Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm really curious how much people everywhere pay and when they last saw a dentist was. I'm lucky to live somewhere with an actual NHS dentist so these are my payments. Important to note that if I see a dentist for one of them and there is an issue I can get another appointment with the payment already covered from the previous visit. I think I'm also eligible for free dentistry since I'm on unemployment benefits

If you live in a poo poo town in the middle of nowhere you're probably hosed for being able to see an NHS dentist though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
the price of flossing every day, because i can't afford to go to a real dentist lol

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I pay about 30 dollars for a cleaning because I have decent insurance from my job. But it was determined that I’ve been clenching my teeth badly in my sleep, loving my whole teeth and face up, and the $1,200 custom mouth guard is not covered at all because even “good” dental insurance is mostly loving useless

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress you, jose.

brexit faster so trump can privatize your healthcare in trade negotiations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a chipped molar that required a filling last month and it ran me a little under $300

loving thieves

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I bought a set of dental picks and a mirror for around ten bucks.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

had to get a cap for a molar (15 year old big filling that was at risk of breaking) and it ran me $1300 lol

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
I paid 2000 for oral surgery to prep my jaw for an implant and another 2k on top for the dentist and actual fancy color matched implant. Before that i had a cool gold colored crown since i was a kid

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick
recently over the last 3 months had a lot of work done: 2200 a pop for a root canal and ceramic crown(had 2 done), 800 for a deep laser cleaning that hurt more than anything ive ever experienced and about another 1500 for 5 fillings in southern california

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

jesus it would legit be cheaper for some of you to fly to say, korea and get all your dental work done and fly home.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hundreds of dollars for a cavity fill. Looking at like $1000+ for a root canal, another several hundred for the crown.

You can get an x-ray / diagnosis / cleaning (so your Band 1 course of treatment, looks like) for like $50 because most dentists will do that as an introductory special. Really all that gets you aside from the cleaning is knowledge that you're going to need to come up with like $1000-$2000 to fix anything.

Getting my wisdom teeth pulled was thousands of dollars after all was said and done. Maybe like $4k+ and I didn't even get crowns/implants to replace the extra tooth that came out ('cuz that would have been another $1500+ easy).

Like the fact that you're paying 62.10 for fillings / root canal work / extractions is making me mad even if that's per filling/extraction/watever.

a Loving Dog posted:

jesus it would legit be cheaper for some of you to fly to say, korea and get all your dental work done and fly home.

There are a ton of American dentists just south of the Mexican border for this exact reason. In San Diego they even have shuttles that will come pick you up, take you down there, then take you home again after the work is done.

Jose if anyone you meet in the UK says US healthcare is fine and good feel free to call them a fuckwit moron from me. Tell them it's fine and good to be unable to sleep all night because your tooth is infected due to a botched root canal that left a fat pocket but you didn't know until 2 years later and hurts like hell but you don't know if you can afford to get it removed so you're googling around on how to remove teeth with pliers while waiting for a dentist to open (because you definitely can't afford the emergency dentist).

Then you can't get it removed because $$$ but the dentist can clean it out and stuff it full of antibiotics that break down slowly and that'll be fine for a few months, and hopefully you don't get another infection that then spreads to the rest of your jaw/head/brain.

Deffo some first world poo poo over here while insurers make billions of dollars in profits.

(I eventually got it out and fixed when I got my wisdom teeth out).

:911:

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 23:07 on May 20, 2019

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
when I was poor and had no insurance it was about $100 for cleaning and I paid $1000 for a root canal from a lovely dentist that did a bad job and I ended up having to have it done again (don't remember the cost of the redo)

I'm no longer poor so now I have good insurance and I'd pay $0 for both of those things

in america having more money makes things cost less because it's a bad country that hates poor people

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
You get what you pay for apparently OP!!! :D

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I remember one summer when I was young and my family was visiting our extended family back in Bulgaria and we had waited until then to get dental work done because even in post-Communist collapse Bulgaria people could and can get good dental work done for cheap. They had all the same equipment that the US dentists I went to did, too.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I haven't been to a dentist since probably the 20th century. I went to a doctor and had a physical for the first time since I tried out for football fifteen years ago in april

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Delta Dental

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

My uncle is a dentist and charges me half price and is annoyed that I don't have insurance

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I do all my own dentistry

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chinatown posted:

