Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've never played an FF game in my life but a combination of talking to OFS in a discord I'm in and seeing your banner ad has brought me here.

Although I know nothing about this, the game seems fun.

I found a tavern before I got to the wind shrine that had dancers and a pipe organ. I'm assuming if I play more organs I get better at playing them.

I finished the wind shrine and quicksaved ready to start this thing. Some creepy wizards explained what a job is and I think I understand how to do this challenge. I need to ask the twitter bot which of the jobs I need to use when it starts, and then all four of my goobers have to be that thing right?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My impressions of the game so far

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So all my guys are...

...Thieves!

should be fun.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Help how do I kill siren with all thieves.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Capfalcon posted:

Throw potions at undead form is reasonable damage for classes who need the help. Unfortunatly, she's heavy, so no phoenix down shenanigans.

This is how I did it in the end. With all thieves it didn't take me long to swipe 18 or so potions. Then I just fled my way direct to the boss and cheesed it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This really sucked. I had to keep one person on frontline while everyone else spammed potions at the guy. Not only that but I had to change who said guy was depending on who had whatever weird vulnerable status effect was open on them.

It cost me an elixir but it's done. What a mess.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mp5 posted:

What's your water job?

Time mage. I've not played this game before so I'm not sure what one of those is, but I'll figure it out I'm sure.

I'm taking a few moments to cool my nerves before picking the game up again because that elephant brought me to the line.

OzFactor posted:

I hope for your sake that you stole some Mythril Knives from the Wyverns in the Tower. It's not too bad with one of them. But yeah, most classes should be just having one dude hit Garula and the rest hang out in the back and heal with potions.

When I first tried the elephant I was at level 9 with daggers, and it went as well as you could expect. By the time I completed the elephant everyone was level 14, wielding mithril knives from the wyverns, and I even farmed a few hi potions from the headstones at the North mountain.

I don't know what silver glasses do but there's plenty for everyone.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I also killed the facehugger looking guy.

The running theme seems to be having people on the backlines throwing support at the thieves actually fighting the boss. Only this time on top of a crapload of potions and phoenix down they're also throwing time magic.

I hope I didn't miss anything important in the castle. I got a mage slasher and whatever scroll was in the chest I tried to open but otherwise just blasted right through.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OzFactor posted:

I feel like a bunch of people who regularly post in this thread are going to cringe at this question from a party with Thieves, but nah, you'll be fine. I mean, if you have a save right before it, let us know and we'll tell you what to get, but if not, just keep going, no worries.

I do have the save in the pink zone right as the castle is counting down. I think what I'll do is leave it for now. Then, if by some miracle I haven't overwritten this save at the end of the run, I'll ask people about Karnak afterward.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game is really good and I'm glad to have the chance to play it. While having a thief start isn't exactly the kindest introduction this game could have made, everything since has been a lot of fun.

I obviously don't know the parlance but I hope I can explain where I've got to in this Thief, Time, Beast run:

After painfully fighting through the liquid fire segment and the bounty hunter by means of brute force regen and potion spam, I finally have access to the beastmaster.

Everyone's Level 18. Because of the huge leveling I used to get past the elephant, everyone's a thief level 5.

Shartz, currently a beastmaster, has 1 level in beastmaster and is close to his second. He wields a whip, which the game tells me is optimal, and it does seem to hit hard. I plan to take him all the way to level 4 so he can be my thief or possibly samurai later on but still catch mons.

Lenna, currently a time mage, has 3 levels in time mage. She has a fire rod. It's one of a small pile of fire rods I seem to have collected in this short time. I've only just been told about rod snapping. I haven't used it yet but I'll keep it in mind if a boss is starting to tick me off. Lenna has Gravity, which works so well with the beastmasters!

Galuf, currently a beastmaster, has 2 levels in time mage and just got his first in beastmaster. He's holding a mage masher. The beastmaster is my job with the biggest HP pool so far, and this guy can hit hard with that masher. My deal with him is that he hastes himself and goes right in if he's not colluding with shartz to steal mons.

Faris has been pure thief since she could be a thief, and that's because I'm inching her toward 6th thief level. She holds a moonring blade and her bar fills up really fast. That moonring hits hard and is worth hasting Faris for.

The group found some giant birds to catch which we then threw at an ifrit.

