Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I've been trying to figure out how to do somet backend stuff (unsuccessfully), so instead I'll divert from my unseen litany of failures to my much more visible litany of failures. What features, abilities, skill trees, or design changes would you like to see? Like what's the most important poo poo you guys need? For the record, I'm never doing +1s or thumbs ups or whatever circlejerk poo poo goes on to fuel the morons in social media. And please let me know the reason why you would like to see this change.

And please do not poo poo up this thread with garbage. I absolutely will ban you if you're just shitposting.

Thank you and have a pleasant Something Awful experience on this dead, gay, "comedy" forum website dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I want you to post more Lowtax. Hope you’re doing well guy :)

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
never ever add upvotes, seriously

edit: basically imo a big part of the reason the forums don't suck for discussion compared to the rest of the internet is specifically because there's no stupid number next to your posts/username that encourages everyone to post stupid hyperbolic poo poo or pander for upvotes

jimmyjams fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 23, 2019

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I want you to post more Lowtax. Hope you’re doing well guy :)
Thank you, I would like to post more, but please focus on the initial purpose of this thread.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

jimmyjams posted:

never ever add upvotes, seriously

edit: imo part of the reason the forums don't suck for discussion compared to the rest of the internet is specifically because there's no stupid number next to your posts/username that encourages everyone to post stupid hyperbolic poo poo or pander for upvotes
Like I said, I will never add upvotes. Please stick to the original request in the thread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think the site really needs anything, tbh. Just keep the lights on and the forums relatively stable and I think we're good.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Host a nightly live trivia game

Edit: I mean, live events seem to be all the rage nowadays

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I want people on my ignore list to also have their posts that are quoted ignored.

Having pcosbills original poo poo post ignored only to have wade through quote after quote of his garbage sucked. Yes I know he's banned. Still sucked.

Also bring back hell banning. Bonus points if their posts just show up as "oooOoOoO" like ghost noises and their av is a ghost.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Dark mode CSS or maybe an option for auto-play for gifv and mp4 videos when you're scrolling.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

honda whisperer posted:

I want people on my ignore list to also have their posts that are quoted ignored.

Having pcosbills original poo poo post ignored only to have wade through quote after quote of his garbage sucked. Yes I know he's banned. Still sucked.

Also bring back hell banning. Bonus points if their posts just show up as "oooOoOoO" like ghost noises and their av is a ghost.
The first suggestion is good. The second, ehhhhhhh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh, a way to sort the Leper's Colony to show everything but sixers would be cool.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Who What Now posted:

Oh, a way to sort the Leper's Colony to show everything but sixers would be cool.

:agreed:

Also an update to the contact info section on profiles would be nice. I seriously doubt anyone is using ICQ or AIM in 2019.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Minus Green posted:

:agreed:

Also an update to the contact info section on profiles would be nice. I seriously doubt anyone is using ICQ or AIM in 2019.

This is true, but when I initially asked what fields people would like there, it ended up with about 500 different contact methods.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
I wouldn't bother to post here as frequently as I do if the forums weren't as good as they are, and I'm not even trying to be a brown-nose by saying that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lowtax posted:

This is true, but when I initially asked what fields people would like there, it ended up with about 500 different contact methods.

Steam and Discord profiles would probably be safe bets

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Mouse-over popup messages on ban/probation links so I can easily laugh at the message without having to load the lepers colony page

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Less mods, more titties

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Not sure if this works now or if I'm doing something wrong, but a way to resume browsing a thread from where I left off would be great. I'm still catching up on awesome old threads - some of which are 700+ pages long and having to remember where I was is too hard for my aging, feeble brain.

E: Turns out this exists and works just fine but it doesn't work with the mobile client plus bouncing between the two seems to break it.

Lowtax posted:

"Preferred contact method" and a free-text field would work just fine. You don't need to cater to everyone. Hell, let people add additional fields if needed.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 23, 2019

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Maybe a way to be able to go to a post where someone quoted your post so I can remember where I was posting in a booze fueled stupor and the kind of stupid poo poo i said the night before

I can't keep track when I'm on a stream of consciousness bout of shitposting

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Maybe a way to be able to go to a post where someone quoted your post so I can remember where I was posting in a booze fueled stupor and the kind of stupid poo poo i said the night before

I can't keep track when I'm on a stream of consciousness bout of shitposting

An auto-PM if someone quotes your posts would be good. I've missed a few replies that way.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Giant_Pupils posted:

An auto-PM if someone quotes your posts would be good. I've missed a few replies that way.

