Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I don't know the ins and outs, but if you don't have a legal business entity set up, can you cash checks made out to said business entity? Checks made out to "Bob's Consulting" are not technically the same as checks made out to "Bob Smith." You and the company probably don't care, but the banks might pitch a fit.

In any case, unless this is a permanent venture you probably want to just subsist as an Independent Contractor. Have all the checks and tax forms made out to you directly rather than your non-existent company. Won't make any financial difference to the company, it just changes the Tax ID on the 1099 and name on the checks.

There are probably contractual and liability issues associated with this, so that's another possibility... if you're doing anything that might get you sued maybe then you want to form an LLC or something. If you're just doing BS work for a few weeks for an old employer, probably not worth the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Minidust posted:

What my current boss suggested was a daily rate derived from my current salary (i.e., [X/52]/5 ), increased by 15%. So I'd bill the company for that amount on any day I do work for them. So it seems like a pretty favorable arrangement for me, especially on days where the work amounts to just an hour or two.

Did you double check the numbers? Remember you're losing more than salary.... you're losing access to equipment, software, benefits, retirement, etc.... I know you said health insurance is taken care of, but there's a ton of other benefits that your employer provides that can be easily converted to a dollar figure.

Don't forget that you are responsible for their half of FICA taxes now. 15% should more than cover it, but might not be enough once you consider everything else you lost.