Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

dylguy90 posted:

0 deck armor?

Is this supposed to be one of those find-everything-wrong pictures?

This is why I usually pick the tonnage, autogen, then modify. Lots of little stuff.

It's AON scheme though so you don't use any DE or BE

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I was too overzealous with scrapping the lovely obselote ships in the 1920 start as uk and now france is blockading me.

quote:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the 1.04 update:
Aircraft with ground attack orders will return if the target is already destroyed.
Range circles for enemy air will now only show land bases.
Removed duplicate tech for twin DP mounts.
Some further tweaks of armour weight for large ships.
Reduced turret weight for heavy guns (17 in +)
Fixed strange declarations of war after other nations blitzkrieg occupations.
Fixed a bug with research above level 20 sometimes being stopped.
Fixed some battle missions (bombardment targets, start positions etc).
Fixed a bug with starting gun calibres in 1920.
Spain is now included as a playable nation in 1900.
Raised the chance of an invasion occurring.

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 14, 2019

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

TehKeen posted:

It's AON scheme though so you don't use any DE or BE

Ah right, I never messed with that. How do those end up faring in the late game?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I hope they remove the land bombardment missions that only give you a light cruiser with not enough ammo to destroy the target.

My only good land bombardment mission was the one where I had 3 fleet carriers, sent a bunch of dive bombers and torpedo bombers with heavy bomb load to destroy it. Took seconds.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wow I finally got a battle where I started 100+ miles away from the objective so maybe my carriers will finally be used as intended.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man carrier battles are way more stressful than gun battles.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I guess in 1900 it's important to defend battleships against low-flying airships.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Am I missing something with dual purpose guns? it says I have everything researched but the little check box is still always greyed out

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

bewbies posted:

Am I missing something with dual purpose guns? it says I have everything researched but the little check box is still always greyed out

What size gun are you using? You research DP guns by size, not all at once. They also have to be single turrets at first.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It says I have dual purpose dual mount 3 and 4 in guns available

Are those actually single turrets?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bewbies posted:

It says I have dual purpose dual mount 3 and 4 in guns available

Are those actually single turrets?

Doubles need to be researched separately, yeah.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So "dual mount" is something different I guess?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bewbies posted:

So "dual mount" is something different I guess?

Uh, don't think so, I just missed you saying that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tl/n twin mounts means two guns on one turret hth

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dual mount means two guns, dual purpose means AA/AS.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I appreciate the precision and competence of my pilots, but I feel like they could have gone after a different target after say the first...15 or so torpedoes.

Seriously though what would a ship even look like after 34 torpedo hits

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Even Musashi only took 19, at some point you must start running out of bits to hit with torpedoes.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

bewbies posted:

I appreciate the precision and competence of my pilots, but I feel like they could have gone after a different target after say the first...15 or so torpedoes.

Seriously though what would a ship even look like after 34 torpedo hits

Yeah that’s honestly one of the things I dislike most about this game, the seemingly unending need to waste torpedoes on obviously sinking or destroyed ships. What destroyer captain would spend valuable time and torpedoes in the middle of a fleet battle to finish off an old useless pre-dreadnought while the main battle-line is still floating? A cowardly captain, perhaps, but that’s not someone I want in my fleet!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys have to remember that battles are loud and smokey and confusing. The people involved aren't watching from a screen while sitting on their couch with a nice beverage.

Doubly so for naval air crews who, without any sort of size reference on the ocean, are lucky if they can tell the difference between a corvette and a battlecruiser.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 16, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Early destroyers seem extremely worthless. I think in five years I've seen five torpedo launches and two hits. Am I missing something with them? I even gave them special torpedo training.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Is there a way to actually order a torpedo attack? I've sent my destroyers in to torpedo attack the enemy line a few times and they never fire any, and then sink. I am slowing them down to do it, but I'm not sure how slow I need to go.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If you click flotilla attack they'll go off on as a group at their own speed and try to do a torpedo attack. They won't always be successful, and tend to not fire unless they can get a good shot which sometimes leaves them doing this weird dance in and out of enemy formations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gort posted:

Early destroyers seem extremely worthless. I think in five years I've seen five torpedo launches and two hits. Am I missing something with them? I even gave them special torpedo training.

