Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Killing people is easier is it? I suppose that makes it alright." :v:

Looks like a big ol whoopsie by Sherlock and Joan. Time to step up the murder protocols on facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really hate this dude

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So is it going to turn out Reichenbach had the dude and his family killed to "prove" his point? That would be somewhat of a moral cop-out for the question Reichenbach's process poses.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slamhound posted:

So is it going to turn out Reichenbach had the dude and his family killed to "prove" his point? That would be somewhat of a moral cop-out for the question Reichenbach's process poses.

That was my first thought as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think there's any chance he didn't do it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Elementary isn't usually that ham-fisted, then again its the last season of the show + a time constrained season as well.
Vanishingly small chance that the double murder-suicide is a fake-out by Sherlock/Joan, using Morland-MoriartyEvilCorp or the brigade of irregular's .

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Slamhound posted:

So is it going to turn out Reichenbach had the dude and his family killed to "prove" his point?

Oh, absolutely. I was expecting the entire time that he was going to have the guy killed regardless of Sherlock's conclusion. The active intervention that swayed it so the guy was definitely not a threat just sealed it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don’t think he had the family killed, but the women who was all kung ho about offing Joan did it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slamhound posted:

It already works against him. His claim is that his predictions are accurate enough to determine who should live and who should die, but in this case the thing he predicted didn't happen - yet he's taken it as a confirmation anyway. He essentially modified his prediction after the event to make it seem more accurate than it was and Sherlock and Joan should have called him out on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah they're almost conspicuously getting clowned this season and it better wrap up well or so help me god

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo a direct continuation from last week. Oh poo poo it's Morland and he's here to help. Oh poo poo he's dead. :rip:

Sherlock I am disappointed you weren't wearing an old school analog wire for your meeting with Odin.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I hope the solution for dealing with Odin Reichenbach involves the other Odin encountred by Joan and Sherlock.
Very strong meta-callback if it happens, while possibly injecting a momentary lighter tone into a increasingly darkening final season of the show.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My crazy theory for the finale and dealing with Odin:

Odin's last name Reichenbach is not on mistake especially with this season being the last of the show. If you are not familiar enough with Sherlock book is a short story where Sherlock fights with Moriatry and tumble off the Reichenbach Falls to their death. (This was Sherlock's death in the books for years until fans put pressure on Doyle to bring him back and write more, which he did.)

Now, I wonder if Sherlock will use Odin's own method/technology against him. With his dad now being killed off he wants revenge and Odin should know this. Maybe Odin uses his channels to send someone after Sherlock or does it himself to prove something but either Sherlock was playing him the whole time knowingly or (like the book) knowingly walked into a trap to face his demise to take down his adversary. Odin's park he was shooting archery at was high up, wasn't it? Fall right into the river and be gone with no one ever knowing!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong with the book plot at all. It has been a while. I need to read the novels again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That park is on roosevelt island I believe. So pretty much sea level.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I am looking forward to Holmes straight up murdering a dude.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Imagine not siding with the guy mad about opioid deaths.

e: I'm watching it right now if you can't tell

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Imagine not siding with the guy mad about opioid deaths.

e: I'm watching it right now if you can't tell

Stewart Pringle did nothing wrong.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Man this episode was just a kick in the taint. How many left?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I really liked how at the end there, despite everything he says, you could tell that Sherlock was trying very hard to keep composed and just barely failing.

In a lot of ways, this episode very strongly reminded me of M from season 1. Now that Morland died because Odin interfered with the Chinese government directly, he's made this explicitly personal to Sherlock. I don't see Odin getting the same treatment Moran got (although that would be incredibly satisfying), but the episode as a whole felt like it was barreling towards the finale and the denouement really made it pronounced.

