Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Last season on Elementary...
thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855426

Sherlock and Joan are in London. Why? Some dumb bullshit about Sherlock taking the fall for the murder of Michael in place of Joan, even though Joan didn't actually kill him, and then running away to the UK so the FBI couldn't arrest him. I dunno. The reasoning didn't make much sense. Then the show ended, because that was the series finale.

Except it wasn't! Everything pointed to the finale of S6 being the finale of the show, and the writers even admitted it was written as one, but CBS has decided to renew Elementary for one last miniature season. So I guess we're in London now! Also it's a year later! Woo!

Starring

Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes

In Elementary's retelling of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Sherlock is a recovering drug addict, sent to New York City by his wealthy father to help him recuperate. In his time there, he has been working with the NYPD as a consultant on their most difficult cases, mostly by virtue of being too good of a detective to turn away.

Season 6 focused on Sherlock's struggle with post-concussion syndrome, and his befriending of a perfectly normal dude named Michael who turned out to be a serial killer. Once this was revealed, Sherlock spent the rest of the season hunting Michael down, only to be beaten to the punch by Hannah Gregson. But where Sherlock hoped to arrest Michael, Hannah straight-up murdered him, and then the whole thing got pinned on Joan somehow because Michael said her name before he died. Unable to convince the FBI that Joan hadn't been the one to kill Michael, Sherlock confessed to the crime himself and then hosed off to London, using his clout with MI6 to keep the British government from extraditing him.

Lucy Liu as Joan Watson

A former surgeon, Joan Watson left medicine after losing a patient and became a "sober companion" to recovering drug addicts. Her time with Sherlock has shown that she has a knack for detective work, and she now works alongside Sherlock as an equal partner on his cases.

Joan's story in season 6 mostly centered around her sudden inexplicable desire to adopt a child, which led to some sick "don't you have a child to take care of already" burns on Sherlock but, much like all of Joan's plotlines, ultimately went nowhere. After Sherlock revealed his plan to take the fall for Michael's murder, the two shared a heartfelt goodbye that was immediately rendered moot when Joan promptly decided to follow him to London and take up residence in 221A Baker Street.

Jon Michael Hill as Detective Marcus Bell

A detective with the NYPD with the rare distinction of Sherlock's respect. While he gets along well with Watson, he and Sherlock have never quite had what one could call a friendly relationship. That said, both he and Sherlock have great trust and respect for each other, and they have worked together on numerous cases.

In season 6, Bell suddenly got an offer to join the U.S. Marshals, which turned out to be on Sherlock's recommendation, and he spent most of the season mulling the offer over. He didn't take it, of course, because that would have meant writing him out of the show, but it's clear that Bell has the ability to go beyond being a simple city detective, and we may see bigger things happening for him in season 7.

Aidan Quinn as Captain Thomas Gregson

The captain of the NYPD's 11th precinct, Gregson is the one who first brought Sherlock on to help with homicide cases. Like with Bell, he and Sherlock are not friends, but Gregson sees Sherlock's potential and is the first to defend him when other officers mock or distrust Sherlock's investigative style.

Gregson's personal life was mostly a sideshow in the past, but that changed in season 6 when Michael killed the best friend of his daughter Hannah. When Hannah got revenge in the season finale, it was also revealed that Gregson knew about it and erased evidence that might implicate her. Sherlock managed to get around Gregson's betrayal by taking the fall for Michael's murder, but it's unclear what sort of relationship the two will have after the year-long time skip.

James Frain as Odin Reichenbach

A new character for season 7, and sadly, probably the final nail in the coffin for the hopes of Moriarty ever coming back. Aside from the actor, and that Reichenbach will be S7's major villain, we know nothing about him yet.

Other Characters

Natalie Dormer as Irene Adler/Jamie Moriarty

The love of Sherlock's life and the former head of a criminal empire that spans the globe, Moriarty was imprisoned at the end of season 1. Though she has appeared very occasionally since then, for the most part Natalie Dormer's work on Game of Thrones prevented Moriarty from being a major force on the show. Her absence continued through season 6, but Morland warned Sherlock mid-season that Moriarty had slipped her bonds and was now "back" in some unspecified way. Will she make a triumphant return for Elementary's final season? I sure hope so, but at this point I'm not betting on it.

