta slightly less user-friendly.

(also its graphics are bad)

Obligatory annual update to the list:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/comments/br2ner/differences_between_mobile_iosandroidsteam_and/

Also obligatory tl;dr:
*Most glitches/exploits fixed.
*Classes hit with some version of a nerf bat: Chemist, Time Mage, Blue Mage, and especially Beastmaster (though if you had to pick a handful of classes to nerf...)
*Classes somewhat buffed: Berserker, Bard, Geomancer (arguably it cuts both ways at times)
*For Ninjas, Dancing Dagger/Double Lance is the new Double Lance/Chicken Knife
*Bosses are a bigger pain, mostly due to the Heavy tag causing status effects to wear off much quicker, also full-party magic damage splitting not being quite as extreme.
*Also React scripts counter commands and not actions, so good luck against Omega and Rugwizard!
*Enemy sprites have been updated and look amazing, all other graphics look worse (though I'll say in general it tends to look a lot better in play than it does in any screenshots I've seen)

There are some other minor changes, but these are the biggest ones you'll most likely encounter. I'd say it's definitely the more difficult version for a FJF, if for no other reason than fixing some of glitches/exploits, especially the Beastmaster's most favorite "I Win" button (though still nothing resists Bear element!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Look, everyone knows that the worst version is the PSX version. After that things get murkier, but I'll submit that the biggest flaw with the SNES version is the walking speed. Unless you draw Thief, have fun trudging through dungeon after dungeon!

GBA is the superior version for its translation, there's no real doubt about that. That plus the other QOL improvements (run speed, quicksave, canning dummy targets) make it better than the SNES overall, though the SNES has a few quirks and glitches that can make it fun for a FJF.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a fan of the Matrix version, personally. The graphics always look fugly in screenshots but when I'm actually playing it they never seem to really bother me (and the enemy sprites are the best in this version, fight me). What I've enjoyed about it most from a FJF perspective is that it's, in a lot of ways, a completely different game. Many of the old tricks don't work anymore, so you've actually got to put work into learning new tricks (like Dancing Dagger-Twin Lance Ninjas). It's more challenging. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to mix things up on their FJF beyond the different registration modes.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mega64 posted:

PS1 is the worst version yet has the best translation.

:pirate:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I’m getting reports that the Aegis Shield doesn’t block magic attacks properly in the Matrix version; can anyone confirm that?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

W.T. Fits posted:

!Mix does not count as magic and will trigger Omniscient's Reset counter. That said, if you're playing on the SNES, GBA or Playstation version, you could just use !Mix to inflict Berserk on Omniscient to prevent him from being able to use his counter script. Just make sure you set yourself up with some defenses before doing that, since he hits like a freight train once he's Berserked.

That team also has Knight, so I think they're well covered

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

:dance:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Ah, it's the "divide the 20 jobs into the best possible 5 teams" portion of the thread.

Team #1: Time Mage, Berserker, Samurai, Thief
Team #2: Beastmaster, Blue Mage, Dragoon, Ninja
Team #3: Bard, Summoner, Geomancer, Knight
Team #4: Chemist, Monk, Black Mage, Dancer
Team #5: Mystic Knight, Ranger, White Mage, Red Mage

Team #1: This is the "lets give Berserker some useful abilities" team. Berserker's one of the few classes that wants Artful Dodger, there might also be some times where the Berserker wants Equip Katana. Haste also helps shore up Berserker speed issues.

Team #2: Beastmaster/Blue Mage combo is obvious. Dragoon & Ninja have pretty good synergy actually. If we're in Mobile/Steam then !Jump with a pair of Twin Lances is hilarious, but then again that means this party doesn't have an Omega kill. Dual wield helps Dragoon's lackluster offense. They also makes a pretty good !Blue Magic user.

Team #3: Geomancer can be a good back-up !Singer or !Summoner. Between Bard, Summoner and Geomancer you don't really have to worry about random encounters, and nobody here really wants the Chicken Knife, so Knight is free to Two Hand the Brave Blade to their heart's content.

