Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Wow, I've gotten some pretty wild OOBs --- I wonder if I am using the division editor wrong?
Stuff like:
Flag: CLs
... Supported by CVL (Reasonable enough)
... Supported by BCs (why are they not the flag!?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m bouncing off of 3 the same way I did from 2. Every time I go to war, it doesn’t matter where I put my fleet, in what concentration. The enemy WILL start the combat phase with three times as many battleships and cruisers as I do, and will stomp the everliving gently caress out of me.

I just can’t seem to establish tactical superiority, even against a strategically inferior opponent.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I find building only CA and BC helps with getting favorable force ratio in more mission type. Up until I get forced to build CL, then I get a bunch of CL up against the enemy CA :(

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

MrYenko posted:

I’m bouncing off of 3 the same way I did from 2. Every time I go to war, it doesn’t matter where I put my fleet, in what concentration. The enemy WILL start the combat phase with three times as many battleships and cruisers as I do, and will stomp the everliving gently caress out of me.

I just can’t seem to establish tactical superiority, even against a strategically inferior opponent.

Are you choosing Great Briton or even better, the US to start? Having many more ships/budget definitely helps.

For GB, you do have to worry about the number of ships on foreign stations, which is what old cruisers are good for (up to 6kt). Don't try to spread out forces to cover the bases, just keep your battle fleet as whole as possible and put the dregs on foreign support as much as possible. (I don't even move ships around manually, I just put the required tonnage on foreign station). Between, ruthlessly putting ships on reserve / mothballs to free up cash for shipbuilding is important. Trying to pick when to bring equipment back up to readiness is a key part.

Then otherwise the early battles are trying to bite off/isolate enough capital ships to decisively defeat/sink (might only be one) while preserving your own force and retreating behind a screen of destroyers when you need to.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a way to make land based air useful. The ai seems very poo poo at concentrating forces

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Would anybody be interested in playing a Succession LP of RTW3? Each player would have 5/10/however long makes sense years of unquestioned authority on naval policy unless they lost a war or retired early.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You've got at least 2 players, and it is probably going to take at least a week for each term, so maybe just go ahead and make the thread?

Especially if you have to spend a while picking a nation and ruleset (as I said, I think varied tech would be a hard must, but there's some other stuff that would need worked out). That would probably be the best way to generate interest.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I would suggest keeping it in this thread, as it is rather dead anyway. Would also be interesting following the progression without having to pay attention to another thread. Could even drum up more interest for the game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they need to make a button to disable main force once carrier force is invented. my carriers need more screens!!!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
every time I play this game I lmao at all of the Western countries having a bunch of different possible government types and Japan and China both just being 'Eastern'.

also China having the 'Eastern' government type in every start date, it doesn't matter if it's the Qing Dynasty, the warlord-era state that barely even existed, or the post-Northern Expedition ROC, it's all Eastern.

it really says a lot about how the guys who made it view the world.

Anyway, playing as Qing China is fun and it is very satisfying to take your tiny trash fleet and use careful tactics and clever maneuvering to annoy the Japanese to a draw. The 1890s ironclad fights are extremely high stakes for you, because you have a tiny fleet and a very tight budget that sharply limits what you can have building at any time, but also relatively low-risk because everything is slow and no one can hit poo poo, resulting in lots of long indecisive battles in which nothing sinks and the battle ends because both sides run out of ammo or it gets dark.

My main advantage so far is that the Japanese AI likes to build 'battleships' that are 3500 tons and armed and armored like light cruisers, then use them like battleships, allowing my much smaller fleet of actual battleships to engage them on an even footing despite being badly outclassed in overall tonnage on paper.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It's not battleship they can or like to build. Those are suppose to represent legacy primitive Japanese ironclad that they had. They are useless with literally unarmored guns that'll flash fire and destroy the whole ship under any kind of fire.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A fun bit of stereotyping in RTW3 is that you don't get a prestige hit if you keep an admiral that leaves his wife for an actress if you are French or Italian....

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

OddObserver posted:

A fun bit of stereotyping in RTW3 is that you don't get a prestige hit if you keep an admiral that leaves his wife for an actress if you are French or Italian....

I say this while French: it tracks perfectly for the French at least.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Italian is the language of lovers, French is the language of the polyamorous.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Hard hitting Oppo in France is finding out neither of you are cheating.

What kind of pervert only fucks their spouse?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

So after taking a while to buy and download the game and being too busy with work to let myself get absorbed completely... it takes a while to chew through a game. I am really enjoying the missile additions and the wars between other nations amongst themselves.

On the flip side, I was hoping for a few more QoL improvements. A lot of clicking for the air component. I can't seem to find the place to turn off pause on missile strike. The flotilla attack button is still hidden (behind pressing pause and right clicking through the order of battle screen). Would be nice to be able to mothball air units (not just reserve) to maintain the order of battle but scrap all aircraft until un-mothballed).

Still really getting a lot of use out of battlecruisers into the late game. One 4 x 16 inch turret (with plenty of ammo), 30 knots speed and as much anti-air and missile protection as technology and room allows - kept to between 25 to 30 kt so that I can buy more of them. Use case is to suck down missiles (because my destroyers are given 30 knot speeds as well, they fall slightly behind on rushing the BC to engage and so a lot of missiles target the beefcake rather than the squishy destroyers) and to chase down things and actually sink them with 16" rifle fire. They also upgrade with SAMs easily compared to light cruisers that you might have around when SAM becomes available.