John Noble as Morland Holmes

Morland is Sherlock's father, an obscenely wealthy business consultant whom Sherlock detests. After Sherlock relapsed to his drug addiction in season 3, Morland returned to New York to monitor his son, and was the major focus of season 4 (as well as the target of many exquisitely crafted insults from Sherlock). Season 4 ended with Morland being offered the "position" of head of Moriarty's criminal empire, which he accepted with the goal of dismantling it from within. He returned briefly in season 6, but basically only to warn Sherlock about Moriarty being "back." It is unclear if he will return in season 7.

Ophelia Lovibond as Kitty Winter

An apprentice that Sherlock took on in season 3 while he and Watson were apart, Kitty showed a similar aptitude for detective work. However, in the course of her work with Sherlock, she found the man who had raped her years ago and killed him, then fled so that both she and Sherlock could not be connected to the murder. She appeared once in season 5, but it was strongly played as a farewell, so we'll see if she comes back for season 7.

Ato Essandoh as Alfredo Llamosa

Sherlock's former sponsor in Narcotics Anonymous, Alfredo was once a car thief, but now uses his talents to test alarm systems for car companies. Though they were awkward with each other, Sherlock eventually "fired" Alfredo as his sponsor so that they could be friends outside of their relationship in NA. He appeared briefly in season 6, but has stopped being a major character on the show for the most part.

Rhys Ifans as Mycroft Holmes

mycroft is gross go aw--oh. :rip:
(thanks Pick)

And last but not least...
Clyde as Clyde

https://twitter.com/elementary_cbs/status/1026901182009106432

Elementary premieres Thursday, May 23rd at 10pm on CBS!

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is Clyde even alive anymore

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The final season's antagonist is named Odin Reichenbach? That's so metal and perfect I love it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Dragonatrix posted:

The final season's antagonist is named Odin Reichenbach? That's so metal and perfect I love it.
Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB4rZMipgtM

Milo and POTUS posted:

ban this sick filth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You're the one teasing us with a turtle that may not even exist

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hello, show I love!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

he got in trouble last year for some drunk racist tweets

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Hopefully we get a satisfying conclusion.

Hopefully.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

We have a trailer too. Watson is blonde now I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWOhB8JKIB0

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Adnor posted:

Hopefully we get a satisfying conclusion.

Hopefully.

:same:

And if it's bad, just pretend the show ended after season 6.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

My exact plan!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Season 6 ending was good enough to be the show finale, so yeah. Same.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

quote:

but CBS has decided to renew Elementary for one last miniature season.
Wait, how long is this season?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, how long is this season?
13 episodes. Granted, S6 was originally supposed to be 13 episodes as well, but I'm guessing it's too late for new eps to be ordered.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Heck yeah we're back.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Heh? Okay.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
The one thing about this show is that it's IMO, a sherlock holmes show where ignoring the "lore" made it better.

I generally liked Moriarty because it was just a very organized psychopath whose "criminal empire" was just a rolodex of the kind of garbage people who happily commit crimes in exchange for money. Further appearances weren't great. In general I'm not a fan of that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Clyde lives!

The change of scenery is nice. I hope they get some good use of London before moving back to New York(I assume that's what will happen anyways).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Feels like they'll be back sooner rather than later given that happened to Gregson.

I liked the explanation as to why Marcus isn't a Marshall yet.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Clyde lives!

The change of scenery is nice. I hope they get some good use of London before moving back to New York(I assume that's what will happen anyways).

They never left from the looks of it.
It looks so 'faux' english to me. The side walks are so american.
Just swap the rich suspects to have posh accents and the average suspects to be cockney luv a duck guvnor

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I wonder if Saffron Burrows is going to show up again. Otherwise she seems like kind of a big pull for just that one scene.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It was a nice bonus getting to see Kitty again for a few scenes.