Team #4: Drunken Fist Monk. Black Mage and Monk should help each other through most of the World 1 roadblocks until Chemist and Dancer shows up.

Team #5: Red Mage was hard to place... I originally had Black Mage here but the lack of multi-target White Magic buffs makes me think White Mage wants X-Magic more.

Every group has a good/decent Chicken Knife user except #3, which picks up the Brave Blade. Every group can deal with Rug Wizard without any kind of obnoxious shenanigans. Team #1 maybe hits a few world 1 roadblocks until it gets some better offense, but I can't think of big issues any of these teams should encounter throughout the game. Might be missing something.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Which year was it that he accidentally sold the dragon fang he needed for some convoluted scheme?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I didn’t write that guide for it to be used in anti-Matrix propaganda :colbert:

I’m mostly joking; for the record, I would argue that the mobile/steam version is overall more difficult, but in different and interesting ways. Sure you lose a lot of the cheesier tactics, but I’m several years in now and I’m still learning new things (Berserker auto targeting, Dancing Dagger/Twin Lance, apparently you can Magic Lamp the Rugwizard?) which when you’re playing a 20+ year old game for the umpteenth time isn’t nothing.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 5, 2019

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

I would be wary of expecting that to work on Matrix, since none of the other good and useful bugs work on Matrix.

I'll add it to list of things to test this year

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 5, 2019

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

MagusDraco posted:

Well the mage masher silence doesn't work either but when he casts silence reflected onto himself it does stop the reset? Going by old fiesta posts in the fjf official reddit that showed up for someone playing the game on an iphone so that person could have just been wrong but maybe it literally checks for the spell cast from either omniscient or a party member and differentiates from weapons casting the spell or something.

Or it just triggers the reset before the mage masher casts silence since you did an attack.

You can bounce silences on RugWizard in the Matrix version; he can and has been defeated this way. It's trickier because (a) the Silence doesn't last very long (status effects in general last a shorter amount of time on Heavy targets) and (b) if the Silence effect fails to stick for whatever reason, it does trigger the Reset, but it's been confirmed that it's definitely doable.

If the Magic Lamp actually works on him in this version that softens the burden considerably.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Welp, my best friend bought me a DS lite and somehow found me a legit, non-bootleg FFVa cart, so I feel honor bound to switch back to the Advance version for this go around.

In honor of the underappreciated Matrix version, I will offer a second side-:toxx:
If any Goon playing the Matrix version successfully casts Squirrelaja on Neo Exdeath (required: Beastmaster, Chemist, Kornago Gourd, !Mix a Goliath Tonic on a Skull Eater, !Catch it, !Release it at NED) and posts a screenshot of the event to this board, I will make an additional one-time donation of $20
:toxx:

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's an easy way to take a screenshot of a DS lite? Or should I just keep my camera at the ready?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

MagusDraco posted:

Depends. Is it a DSi? Probably can work something out with CFW but I'm not sure. A regular DS Lite? No, get your phone camera.

Yeah, it's just a bog-standard DS Lite.

Nasgate posted:

Just like the dance proc from the dancing dagger, the mug proc from thief knife gives you 3 attacks if you're dual-wielding.

That didn't occur to me... but it's kind of brilliant. Triple your chances of snagging a Dragon Lance and bailing on Shinryu, at the minimum.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Samuel Clemens posted:

Ironically, I imagine the buffs to the class in the iOS version would actually make it harder, since the Berserkers no longer attack the truly dangerous parts (Grand Cross and Almagest) until the front is dead.

To say nothing of the fact that they have to then withstand a hail of Meteors from a single part with full HP.

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, I've been meaning to try a quad zerk on iOS to see how it goes. But real time quad zerk grinding....

Auto-battle is actually pretty fast. It's no emulator fast forward or Bravely Default 4x speed +200% encounters grinding, but it's quite a bit quicker than real hardware.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Say what you will about Geomancers, at least they aren't Dragoons.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

Dragoons are a bulky chassis to boltstrap whatever good skills you have onto and have the unique ability to avoid TKO abilities like Almagest if timed right.

Dragoons are way better than Geomancers.

