Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I doubt you need an LLC unless you risk getting sued for doing your job.

You'll need to pay your own taxes quarterly, you can do this online easily and there are calculators to estimate what you owe. You will be paying self employment tax, so make sure your billing rate is higher or else the company is just taking you for a ride to avoid employer taxes.

When you file taxes, you'll get a 1099 in the mail and you'll file a schedule C. Keep track of any expenses you have, including health care premiums if your new employer isn't paying for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

I don't know the ins and outs, but if you don't have a legal business entity set up, can you cash checks made out to said business entity? Checks made out to "Bob's Consulting" are not technically the same as checks made out to "Bob Smith." You and the company probably don't care, but the banks might pitch a fit.
Depends on the bank, but it's definitely legal to cash a check intended for you, even if it's the wrong name or your business name. So if your bank allows it, you're okay, but yeah, avoid the hassle and have them write it out to you directly.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

Get the LLC
Why? It doesn't sound like liability is a factor and he doesn't want to start a business. Most 1099 work is just sole prop. Am I missing something?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Minidust posted:

Is there any reason I couldn't start with a sole proprietorship and then just look into LLC/S-Corp/etc if it's still going on in six months or so?
No reason unless you fear being sued. If it turns out to be a long thing or makes you a ton of money, come back here and ask again!