Hypocrisy posted:

Feels like they'll be back sooner rather than later given that happened to Gregson.

I was fully expecting them to be back next week for some reason. This is absolutely a very strong motivator to do just that.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
It bothers me no end that the way they solved the case was because "obviously" the model had given her National Insurance number to the hospital where she was having cosmetic surgery - they're a tax thing, and get no use outside the tax system unlike SSNs. For someone who's not on PAYE like a model then your accountant will know it and HMRC will know it but that's it for third parties. It really makes the case read hard as one that was set in the USA originally then moved to the UK more or less last minute (and the scene where the model is attacked I swear that no one is even attempting a UK accent so it may have been a very last minute change?)

happyhippy posted:

It looks so 'faux' english to me. The side walks are so american.

At least the car that Kitty's kid was put in was left hand drive.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 26, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A bit disappointed that Sherlock is just walking around New York. He should be wearing disguises! Maybe a novelty mustache or hat. Or pull an Arrested Development and hire someone to be his Larry Middleman.

The ending wasn't completely unexpected but I'm guessing he's out to assist with the case of the week in two episodes at most.

Hypocrisy posted:

Looks like you were right.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm actually a bit surprised at how that ended but I am assuming that it was done to further the case.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

It's hard to tell from the preview, but my guess is Sherlock is going to offer his help to root out any other people connected to the ferry bomb plan, in exchange for the FBI dropping the charges against him.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I wasn't thrilled with last week but I liked this one a lot more. Also yes to disguises

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Oh hot drat, I didn't realize this was back on.

Elementary is the best Holmes in recent years.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A bit disappointed that Sherlock is just walking around New York. He should be wearing disguises! Maybe a novelty mustache or hat. Or pull an Arrested Development and hire someone to be his Larry Middleman.

I dunno, I kinda liked that he had the casual audacity to just wander around being Sherlock like it's no big deal.

Of course, it was undermined a bit when he outright walked into the FBI HQ, and folks there had no idea who he even was, so it just made the FBI look even more incompetent.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Dragonatrix posted:

I dunno, I kinda liked that he had the casual audacity to just wander around being Sherlock like it's no big deal.

Of course, it was undermined a bit when he outright walked into the FBI HQ, and folks there had no idea who he even was, so it just made the FBI look even more incompetent.

You mean the door security guy? I doubt he's kept up to date on suspects in year-old murders.

On top of that, I have to think Sherlock isn't a terribly high priority for the FBI. Investigator with a long history of helping the police confesses to killing a known serial killer that had personally threatened him, then skips the country? I doubt someone is monitoring street cameras every day in case he decides to come back to New York. Especially since the FBI agent in charge of the investigation thinks the confession was bogus anyway.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Whew. Tough episode for blackmailers.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Lucy's hair is definitely growing on me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hypocrisy posted:

Whew. Tough episode for blackmailers.

I did like that someone outplayed Sherlock. Well done.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yeah that got an "OOF" from me. great moment.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm surprised that I am so interested in this case of the week season. I really want to know where this is going. Deep down I'm hoping it ties into another one of Moriarty's schemes and they close that plotline too since the season is ending.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I keep hoping for an appearance but I know it'll be a last second thing

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That first scene made me mad.

I keep forgetting that this is a proper short season and I keep expecting a sudden dropping of the overarching plot until the last episode. So we have a new, shadowy organization with unknown ideals but possibly vaguely patriotic? Made me think of Burn Notice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder if he'll get some comeuppance before the series finale or if this is just the reality of Sherlock playing fast and loose with bad people.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I can't remember the last time Elementary had a good engaging season long background plot the way this season does. It's a shame it's going to be the end because the show really does seem to have rejuvenated itself after a very soggy middle run of episodes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Woof. This episode was... not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well that was an unexpected turn. Tech ceo who uses his surveillance and information to stop domestic terrorism only he hires incompetent people as the pointman. I think CBS used to have a show like this :v: Should be a good antagonist for the season.