Well yeah, of course Dragoons are better than Geomancers. Every job is better than Geomancer. Dragoons are just really boring

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I mean, it's a testament for the quality of the design of the game that Geomancer is the worst class, because while it is the worst, it's also far from worthless.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Bears. Always catch bears

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
People who talk about how Chocobo, Sylph, and Remora are useless have obviously never tried to get Shiva with 4 Summoners (and no Fire Rods) before.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Poque posted:

I love having Freelancer for a crystal or two. It's so satisfying to stunlock Garula with the whip and then chop him to bits with the Ashura.

This. Early Freelancer runs can be quite fun for a number of different reasons. Break rods! Use the Cure Staff! Make yourself immune to Garula's attacks!

No, what I don't get are the ZerkRiskers who decide quadzerking Sandworm is fun year in and year out.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

derra posted:

Geo wrecks his first forms, and I think Summoners can still use Chocobo on the last?

This is precisely how I beat him; !Gaia to death his first four forms and when he dies and revives, switch to Chocobo and spam that until he drops.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Shoehead posted:

My chocobo only did like 8 damage. I've been stabbing him but he keeps getting lucky and confusing heals outta me.

Only bust out Chocobo on the last form (when it dies and resurrects), not sure what level you are, I was level 19 and my Chocobo was doing 200 a pop, not great but better than knifing it to death.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Shoehead posted:

Ah poo poo, is there somewhere to get Esuna if you missed it in Karnak?

Butes' hometown

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

fool_of_sound posted:

All the 'Equip Weapon' abilities come with their class' strength score, and all magic abilities come with a magic score.

This is mostly but not entirely accurate. For instance, the Time Mage's "Equip Rods" doesn't transfer any stats at all. "Equip Whips" and "Equip Bows" give their respective class's Strength & Speed scores. "Equip Harps" gives the Bard's Magic and Speed scores, making it one of the best support skills for Berserkers.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

A Real Horse posted:

Thief/White Mage/Bard/White Mage. At least I should never wipe?

Pretty easy Triple Crown there, if you can make it

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

There's one for the pile.

Serene Dragon posted:

Here's another Butes for the pledge :)

AlphaKretin posted:

Chalk up another Butes.

Fat and Useless posted:

Thief(void), Zerk, Dancer, Oracle

I grinded, alot. I stole, alot. I quaked, alot.

Bregor posted:

Reporting for :toxx: duty!

Run #1: Advance BERSKERER RISK — Knight / Berserker / Samurai / Cannoneer

Team Chad Brave Blade Butes never had to run away because it was too busy sticking mobs with the pointy ends of things.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Between Chemist and Canonneer, you get to choose your flavour of broken.

blakelmenakle posted:

The hardest part of the Winner run was figuring out in what ways you want to break the game open.

Osci posted:

White/Barb/Rang/Sam meant that bosses were a breeze. Random encounters were surprisingly painful as I was stuck doing damage with basic attacks until rapid fire.
Shinryu and exdeath were trivial. The party have healing, buffs, the ability to berserk and tons of damage.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You got it, Chief.

Huzzah! posted:

another Butes for the pile.

jaclynhyde posted:

Have an extra-enthusiastic BUTES for the pile!

MagusDraco posted:

Butes Run.

Unreal_One posted:

Thanks, the problem was two singers ends in death. A dummy target berserker with just an aegis shield stopped the double white holing. First ever run down.

Doom Goon posted:

Seriously, boosted Syldra is like cheating (the Mighty Guard didn't hurt but Golem was very good too). I don't think I've ever had an easier Neo Exdeath.

Procrastine posted:

Beastmaster/Bard/Ranger/Monk, triple crown

DalaranJ posted:

Technically, I have never beaten this game before. I always stopped right before NED.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

(One more Butes for the pile)

I've counted 21 complete Butes runs so far! I'm hoping I finish my own in time for it to count.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Air Knife-boosted !Gaia with Summoner's Magic boost is actually really good, guys.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

*whirlpool on heavy enemies*
*bottomless bog on heavy enemies*
*leaf storm in general*

yeah, really good :v:

Basically any dungeon that matters (other than forests) give you a solid chance for Wind Slash, which can get you between 1.5k-2k for free.