You get what you pay for apparently OP!!! :D

This is literally it. It's utilitarian healthcare, you don't get the unnecessary cosmetic care that's normal in America. You can still have perfectly straight pearly whites if you payment for them but why bother when no one else does it and there's significantly less peer pressure and expectations to have a flawless gob?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Literally thousands of dollars over here in New York City. Best was getting dental insurance and the dentist office saying all good, I used up my lifetime deductible, and then the dental insurance company deciding lol no, not on us, so the dentist office had to chase us with a $2,000 bill. What the fuuuck.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
dentists and vets are the last bastions of charging fuckloads for nothing

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

i'm dead serious next time you guys are going to get dental poo poo done just look into dental tourism instead. you will save so much money

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

a Loving Dog posted:

i'm dead serious next time you guys are going to get dental poo poo done just look into dental tourism instead. you will save so much money
I don't think people who are poor can afford to travel

what if... and bear with me here... what if we just subsidized the entire healthcare system including dental (because dental hygiene is intrinsically linked to general health)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
dental schools are good places to get stuff done cheap or free fyi

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I went for a routine cleaning a few months ago and paid like 1000 yen or something. Ironically Japanese people have the worst teeth in the world.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

logikv9 posted:

dental schools are good places to get stuff done cheap or free fyi

This. I was friends with a few dental students and was able to get a bunch of stuff done basically free (preventative stuff like cleaning, xrays, and flouride treatment). Only thing is you have to look out for the young doctors in these places. Because they are usually working in a needy area for a low salary in exchange for getting some of their dental school loans paid, youll sometimes come across literal doctors suggesting fillings and things *that you might not need* so they can earn a little more money on the side at your expense. Yeah discovering that crushed my trust in medical professionals in the us

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Cowpocalypse posted:

I don't think people who are poor can afford to travel

what if... and bear with me here... what if we just subsidized the entire healthcare system including dental (because dental hygiene is intrinsically linked to general health)

well obviously, but people itt are dropping thousands that they could literally save

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dental is not covered by the Medicaid-funded poor person with mental illness insurance I am covered by. So like, multiple hundreds out of pocket if I ever had to go.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I haven’t been to the dentist even once in my adult life

The closest thing is I used to bang this gal who went to dental nursing school and got some x days of my hosed up teeth, the instructor brought the whole class over to check out my hosed up grill they were all laughing and the gal said “and his dick is small” and they laughed even harder

Former DILF has issued a correction as of 01:40 on May 21, 2019

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jose posted:

I'm really curious how much people everywhere pay and when they last saw a dentist was. I'm lucky to live somewhere with an actual NHS dentist so these are my payments. Important to note that if I see a dentist for one of them and there is an issue I can get another appointment with the payment already covered from the previous visit. I think I'm also eligible for free dentistry since I'm on unemployment benefits

If you live in a poo poo town in the middle of nowhere you're probably hosed for being able to see an NHS dentist though

jfc i've heard brits complaining about having to pay for the dentist but lmao those costs are frikkin nuts, i spent 400 for a root canal and it didn't include the crown in that price

if i ever hear a brit complain about health care costs again im gonna deport them to australia

e: and this was with pretty decent insurance too

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can you please clarify if that's per filling or if it's like you pay for band 2 and they do all your fillings?

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
havent went to a dentist in about 7 years, from USA

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lol ask this question in D and D and see how many of those fucks are rich liberals

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i can still remember that feeling when they tighten your braces

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I actually just went to the dentist for a follow-up last week to fill a tiny cavity that had formed near a (poorly done) filling from a looong time ago, paid like $40?

check-up, cleaning, etc., everything else was free

take care of your teeth, friends

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Former DILF posted:

I haven’t been to the dentist even once in my adult life

The closest thing is I used to bang this gal who went to dental nursing school and got some x days of my hosed up teeth, the instructor brought the whole class over to check out my hosed up grill they were all laughing and the gal said “and his dick is small” and they laughed even harder

cool

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i have mediacid so nothing but also im probably gonna get hosed and have to pay out of pocket to have this broken tooth fixed so thats cool

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

I haven't been well over a decade since they told me my wisdom teeth were crowding my gums and crowns and fillings were coming loose.

I've had that one dream where your teeth are all disintegrating and swirling into a whirlpool of purple garbage a few times.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

sup