Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

new post indicator

when you're in a thread having a script that every 15 or so seconds polls for the number of new posts since the timestamp when you loaded the page and display a little floating icon in the corner, you can even update the favicon to show there's a reply

no more hammering F5 while waiting for a reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

get rid of all of this

haha AOL doesn't even exist anymore

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'd like some Discord integration, but I'll settle on the forum remaining up and running. Maybe some new animal pictures since most if not all the ones currently next to whatever wacky advertisement for the 2nd amendment or whatever are likely dead.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's an impossible pipe-dream but I really really want an SA-based image hosting site. I miss Waffleimages, and places like Imgur are gradually becoming shittier for using with message boards.

As for something more feasible, how about some kind of button panel for 1-click emoticons?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lowtax posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to do somet backend stuff (unsuccessfully), so instead I'll divert from my unseen litany of failures to my much more visible litany of failures. What features, abilities, skill trees, or design changes would you like to see? Like what's the most important poo poo you guys need? For the record, I'm never doing +1s or thumbs ups or whatever circlejerk poo poo goes on to fuel the morons in social media. And please let me know the reason why you would like to see this change.

It would be nice to see what posts have quoted a post, ideally with links to those later replies. It would make following a conversation in a very busy thread easier, and cut down on redundant replies.

It would also be nice to be able to quote a post in a locked/archived/mined/gassed thread, to copy/paste into a post in a different thread. It would make sharing funny old posts easier.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I'd also love a better, more usable smiley page and improved search, to whatever degree those things are feasible.

I also like the idea of seeing the newest threads across the forum in a little box or whatever that you can open or collapse.

Something I'd really love: The ability to immediately see all my posts in a thread. I know I can already do that if I post and then click on the ? at my post. The problem is, sometimes a thread is closed or I have nothing of value to say but I still want to look up if someone responded to a question I had a while back, or if I posted a particular story in a share thread already. Would be handy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
also, from QCS

the yeti posted:

I may be the last person to notice these but the forum search didn't actually return any results :shrug:

Whatever tracking implications the share buttons might have, they look bad and that functionality doesn't seem like it's too useful for a site behind a paywall. Is it something Cloudflare "value-added" without asking or what?

uBlock filter:
code:
forums.somethingawful.com##.a2a_button_twitter
forums.somethingawful.com##.a2a_button_facebook
forums.somethingawful.com##.a2a_dd

this seems like useless garbage nobody wants or uses, especially when the forum is paywalled

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ritznit posted:

I'd also love a better, more usable smiley page and improved search, to whatever degree those things are feasible.

I also like the idea of seeing the newest threads across the forum in a little box or whatever that you can open or collapse.

Something I'd really love: The ability to immediately see all my posts in a thread. I know I can already do that if I post and then click on the ? at my post. The problem is, sometimes a thread is closed or I have nothing of value to say but I still want to look up if someone responded to a question I had a while back, or if I posted a particular story in a share thread already. Would be handy.

That reminds me of a bug I've noticed. Sometimes when I click a post history button (mine or someone else's) to find something the post history is a couple weeks behind.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'd give you ten bucks for the ability to toggle a night mode on a browser. The colors you currently use are great, and aren't eye searingly white, yet still look clean. Which is nice. But I also want dark colors, I'm willing to give you a few bucks for that, and it seems like it could be pretty easy to set up. But I honestly don't know if that would be a huge dumb programming hassle or whatever.
I hope your shattered spine is coalescing into a nonpainful functional shape because your lovely website has helped me over the years more than you'll ever know. Thanks

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

deadeyez posted:

I'd give you ten bucks for the ability to toggle a night mode on a browser. The colors you currently use are great, and aren't eye searingly white, yet still look clean. Which is nice. But I also want dark colors, I'm willing to give you a few bucks for that, and it seems like it could be pretty easy to set up. But I honestly don't know if that would be a huge dumb programming hassle or whatever.
I hope your shattered spine is coalescing into a nonpainful functional shape because your lovely website has helped me over the years more than you'll ever know. Thanks

I second his request for a dark mode.

Now here's my request: Boobs. Lots and lots of boobs.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It'd be nice if you could edit parts of a thread you're OP of without a mod's involvement, like thread title, icon/tag and polls.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

It's an impossible pipe-dream but I really really want an SA-based image hosting site. I miss Waffleimages, and places like Imgur are gradually becoming shittier for using with message boards.

i always assumed that hosting images here would drive up server costs. is that why no one attaches things?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

this sounds dumb, but i want a way to unban people who were banned without pm'ing an admin a gift cert or without knowing the recipients email

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

this sounds dumb, but i want a way to unban people who were banned without pm'ing an admin a gift cert or without knowing the recipients email

Oh yeah, I'd use this.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

ChickenHeart posted:

As for something more feasible, how about some kind of button panel for 1-click emoticons?

Oh, I like the sound of that second one, 1-click emoticons. I second this suggestion.