It's not gonna win you any boss battles (other than dropping free Meteors on Bahamut, anyway) but it does exactly what it's supposed to do, which is get you through random encounters quickly, easily and without wasting MP.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Oh sure, I could run from random encounters*, but I prefer not having to grind

*There's never really any reason to fight anything in the Rift, so...

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

fool_of_sound posted:

castle exdeath, world 3 optional areas, and the rift are actually the only places where you should strongly consider fighting stuff, cause almost everything there has low run rates!

For the most part, yes. But Behemoths are never with the effort, and Movers can be a pain when you don't need the AP, which you shouldn't by that part

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

And here's my Butes for the pile. Next run I'm thinking of doing a classic Random run. Been a while since I've really gotten to tool around with Wind Crystal jobs.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

blinking beacon nose posted:

I need a team that doesn't require a lot of grinding or farming or hunting because I'm strapped for time. I also missed stuff in W1 to do with any of the classes that weren't on my poo poo team. Also, I don't necessarily want an 'I win' button, something fun but leaning toward good. The stats/buff/debuff oriented classes seem like a good fit.

I'm thinking Bard (unless I missed any of the really really good songs? Also I've never played the class), Cannoneer (never played it but looks interesting), Time Mage and Chemist (because they're fun as poo poo to play and Chemist gets by pretty well even with items you can just buy).

Bard is good; you've missed some of the really good songs (Romeo's Ballad and Alluring Air) which trivialize most random encounters (as well as Omega), but you can get all of the other ones, most of which are also really good. Time Mage is great; as is Summoner (and you haven't missed any of the important summons yet). Chemist is obviously OP but does require some grinding/farming/hunting which you seem to want to avoid. Cannoneer is an almost as good (and in some ways better) alternative but will take some time to unlock (or, if you've already unlocked via patch, you still have to wait a while before you can buy their shots). I don't think you've permanently missed out on any particularly significant Blue Magic either.

Ranger gets you !Rapidfire eventually, which combines with a fully powered Chicken Knife for some respectable physical damage.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Second run on Random; starts with White Mage, then get Mystic Knight. Just in case I was planning on worrying about Almagest any time soon, Gilgabot apparently got me covered.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

rodbeard posted:

I finished my winner run and started on a pure chaos run. I've got blue mage, summoner, dragoon, and black mage. Between blue mage and summoner my run is basically exactly the same strategy wise. What do you all think I should job fair to make things more interesting?

Dancer, for one. You can !Jump with the Maneater!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Spelling Mitsake posted:

2nd run done, more fun than the first. Rapid Fire Dual Wield Chicken Knife is a hell of a drug.

Project Demi is also delightful, I wish there were more hacks like this for old rpgs.

Another Butes if that's still a thing.

It is! We almost to 30!

1) Kyrosiris
2) Serene Dragon
3) AlphaKretin
4) Fat and Useless
5) Bregor
6) Samuel Clemens
7) blakelmenakle
8) Osci
9) Kheldarn
10) Admiral Joeslop
11) Huzzah!
12) Nasgate
13) jaclynhyde
14) MagusDraco
15) Arban
16) Unreal_One
17) Doom Goon
18) Procrastine
19) FeyerbrandX
20) DalaranJ
21) Kite Pride Worldwide
22) Agradine
23) Simply Simon
24) Son of a Vondruke!
25) Darwinism
26) Funktastic
27) Nasgate
28) Spelling Mitsake
29)
30)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Man with Hat posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to post this after my first run and I accidentially spelled the name wrong so it might not even count but https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1140906127149998080

Counted! Buetes is probably even closer to the classical Good Friend's surfer dude/valley girl pronunciation.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Thief is almost certainly going to prefer !Mug over !Jump for Chicken Knife shenanigans.

Also hooray for Bard!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ZypherIM posted:

I hate the delay

ZypherIM posted:

rather just use jump

Whatever floats your boat my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

30 Butes to celebrate 30 Years of Final Fantasy!

I'll drop my donation in August when I get paid.