It is amazing that Reichenbach's Fall is ultimately going to be because he still had a dude who lived in his parent's basement murdered.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Man this episode was just a kick in the taint. How many left?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Morland no

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
As soon as Morland and Sherlock has the moment in front of the fire we knew Morland was a goner. Your last moment with a charcter is a tender one? RIP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The woman who played Annie spellman looked a lot like another actress but they're not the same person and I can't place the other one and it's annoying me

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Jose posted:

The woman who played Annie spellman looked a lot like another actress but they're not the same person and I can't place the other one and it's annoying me

Cara Buono?

On Person of Interest, she played a shooter who was often similarly dressed with the same hair style.

edit:

I'm watching Burn Notice right now. Alana Tal could be her sister, was also in Supernatural.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 5, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If Morland is that wily, next episode Sherlock should get a last recording of him with something he can use.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

https://youtu.be/eB4rZMipgtM

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

drat that last "what will happen to my son" was painful.

This means Moriarty has to be back right?

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 5, 2019

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Hypocrisy posted:

This means Moriarty has to be back right?
I have a sneaking suspicion that the next episode is going to end on the stinger of Moriarty showing up. I don't really have any basis for it, but it seems like the sort of twist appropriate for the episode before a series finale. Maybe Sherlock decides that she's the only person who can help deal with Reichenbach when he already has his hooks in so many agencies.

There was a long-running thing in the earlier seasons where Sherlock and Moriarty kept writing letters to each other, wasn't there? Did something actually end that or was it just kind of forgotten?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the next episode is going to end on the stinger of Moriarty showing up. I don't really have any basis for it, but it seems like the sort of twist appropriate for the episode before a series finale. Maybe Sherlock decides that she's the only person who can help deal with Reichenbach when he already has his hooks in so many agencies.

There was a long-running thing in the earlier seasons where Sherlock and Moriarty kept writing letters to each other, wasn't there? Did something actually end that or was it just kind of forgotten?

That was when Moriarty was in jail. They stopped when she broke out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I expect Holmes to kill Odin.

And if he does, if he goes to jail, a very bittersweet ending would be Holmes corresponding with her.

Maybe Holmes' descent is supposed to mirror Moriarty's descent?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Being caught in an explosion can't be good for post concussion sufferers :v:

I hope there is more closure to the Reichenbach case in the finale because that was a very weak set up that Sherlock did. He would beat the murder charge no problem.

It seems like the final episode will be one long epilogue which is definitely an interesting decision. I hope they nail it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Interesting choice for a closing scene. I suppose since it's doubtful anyone believed it they might as well make it clear.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope there is more closure to the Reichenbach case in the finale because that was a very weak set up that Sherlock did. He would beat the murder charge no problem.

But as Gregson pointed out, that's not really the point. Sherlock's investigation will point to Odker's program, which means every bit of it will be dug up and presented during discovery. At that point, Reichenbach is done.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Sherlock has made such a wonderful mess of Odker.

I hope we get a bittersweet ending. He takes over what remains of Moriarty's network. Goes legit. Becomes his father. Has some kids (with Moriarty).

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The IMDB summary of the next episode says Moriarty is in it

I've actually liked this season a lot. The BBC Sherlock Reichenbach Fall was my favorite of that series, and I've appreciated the similarities and differences in the Elementary version. Morland's death was very well done, and it's good to see the show address technology pushing both Holmes' methods towards obsolescence.

If the finale nails it, Elementary will be low-key one of my favorite tv series. The last 2 seasons were a huge rebound after the mediocre S5, leaving it as the only weak one of the bunch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All in all, it has been a truly phenomenal show.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Did I see Clyde on the bridge as Sherlock's backup?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Pick posted:

All in all, it has been a truly phenomenal show.

One of my all-time favorites and with high rewatch value!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Accretionist posted:

Yep, because then you get to see that the actress who played Annie Spellman was also in the pilot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

I agree, I don't normally re-watch tv shows (Star Trek and B5 excluded) but this one I've rewatched as much as basically anything. I even bought it on blu-ray.