The time mage's regenerative abilities and buffs seem to work well with the thieves as well as the slightly tankier beastmasters. The captured animals seem pretty great as well, although it seems weird that I go through a whole fight to capture something that just becomes one move in one fight.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 18, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nailed it :stonklol:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've had a really good time, and I want to say a huge thanks to everyone in the discord who helped me to get through this game. It's why I'm real sad to say this run's a bust.

This is my first time ever playing an FF game, and I've got to NED after what the save file is calling 45 hours (probably more). Thief, Time mage, Beastmaster and Samurai are my pulls.

I don't quite know what "matrix" means but apparently being on the version of the game I'm in means I can't use the dragons to hurt NED like I was hoping to. Also surviving long enough to inflict the 19 gil tosses it'd take to kill NED is just not going to happen, even with a team that survives almagest. Meteor does even less damage than gil toss so that's out. Everyone's over level 40 so I can't capture a crystal monster to protect everyone. Grinding for insane levels or just continually running at the boss until it turns up the right fight just doesn't sound like fun.

I might come back next year and try on a ROM, but this year's experience has been kinda weird. It's been huge fun talking to everyone and learning about this game, which is a lovely game. However, this has left a sour aftertaste.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mp5 posted:

Because you have a Time Mage, you can liberally use Quick to get extra turns whaling on the Almagest part with your heavy hitters. Having Hastega will also let you use accessories other than Hermes Sandals, like Protect Rings or even Elven Mantles if you want a chance to dodge Physical attacks.

I've been abusing the quick spell and elixirs. Smacking down specific parts was never on the cards for me. The best damage I could do was throwing cash or firing meteors, so there wasn't an awful lot of weapon attacks. If you've noticed I'm speaking in the past tense it's because.

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1142102835280134151

OzFactor posted:

NED is hard and you can just get some bad rolls sometimes.

For sure. About half of the time he'd cast grand cross directly after almagest and it'd just be all over. In the end the trick was to get a good roll but also to give my time mage the ability to throw cash and then everyone else time magic. Two characters can quick > throw money > throw money everyone else can quick > meteor > meteor or people can quick to do give two actions for revivals or throwing an elixir at someone who needs more MP.

I just want to say thanks to everyone here and everyone in the discord for walking me through this weird game. Also thanks to OFS for mentioning the fiesta to me, and to whoever bought the banner ad for bringing me here in the end.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 21, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Second run, and I can't believe the AI's luck at the end of this one.

Check out the health score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC2QYLrwNA

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1LHdj6oZPA

I have 45-50 minutes to kill, so I thought I'd share what's going on right now.

I'm struggling with the crystals. Despite some advice from the pros, the plan to get the nonearth crystals down close to 3333 and then do a hail mary titan spam to reduce these down to 1 just isn't happening. Rather than backtrack to find some more gaia gear, or try to work out the best way to play this boss, I've decided to see if I can simply exhaust the boss MP.

My Bard is hidden, the rest are dead.

Three crystals are spamming their spells, taking about 6 seconds per round here. They have 10,000MP each and the spell costs 25MP. To exhaust 10kMP with something that costs 25MP each round will take 400 rounds. At 6 seconds a round it'll take 2400 seconds, so about 40 minutes, and some more for good measure.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 22, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Aqua breath is out of MP, just waiting on Aeroga and Firaga.

E: the "not enough MP" message adds 2 seconds onto the round time. Worst case scenario, then, is a 10 second round. Even if it were 10 seconds from the start it'd take an hour and six minutes, but it wasn't this way from the start and might not get to 10 seconds so still in under an hour of waiting, right?

E: Aeroga is down. Just waiting on Firaga.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 22, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ultrafilter posted:

There's got to be a less painful strategy. What's your team?

Knight, Summoner, Bard, Dancer

The initial strategy was to get golem up, hit the crystals with the knight until they're just above 3333 and then get speed on and go nuts with the Titan summons to get the last half HP down on the top three elements. Then I'd be left with the Earth crystal and idk break some rods or something.

However, even with max summons I don't have enough titans to not give the crystals another turn, so those three are all active and they own everyone.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If one of these things can tpk on its own, it's no surprise I can't handle the four.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks for everyone's advice on how to get out of this rut. Somewhere between the bum rush with titans and the flametongue damage to the earth crystal emerged the idea that...

