Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There's... not much I really feel like needs changing right now? I mean, I'm sure it's still a mess technically but I'm not feeling like there's anything too broken or missing as a user. Maybe make a toggle for Twitter embedding? It can make threads load slower/more hiccupy when my connection isn't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Image attachments could use some extra features. Right now it just prints it out at the end of the post text. It would be nice to be able to position an attached image within the post text, manage its size, align it, etc. Many times I would like to attach an image in line with text as part of a reply, but can't because you can only have it at the end.

Being able to attach more than one image would also be nice, but understand the constraints with bandwidth, etc.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Image attachments could use some extra features. Right now it just prints it out at the end of the post text. It would be nice to be able to position an attached image within the post text, manage its size, align it, etc. Many times I would like to attach an image in line with text as part of a reply, but can't because you can only have it at the end.

Being able to attach more than one image would also be nice, but understand the constraints with bandwidth, etc.

I think Xenforo has an addon that is basically Imgur integration.

You drag a image into your post, it uploads the image to imgur, and displays the image where you dragged it in your message

Perhaps something like that would be nice :shrug:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
A companion series on Amazon Prime Video

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I'd love the ability to pay for a customized Platinum user logo. It's fine if it's only avaible for the person buying the thing, not the ability to buy it for others.

Besides that, honestly I'd appreciate anything that makes this forum more efficient and allows you to save money on hosting costs, Lowtax.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Mandatory posting uniforms for professional posters.

No posting in your boxers bro

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
A voiceclip that says "HELLO USER" when you log in

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Secret Threads

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Giant_Pupils posted:

Not sure if this works now or if I'm doing something wrong, but a way to resume browsing a thread from where I left off would be great. I'm still catching up on awesome old threads - some of which are 700+ pages long and having to remember where I was is too hard for my aging, feeble brain.

E: Turns out this exists and works just fine but it doesn't work with the mobile client plus bouncing between the two seems to break it.

I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about, but the mobile edition has a "mark post last read" feature, so if I stop in the middle of a page to gently caress off to something else, I can go directly back to that post, essentially. I'd love something like that on the main site, because I am much more prone to loving off to something else when I'm on my desktop vs. popping a squat and being a captive audience w/ my phone

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
a WebTV app

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

A better smilie page would be nice. There’s an awful lot now and finding a particular one can take a while if you don’t know the exact name.

And tuning up Search so that an admin doesn’t have to manually re-index it periodically.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
make search autoindex already

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Search could be better

E: guess I was beaten by a million posters

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 23, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

ArfJason posted:

Yeah that's like the only thing that's actually broken right now and definitely needs some fixing, as it completely breaks every two or three months and brings up the same QCS threads coming up every now and then.

Oh and it would be so amazing to get a new, sorted or sortable smiley page! :peanut:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Revamp the PM system so it's more like a private thread than what it is now.

Devils Affricate posted:

Mouse-over popup messages on ban/probation links so I can easily laugh at the message without having to load the lepers colony page

This is a good idea. On the banned or probated avatar image too.

SO DEMANDING posted:

Custom platinum icons (for a fee, like avs) could be cool.

Yes.

mercenarynuker posted:

I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about, but the mobile edition has a "mark post last read" feature, so if I stop in the middle of a page to gently caress off to something else, I can go directly back to that post, essentially. I'd love something like that on the main site, because I am much more prone to loving off to something else when I'm on my desktop vs. popping a squat and being a captive audience w/ my phone

Bottom left icon under the custom title area does this. The app feature is just a link using functionality already on the forums.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also ive come to report a bug: some years ago an admin gave me a custom plat icon out of the blue. But when I lose plat, the icon remains. Please fix either by restoring my plat or making it so that custom icons dont display when you lose plat.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dark mode. Should be pretty simple cause its just css and itll make this brightass site do less damage to our feeble eyes. And its trendy to have one

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe
The ability to search within a specific thread. Maybe like when you're in a thread have a button or link to enter search criteria for the thread.

The ability to search for thread names/subjects.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ArfJason posted:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
probably dumb but it would be cool to be able to toggle between forum themes so we can browse in ultra sick web 1.0 before the move to the new forums (assuming that these are just goofy interim features to add to the current forum for now)

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Bookmark individual posts.

1. I find a post I like, I click "bookmark post"

2. I open my control panel click "bookmarked posts" or whatever, and I see the post I just bookmarked (as well as all the posts I bookmarked previously)

It's basically faves or likes, but private (no metrics visible to other users, just my private list of bookmarked posts). The author of the post should not know that I bookmarked it.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

jimmy mnemonic posted:

The ability to search within a specific thread. Maybe like when you're in a thread have a button or link to enter search criteria for the thread.

The ability to search for thread names/subjects.

I like this idea, especially with something like the Military History thread where's five versions of a thousand pages each.

I just started using a phone to read the forum. Pages look great. I don't know if anything can be done to make the index page easier to navigate on mobile. The text comes out very small. I know I can zoom, just curious if there's any other setup for it?

I'll add to the don't die or go away, post more, etc.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

get rid of all of this

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
In the nice to have category:
  • Group search results by thread
  • Block PMs from ignored users

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Darth Brooks posted:

I like this idea, especially with something like the Military History thread where's five versions of a thousand pages each.

I just started using a phone to read the forum. Pages look great. I don't know if anything can be done to make the index page easier to navigate on mobile. The text comes out very small. I know I can zoom, just curious if there's any other setup for it?

I'll add to the don't die or go away, post more, etc.