Like a "Recently Used Smilies" list, maybe. If it remembers, say, the last 10 smilies a user has used. Then if you use :iiam: occasionally you don't have to remember if it's "itisamystery", "mystery", wait gently caress what is it, oh yeah "iiam", or otherwise have to go look through the gigantic list of all the smilies.

Discord, for example, remembers a few smilies you've previously used, so you can easily use them again. Not sure if it's particularly feasible within the SA forums architecture though.

As for other forum improvements, I think the Hunter skill tree needs to be revamped and all skill points refunded, with increased utility for hunter pets. And nerf shamans.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This would also be good, we've needed a box on the unban purchase page where you can put in another user's name for a while.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I'd like comment-based threading within threads. It would make derails harmless and allow everyone to pick what they want to read about in a thread.

Right now, when three subjects A, B and C are covered in the same thread, the posts read like this:

A
A
A
B
A
B
B
C
B
A
C
B

With the inevitable calls to end derail subject B.

What I'm thinking of:
code:
A
 A
  A
B
 B
  B
C
 C
  C
With a way to collapse and expand the subjects. This could be done automatically by the site or any clients.

Unban Keep It Real

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 23, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
a 3rd option on the embedded video preference. right now it is just URL link | embedded player
sometimes you load a page that has a hundred youtube vids (many of them redundant ones in quotes) and it can bog down a web browser

there should be an in-between option where you can click the thumbnail of the video and that turns into a player and automatically starts playing (still fast and responsive, but not wasteful)

im doing something like this right now by not using SAs built-in embedding and instead using Tampermonkey scripts Youtube Link Title and my own custom one I scrapped together:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         SA YT Links Thumbs
// @namespace    [url]http://tampermonkey.net/[/url]
// @version      0.1
// @description  Uses YT links to show thumbnails
// @author       me
// @match        [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

var vidList = document.getElementsByClassName('bbtag_video');

for (var i = 0; i < vidList.length; i++) {
        var p = /^.*youtube\.com\/watch\?v=([a-zA-Z0-9_-]{11}).*$/;
        var vidId = (vidList[i].innerHTML.match(p));
        if (vidId[1] == false) continue;
        var image = document.createElement('img');
        image.setAttribute('src', 'http://img.youtube.com/vi/' + vidId[1] + '/hqdefault.jpg');
        vidList[i].innerHTML = '';
        vidList[i].appendChild(image);
    }
})();
also one time an admin or some other higher-up embedded smooth jazz in a thread and made a sophisticated party thread. do that or enable that to happen again, please.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CPL593H posted:

That reminds me of a bug I've noticed. Sometimes when I click a post history button (mine or someone else's) to find something the post history is a couple weeks behind.

Unfortunately the search indexer is troublesome.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It would be nice to track last post read by individual post and not by page. Like, if there's a full page of posts, and I only read the first 5 before clicking away, it would be cool to track that instead of assuming I read that whole page.

But obviously that isn't a big deal if it's a hassle or we still have to care about servers and stuff.

Also, threaded comments suck and would kill the forums imo. A big part of the point is we're all in the same conversation. Also, we don't have to click to expand a million trees and then not know which comments are new / have to reread all the already-read trees for context. Reddit fills that niche fine

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

screamin and creamin posted:

I'd like comment-based threading within threads.
we are enemies

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Anne Whateley posted:

It would be nice to track last post read by individual post and not by page. Like, if there's a full page of posts, and I only read the first 5 before clicking away, it would be cool to track that instead of assuming I read that whole page.

You can do that already by clicking the little rectangle in the bottom left of the post. You may have to enable the option in the User CP.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I do that, but it could also be done automatically, which would be good in situations like browser crashes in addition to my sheer laziness

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
sort threads according to their most recent post AND their rating
every "5" vote adds 5 minutes to how "recent" the last post was. every 1 vote does the opposite. so voting will feel like it has an effect, people can "bump" a thread just a little without 0-content posting, good threads can hold longer and without having to be selected and pinned by mods. 12 people can have a thread an hour higher than it would normally be

more goldmining of threads that arent just image-based. "ITT Fallout: Seinfeld" was 10 times better than most photoshop threads

make it so i can buy someone else an account downgrade where when they are probated they dont find out and the timer doesnt start until their next attempt to post. i just havent thought of a name for this feature

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you should be able to have a gift certificate tied to a dollar amount instead of to a specific feature

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Fray posted:

A better smilie page would be nice. There’s an awful lot now and finding a particular one can take a while if you don’t know the exact name.

And tuning up Search so that an admin doesn’t have to manually re-index it periodically.

The quick reply smilie button is virtually useless because it shows 5 smilies at a time out of the 1000 or so the site has, it would be better just to have it open the main smilie page or something.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
forum id #1 is the true gbs. all its threads are old enough that theyre all archived anyway

reactivate gbs classic™ (with real sugar)

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Definitely move the vote buttons to a place where my gargantuan gently caress all fingers don't hit them when trying to go back to a previous forum

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Definitely move the vote buttons to a place where my gargantuan gently caress all fingers don't hit them when trying to go back to a previous forum
[someone incidentally reveals that they dont open links in new tabs in 2019 and i just dont even know where to look]

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
and i want an @somethingawful.com email address!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

New Membership Drives

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'd like a 'New post by OP' indicator button on bookmarks page for Threads with lots of derails.