...and I have no idea where you crazy people get this from...

...to go confuse a bird so it'll cast float on a party member, saving them from the earthquakes that kill me in the end?

How do you guys know this stuff?

Either way this is a wild ride.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The beautiful moment where Galuf fights Exdeath with his dying breath, saving the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOnuyjpc2sU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD38zIozONk
thanks carbuncle

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We did it.

Achieved by getting my dancer to wield a maxed chicken knife and then getting a bard to sing the hero's rime.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Cheesed windigo by spamming bahamut summons. The summoner had an ice shield and enjoyed the ice attacks they got in return

Had another character hide in case the summoner needed slapping out of a confused state.

I think I'm starting to get this game.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://imgur.com/a/31s6uvs

I think I may be bad at this game.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Drew this in the memory of my run with samurai.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 27, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ever since I saw excalipoor I've been really wanting to see something done, a surgical NED kill. Exact HP.

:toxx:

I will donate $40 for the first person in this thread to show me video evidence of them killing NED with a 1HP final blow. I don't mind if you film your screen or if you use decent video capture, so long as it's clear in the moving footage that you did 1HP damage as the final blow that killed NED.

I'll only do this for one submission because I am a poor.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

1234567890num posted:

All in all, this is a great and interesting challenge. Great job coming up with it :thumbsup:

That's amazing! Just what I wanted to see.

Also here's evidence of my end of the bargain.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

White/Black/Mystic/Summon

This party was insane and absolutely tore through the game.

Garula wasn't great with a black mage open, but their ability to eat siren beforehand with fire attacks made up for the difficulty with him.

White mage as a water job patched up all the few issues I was having with the black mages, and gave me the confuse I'd need to float over Titan's death earthquake later on.

After throwing some frost rods, Mystic Knight was my fire job. It's good to see some efficient MP use, some HPs (in relativity) and someone to wield the good swords.

Summoner as an Earth job is interesting. There's no real need to pick up the optional W1 summons with black magic at the ready, the floating city's cannons already dead, and ifrit already dead.

Summoner tore through most of W2 with gaia gear titan spams.

A lot of the bosses late world 2 into world 3 could just be put to sleep and spammed with spells.

Phoenix tower is great when you can turn everyone to harmless toads. Even better when you can one hit kill the toads individually while stealing their stuff using the mystic knight's break enchanted thief knife.

The ability to put reflect on everyone makes twintania a very boring fight. For the most part it was fairly trivial right up until the end.

I don't pick up the magic lamp purely because I don't know where it is, and the explanations I've read make it sound like a real butt to find. It would have made my life easier here.

Going into NED with so few HP meant that my 1st kill was always going to be petrifying Al Majasti with the mystic knight's break sword. While it's not the biggest threat, I go for Grand Coif after Al Majasti because I really don't like having my dudes not be under my control. I had some real issues in the end trying to kill Wizard Bones and Muscledeath simultaneously so as to avoid the fatal meteor spamming. Victory only came after a few tries, when I decided to not eyeball it. Instead I spammed libra while whittling away at these two guys until I was completely sure that I could take them both down in a single round.

In the four runs I've done you can see a huge difference in time and level between my first ever play through of FFV and my most recent run with some pretty disgustingly good jobs.

Note that the character icons are not ordered in any way. It's just the order they were in when I did the NED fight, excepting that I put Bartz at the front so that the save file has whatever name I gave him.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ultrafilter posted:

You're pretty close to meeting the conditions for my 20 jobs toxx. If you feel up to a couple more runs, you can make me spend money on charity.

I've got two or three more in me. That said, the probability of repeats increases with the number of jobs collected. I get the feeling the next 5 jobs are going to be much harder to find than the previous 15!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1147607683329138689

I'm still relatively new to the game, and it'd be the first time playing these jobs. I hope they're good.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Crystal battle at level 23

Three people with blue magic attempted death claw 15 times between them.

The berserker, on the other hand, got to attack 8 times with a death sickle.

I wouldn't have expected the zerk to carry this team, but he won 3 -1 on crystal kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjAgmus67Is

Edit: maths is great

https://i.imgur.com/ZJVXZoL.gifv

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 8, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://i.imgur.com/WgI0tQT.gifv

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I also got thief open on my first ever play through of this game.