So yeah, TL DR, enjoying the game but it takes a looong time to play through a game from start to finish,

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah I'm 65 hours in and still on my first 1900 campaign (in the 60ies now).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I started a campaign from 1890 in the spirit of seeing the new content, had my first battle, and am now contemplating restarting in 1900

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Converting 1890 Bs into (bad) cruisers is hilarious, though. Waste of money, but hilarious.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fun possible bug is messing up my Japan game.

Late 1940s, in a war with Germany with my ally the US. I've long since controlled all of North Asia but they've still got the Bismark Archipelago in Southern Asia. They aren't sending any ships to either zone for me to blow up (probably because they're also in a war with England and France) so I figure why not send a big force and do a naval invasion?

So I send a large task force to Southern Asia and now the game keeps failing to generate battles (mostly coastal bombardment) and penalizing me with "Unable to muster force, Germany gains 500 VP" every single turn. I've got an overwhelming superiority of forces, plenty of bases between my own in the region and all of the American bases, but the game just can't seem to figure out a battle and just decides I'm going to lose the war VP every turn despite Germany being the one with no ships in the region.

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't realize the Bismark Archipelago was in the South Pacific and mistook the line indicating South Pacific->South Asia transit point to be pointing to its location.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 13, 2023

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The tagline says "Ironclads to missile cruisers" and it doesn't really deliver on the first part. Where's my agonizing decision of masts vs. no masts? Where's the firepower revolution converting from muzzle-loaders to breechloaders? 1860 campaign now!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Madurai posted:

The tagline says "Ironclads to missile cruisers" and it doesn't really deliver on the first part. Where's my agonizing decision of masts vs. no masts? Where's the firepower revolution converting from muzzle-loaders to breechloaders? 1860 campaign now!

It's funny because while that would probably require a decent amount of work to fit things like central battery broadside ironclads into the game engine, I can't think of many more things other than VLS that they'd need to add to have the game be workable through like, the 1980s.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm surprised nuclear propulsion isn't in the game considering it fits in the timeframe.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm surprised nuclear propulsion isn't in the game considering it fits in the timeframe.

This will be the sole new feature of note in RTW4.

RTW5 will be a reboot about Classical Age naval combat. How many oars makes the ideal trireme?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Dreamsicle posted:

The devs ruled it out because they didn't want to deal with the ramifications of nuclear powered ships routinely taking damage.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

bgreman posted:

This will be the sole new feature of note in RTW4.

RTW5 will be a reboot about Classical Age naval combat. How many oars makes the ideal trireme?

Research better rowing songs, budget for tastier gruel for your sailors. Decide on your boarding party weapon doctrine! Invent the math needed to make more accurate charts!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

Nuclear physics is different in rule the waves verse. Nuclear weapons don't exist either

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Well, I've always liked the way one Cold War strategy game addressed that. "Strategic nuclear warfare can be simulated by dousing the entire board in lighter fuel and striking a match on it."

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think they did say to remove it to your driveway first.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Redeye Flight posted:

Well, I've always liked the way one Cold War strategy game addressed that. "Strategic nuclear warfare can be simulated by dousing the entire board in lighter fuel and striking a match on it."

Douse board in fuel, give every player a lighter.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anyways ive consulted with experts and verified it in my last playthrough: medium sams are worthless compared to the other two types.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
What's wrong with medium SAMs?

Also, does anyone know what the significance of the aircraft stats are? As in, does it matter whether I prioritize firepower over toughness or whatnot? I know speed, firepower, toughness and maneuverability all go into air to air combat, but how is that actually crunched? Is there some thing going on where maneuverability allows you to potentially dodge attacks or strike first and toughness soaks against firepower or what have you, or does it all get added into a big number soup that where bigger number = better than?

Also also, is it just me or do certain aircraft stats basically stop mattering after a certain point? Bomb loads stop mattering when you field all missiles all day and every plane gets one, for instance, and range eventually gets to the point where any heavily loaded plane is capable of engaging at any realistic distance the battle generator gives you.

Also also also, does anyone know what tech variation actually DOES? Tweak the specific numbers on various stats, make research harder or easier to do, etc? Has anyone noticed it having a significant effect before?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tomn posted:

What's wrong with medium SAMs?

cost-performance. jack of all trade syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

cost-performance. jack of all trade syndrome.

One thing about light SAMs, the radius of fire on them is shown as not full 360 degree coverage on the little schematic chart - is this actually true for in game handling of light SAMS? Can you just slap them on the back of the boat and still get coverage from missiles coming from the front?

I use Medium SAMs because I can fit them on destroyers and light cruisers way easier than heavy SAM and still give coverage to surrounding ships/additional anti ship missiles which light SAMs don't (from what I understand).

Also, what is the practical difference between SSG and SSL submarines?

E) and also for minesweepers (MS), is the minesweeping capability of the ship a flat addition as long as it has a minesweep, or is it half the anti-submarine score? I build super cheap dedicated minesweepers (200 t KEs) with no additional anti-sub capability but while checking minesweep on a destroyer halves its anti-sub capability, I don't know what happens to the MS score.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 1, 2024