Option to hide the buddy list.

Instead of permabans for worthless users, use word filters to turn their posts to abstract poetry.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Make more keyboard short cuts for inserting bbcode tags.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
somehow fix the smiley page. its impossible to find anything there.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

honda whisperer posted:

I want people on my ignore list to also have their posts that are quoted ignored.

Having pcosbills original poo poo post ignored only to have wade through quote after quote of his garbage sucked. Yes I know he's banned. Still sucked.

Methanar posted:

nthing these two. If I can choose only one then the first one.

I'd like comment-based threading within threads. It would make derails harmless and allow everyone to pick what they want to read about in a thread.

Right now, when three subjects A, B and C are covered in the same thread, the posts read like this:

A
A
A
B
A
B
B
C
B
A
C
B

What I'm thinking of:
code:
A
 A
  A
B
 B
  B
C
 C
  C
With a way to collapse and expand the subjects. This could be done automatically by the site or any clients.

So make it reddit? No way, that system sucks and this proposal sucks.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Weatherman posted:

nthing these two. If I can choose only one then the first one.

So make it reddit? No way, that system sucks and this proposal sucks.

Yeah, that’ll make it exactly like reddit, you’re great at figuring things out. Guess we better not suggest anything.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Easy way to do text with embedded links, standard in other forums now and I’m amazed that this place still doesn’t have the feature.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

A
A
A
B
A
B
B
C
B
A
C
B

What I'm thinking of:
code:
A
 A
  A
B
 B
  B
C
 C
  C

Unban Keep It Real

I've never liked that style of message board, it's too busy and doesn't really contain de-rails, it just created weird little sub-threads of a few assholes assholing at each other.

E: Search indexing would be great and maybe a button to easily share stuff to facebook/Twitter/Whatever people are using now.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 23, 2019

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Methanar posted:

*monkey paw curls, all smilies but :v: are gone*

Lowtax posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to do somet backend stuff (unsuccessfully), so instead I'll divert from my unseen litany of failures to my much more visible litany of failures. What features, abilities, skill trees, or design changes would you like to see? Like what's the most important poo poo you guys need? For the record, I'm never doing +1s or thumbs ups or whatever circlejerk poo poo goes on to fuel the morons in social media. And please let me know the reason why you would like to see this change.

And please do not poo poo up this thread with garbage. I absolutely will ban you if you're just shitposting.

Thank you and have a pleasant Something Awful experience on this dead, gay, "comedy" forum website dot com

In my uninteresting opinion, I'd like to see things that are already there improved or streamlined. Goons hate change anyway.
While I have no problem with search myself (probably due to low usage), there are lot of posts complaining about the index not updating, or slowly or whatever. It could also be more comfortable to use. Instead of username:"Lowtax" there could be an input field I can write Lowtax into. Or something.
Private messages do work but could be more convenient to use. Why is there no preview functions for PMs like with posts? Why do I have to know the exact username of the terrible poster who I want to bless with my unsolicited opinion? Why can I create folders? Is there still a limit on how many pms I can have? Can the "you have a PM" email also include the pm text?
Why does the forum selector at the bottom have hidden forums in there sometimes? Why is the page selector generated via the forums php and not via javascript? There are threads with like 5000 pages, and an <option> tag for each of them transmitted. Why are some forum functions delivered via php (pm user button) and some injected via javascript after load (user rap sheet button). Why can I click the thread tags in the user cp and they lead me to an invalid page?
Maybe add some more filetypes, people use things like webp now for some reason.
And also the mobile view that works except when it doesn't. Though to be fair it's been a while since I last tried it.

Other than that I'm with the "ignoring should filter quotes of this person", "let me easily search and insert emoticons" and "let me place attachments within my post" goons.

Maybe once the patreon has fully covered your spine bills and then some more, you could pay someone to extract all the sensitive information from the forum code and then herd a flock of volunteer goons to improve the existing forum code. You managed to find some mods and admins you apparently trust enough with the forums, I'm sure you could find some people in the computer toucher subforums that you could trust with the code. Actually open-sourcing the code sound like madness though.

/edit

Original_Z posted:

Easy way to do text with embedded links, standard in other forums now and I’m amazed that this place still doesn’t have the feature.

what are you talking about?

Sereri fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'd like to see those disable/enable images/tweets/youtube videos settings made more accessible, maybe at the top or bottom of the page when you're reading a thread. I read the forums on computers of really varied quality but it's enough of a pain to change those settings per pc that i just leave them one way, even when browsing tweet/video heavy threads on my good computer.

e: also maybe a "Donate $1k to perma someone of your choice" option would be cool if i had more money

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 23, 2019