Get the goon made apps

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

1. i feel like the forums get extremely siloed due to the nature of the VB system (i'm assuming) and people that aren't explicitly looking for a given topic or regularly looking into a given forum might have no idea what cool stuff is actually available in there. would there be value in having something like "the most active thread" or "the most viewed thread" or some other thing that displays on the forums main page for each sub-forum, so that people can get a sense of what's happening in each area at a glance?

2. maybe the ability for mods / users to collaboratively select the top three threads they want to represent "their" forum and having those pinned to the forums main page? i just feel like there's all kinds of amazing content but everything is so decentralized, and if you don't actually go digging for a specific thing (or even know if the specific thing is available in the first place) you can miss out on a lot of cool poo poo. i also feel like it'd maybe make the forums feel less insular if people were able to quickly see what was happening / popular in a given forum, and they might poke their nose in when they otherwise wouldn't have.

3. also, is there any chance that we can see which users are mods on which sub-sub-forums? like you can see the mods list for each main sub-forum (say Games) but if you go into the sub-sub-forums (like MMOHMO or Let's Play) there doesn't appear to be any obvious list of the current mods. if you're new to a forum or don't follow a given forum like a hawk, it can be difficult to know which users are actually the current mods for a given sub-sub-forum. i feel like this was something SA used to do (maybe early 2000s?) and it disappeared at some point.

edit:

4. i don't know what kind of pubnub nightmare it'd involve, but it'd be cool if the forums would update in near-realtime when people make posts. have the main thread list for a forum move around as people make posts without having to refresh. make new posts display in a thread as they're made without having to refresh. maybe make the reply field some kind of pop-out modal that overlays the thread you're current in, so that the thread can continue to update in realtime and you can compose your reply and it doesn't get all wonky with loading a different page?

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 23, 2019

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

The rules should be updated, there's a bunch that aren't enforced and a bunch that aren't written that are selectively enforced, resulting in silly things like mods probating other mods for saying retarded

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I would like to be able to sort threads on the forum index by date created so it's easier to see new threads.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schweinhund posted:

I would like to be able to sort threads on the forum index by date created so it's easier to see new threads.
Like to be able to see threads from all forums, instead of having to click each one?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Lowtax posted:

This is true, but when I initially asked what fields people would like there, it ended up with about 500 different contact methods.

Let people define their own profile fields (like 4-6 max).

Also, replace gender with preferred pronouns.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like to be able to see threads from all forums, instead of having to click each one?

Sounds more like he's saying he'd like a way to organize/display threads by creation date, as opposed to last post.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like this if you can choose the forums to show instead. It would be a superior UserCP and would probably stimulate discussion. It would definitely save time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Sounds more like he's saying he'd like a way to organize/display threads by creation date, as opposed to last post.
Either way I think it's a good idea. As an admin I'd love to be able to just click "see 25 latest threads" or w/e.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

underage at the vape shop posted:

Get the goon made apps

Hey, that works.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Freaking Crumbum posted:

1. i feel like the forums get extremely siloed due to the nature of the VB system (i'm assuming) and people that aren't explicitly looking for a given topic or regularly looking into a given forum might have no idea what cool stuff is actually available in there. would there be value in having something like "the most active thread" or "the most viewed thread" or some other thing that displays on the forums main page for each sub-forum, so that people can get a sense of what's happening in each area at a glance?

2. maybe the ability for mods / users to collaboratively select the top three threads they want to represent "their" forum and having those pinned to the forums main page? i just feel like there's all kinds of amazing content but everything is so decentralized, and if you don't actually go digging for a specific thing (or even know if the specific thing is available in the first place) you can miss out on a lot of cool poo poo. i also feel like it'd maybe make the forums feel less insular if people were able to quickly see what was happening / popular in a given forum, and they might poke their nose in when they otherwise wouldn't have.

3. also, is there any chance that we can see which users are mods on which sub-sub-forums? like you can see the mods list for each main sub-forum (say Games) but if you go into the sub-sub-forums (like MMOHMO or Let's Play) there doesn't appear to be any obvious list of the current mods. if you're new to a forum or don't follow a given forum like a hawk, it can be difficult to know which users are actually the current mods for a given sub-sub-forum. i feel like this was something SA used to do (maybe early 2000s?) and it disappeared at some point.

edit:

4. i don't know what kind of pubnub nightmare it'd involve, but it'd be cool if the forums would update in near-realtime when people make posts. have the main thread list for a forum move around as people make posts without having to refresh. make new posts display in a thread as they're made without having to refresh. maybe make the reply field some kind of pop-out modal that overlays the thread you're current in, so that the thread can continue to update in realtime and you can compose your reply and it doesn't get all wonky with loading a different page?

This was my first thought, after the search issues. There are a ton of good megathreads all over the place - I find a new incredible megathread every few months, it seems, and they're typically old by then.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Either way I think it's a good idea. As an admin I'd love to be able to just click "see 25 latest threads" or w/e.

I can definitely see that being both useful and interesting, either per-forum or globally.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh and it would be so amazing to get a new, sorted or sortable smiley page! :peanut:

Depending on how things work under the hood it might be more trouble than it’s worth but autocomplete for smilies would be helpful. Sometimes I only sort of remember what one is called, or think I know but I’m wrong (and could see that faster if it didn’t complete when I started typing the wrong thing). Not high priority, but would be nice.

So far the new things I’ve seen that I’d want most are better timg behavior and a twitter embed toggle setting.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

this would be nice. every other dead forum I visit has this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean like just in GBS. But something like that would also be good, maybe with just the most popular threads.