Second time around I got knight, and it was definitely a contrast.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mp5 posted:

The Wind Job truly is a land of contrasts

I have now played all of the wind jobs. In order of preference.

Blue mage is hilarious just for some of the weirdness they open up. I haven't finished my blue mage run yet but using mathematics to kill bosses is incredibly satisfying. You can see the hallmarks of the developers fear of this class in the prime numbers, the undead, and the fact the water tower's garula can cast toad on himself to make himself not a toad.

If it weren't for the blue mage's magic hammer (and the dragoon's lance) I wouldn't have done this

https://i.imgur.com/arNCw6m.gifv

Knight is great. You can use them brainlessly or you can start thinking ahead about tactical shield use. They're solid on their own, and a great base for support classes. Also as shown above I do love doing out of the way things just for the fun of it, and the knight just begs you to open the box on the left. I haven't done a brave run yet, but drat it's tempting.

Black Mage comes out flying in the early game by driving a crowbar (or a rod) into any openings made by elemental weaknesses. Then it starts building a stockpile of powerful status effects, not least stone and dead. Finally it gets flare. Black Mage for me is the fond memory of turning everything in phoenix tower into toads so we can just farm items with a thief knife in relative safety. Black mage isn't necessarily as fun or as swaggy as Blue and Knight, but it's consistently strong. It can also throw rods.

I got White Mage as a Water job in a random run, so I don't know what it's like to open with. Nonetheless I imagine that getting White is a sigh of relief for any run. It makes so much crap survivable and then comes out of nowhere in the endgame with Holy. I might have been doing it wrong but Holy seemed to hurt things a little more than Flare. Confuse is also a neat tool, and it allowed me to find some floating before I fought titan. My only issue with white mage is that I haven't found its swag yet. Blue mage is made of swag. Knight has the brave blade. Where's the idiocy that white opens up? I could have missed something, or is white just... sensible? Black also lacks a little bit of swag, and what put black above white for me is that black can always hold its own in a fight, where white is relying on someone else to do its hitting for it until it gets the damage.

Thief is a horrible opener, and my sad experiences of dagger grinds and hacking away at an elephant may have soured my impressions. With that said, there hasn't been a run since where I haven't missed the thief's increased speed, its flee, and it doing away with back attacks. Stealing can be literal swag, and mug bypasses the chicken knife's escape proc. The only reason it isn't higher is because this is a game where you only progress when you win bossfights. Thief doesn't add much to that, even though it does a lot to make everything else smoother.

Monk The monks come out kicking as an opener. They get a great start. The problem with me and the monks is that I have a tendency to try and tear through this game quickly. A class that only improves with character levels is a class that will inherently lag behind when I'm playing it. Monk is fantastic if you can find a way to unnaturally put levels on it. I was lucky enough to be rocking a chemist in my monk run, for example. None of the other classes I've listed have that big of an "if" over them, and that puts monk right at the bottom.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 10, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Blue/Zerk/Geo/Dragoon

The fight started with me killing wizard bones with the lamp. My berserker chipped away at flexdeath while I had everyone else chip away at the other two parts.

The berserker killed flex all on their own, and now I was eyeballing the damage dealt to see how I could kill al majisti and grand coif at roughly the same time. After all, I want as little meteor spam as possible.

Grand cross berserked my Dragoon, and he was forced to put the final lance into al majisti. Fighting grand coif on its own, meteors killed everyone but the dragoon. I just felt like I had to be close to the end, so I waited to see what would happen.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 11, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Edit: Since it's come up a couple times, I want to add that there's no requirement to do this in only five runs. I just did that because I didn't want to play more than I did.

There are no bad jobs, but there are some teams that don't really come together.

Is this toxx still open because

soon

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Neat.

In unrelated news here's a poorly edited video of the clutch NED ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtAhlvxrohc

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I only play matrix. While I could get an emulator I don't think the matrix changes have ever made me want to install new software and faff about with ROMs.

The only time I ever hit a wall with matrix was when the beastmaster captured dragon aevis' breath wings turned out to have a miss chance, meaning I had to fight NED honestly with Quick and Gil toss. I don't want to underplay how big of a wall that was, I almost quit this year's fiesta over that NED battle, but since then I've had a lot of fun on the matrix version.

Also autosave is a darling.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 12, 2019