I wouldn't want the guy I called a pillowbiter the night before think I was being rude and ignoring him

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I don't know if you have to kill yourself coming up with important changes right away. I've had platinum/avatar/archives for awhile and now that I'm not an annoying broke college student, I have more money to spend on things I don't need. I would buy a pointless aesthetic upgrade or some useless/joke function if it meant helping the site and having something most people don't have. This isn't really a definite suggestion, just letting you know the things I would do. With money.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I wouldn't want the guy I called a pillowbiter the night before think I was being rude and ignoring him

It's just a PM. You don't' need to actually reply to it.
(please don't call me a pillowbiter)

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Steam and Discord profiles would probably be safe bets

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I would also like the abilty to call people 'pillow biter's in a public f0rum

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
Make twitch.tv clips embeddable please.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lowtax posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to do somet backend stuff (unsuccessfully), so instead I'll divert from my unseen litany of failures to my much more visible litany of failures. What features, abilities, skill trees, or design changes would you like to see? Like what's the most important poo poo you guys need? For the record, I'm never doing +1s or thumbs ups or whatever circlejerk poo poo goes on to fuel the morons in social media. And please let me know the reason why you would like to see this change.

And please do not poo poo up this thread with garbage. I absolutely will ban you if you're just shitposting.

Thank you and have a pleasant Something Awful experience on this dead, gay, "comedy" forum website dot com

a shortcut for adding links, like 'ctrl-k' and a url box pops up then you hit enter and it turns the selected text into a link

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The vote buttons are too close to the link back to the thread list. My fat fingers are always voting 2 for perfectly good threads when all I want to do is leave.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Giant_Pupils posted:

"Preferred contact method" and a free-text field would work just fine. You don't need to cater to everyone. Hell, let people add additional fields if needed.

Yeah, this seems like the best way to handle it - just let people put in what works for them.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I want the freakin' OP to be healthy and happy. :mad:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

perhaps just a generic catchall field for posting whatever social media a person uses, rather than a field for each :shrug:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
also perhaps better training for the volunteer moderation staff :shrug:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, also Yandex integration

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Maybe I'm just stubborn and spergy but I don't think there's much that needs to be fixed, what I like most is it's sort of a throwback. This place works really well as an island away from the garbage dump that is social media and the "mainstream" internet. My only complaint is that the search function is kind of wonky sometimes.

Now that said, I don't know if this thread is just about the forums specifically but I'd like to see the frontpage updated because all the tabs and links refer to features that haven't been around in years. And the Awful Link of the Day has been the same one for years. In all honesty I give way more attention to the forums anyway but it would just be nice to have the frontpage reflect what's going on with the site now.

edit: Oh and I'm seconding the thing about still being able to see ignored uses when people quote them or when you're replying to the thread itself. It kind of defeats the purpose of blocking people.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Replace "Buddy List" with "Forum Family" so i can adopt my own SA forum family.

I could choose a spouse and then a brood of children, and then we could have dinner together and talk about our day, but virtually online about our online day.

I spend a lot of time on ESPN.com so I could regale everyone with tales about the latest sports drama. I also participate on the MUThead forums sometimes but I am permabanned there, so I can only really post there inbetween bans, but still I feel like I have a lot to bring to the e-table.

I would hope thta my spouse is into cinema/tv news, and into Judge Judy ( I want to watch that at dinner). Hopefully the kids are a nice mix of races genders and ethnicities, to keep the conversation fresh and to keep the perspectives unique

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe SA could get into Live Sports like Hulu? I feel like American Soccer is an ujntapped market that probably has a pretty affordable broadcasting deal to be made.

Also theres all that drama going down with women's hockey. SA could probably afford to sponsor an entire league there

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
As far as womens hockey goes, I really think we should encourage fighting, and enforcers in general. That is what the people want to see

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just spitballing here, but something that comes to mind is Prepared Foods.

Anything we can do with that???

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Can we have the image thumbnailing changed a bit? I like that they start off as thumbnails. When you click to get the mid-sized version it seems a little small on my screen, but when I click it for the original sized version it is too large. Can the mid-size version fit the screen width/height - not necessarily in a lightbox but something with that sort of feel.

Other than that, these forums are pretty good. They have all the functionality that I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The embedded video function needs some attention. gfycat would probably be a good addition (if possible), and I'm pretty sure Vimeo still embeds a flash-based player instead of HTML5.

Custom platinum icons (for a fee, like avs) could be cool.