Early torpedoes just have very short ranges. They do ok in knife fights and night fights. Early naval gunnery is so bad that it's often down to battleships launching torpedoes at each other to get a kill, and in that regime destroyers do just fine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Splode posted:

Is there a way to actually order a torpedo attack? I've sent my destroyers in to torpedo attack the enemy line a few times and they never fire any, and then sink. I am slowing them down to do it, but I'm not sure how slow I need to go.

I wish I could say there was a trick to this but with early destroyers it’s hard to guarantee anything. Later in the game when you have destroyers with six or more tubes firing to each side and longer-ranged torpedoes, it gets much better.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

one day someone will mod the legacy fleet builder into the 1920 start and there will be no reason to play the 1900 start

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

They basically have to be used against stationary targets at close range. They're great for finishing off ships that you've brought to a halt with gunfire but that you'll never sink with lovely early game guns, just slow your formation down and go very nearby the enemy ship.

Also early in the game they're great in chaotic night battles.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh well, at least there's not a secret, "Never loving shoot, ever" button ticked somewhere

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Gort posted:

Splode posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that torpedoes travel at a set rate regardless of the direction of the target or the ship that fired it. So, for example, you might look and see the torpedo range circle showing the enemy is clearly in range, but if your torpedoes move at 25 knots and the enemy ship is moving away at 20 knots (and the AI is almost always smart enough to sail away from destroyers in torpedo range) then the torpedo range is only a fifth of what the circle shows. Even ships moving laterally will greatly reduce the range and accuracy of torpedoes, and early game torpedoes are often only barely faster than capital ships, if that.

This is one reason ships tend to go crazy and unload torpedoes at sinking ships. The AI will look at ships spinning in circles around each other and go "nope, torpedoes wouldn't hit" and then as soon as a damaged ship's speed drops to 5 knots it's "torpedo target in range! fire fire fire!" If you want to torpedo an undamaged, moving ship you basically need to be extremely close and slightly in front of while sailing parallel to it.

It's also why sneak attacks can be so deadly, since the ambushed ships start at anchor and the AI will happily hurl every torpedo it has at them.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 17, 2019

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gort posted:

Oh well, at least there's not a secret, "Never loving shoot, ever" button ticked somewhere

There is a button to disable torpedoes, but it's not checked by default and you can only check it for ships you're directly controlling.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you want to hit with torpedoes, because of the range issues mentioned above, the launching ship needs to be leading the target. The target zone for torpedoes is really trailing the aft quarter of the launching ship. There's a dead zone directly behind a ship where you can't hit with torpedoes but following a ship is how you will usually get torpedoed. In the early game you need to be close and ahead of a target. Sometimes you can make it happen by getting very close indeed in line of battle, like less than 3000 yards. But usually the AI will break off.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 17, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What do people build for a 1900 legacy fleet? I've been building as many multiples of 10 destroyers, 2 6000-ton light cruisers and 1 four-gun battleship as I can afford, but I've been feeling the lack of armoured cruisers so might switch out some of the destroyers and one of the light cruisers for that.

This is for Austria, so no need for colonial ships.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Usually some sort of faster than average armored cruiser with decent guns. They can hunt early protected cruisers and run away from other Armored cruisers if they need to. They also usually end up being upgradable to near 28-30 knots so can stay useful on foreign stations for quite a while.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Ahh, thanks for the tips guys!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've actually stopped building pre dreadnoughts altogether...I build a couple of very expensive/heavy/fast heavy cruisers, expensive light cruisers for local work, and cheap light cruisers for foreign station. My first war I'm always blockaded, but using the cruiser mix as raiders is very effective.

This probably wouldn't work for the UK/France as you're more susceptible to invasions and whatnot but it is great for everyone else.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Gort posted:

What do people build for a 1900 legacy fleet? I've been building as many multiples of 10 destroyers, 2 6000-ton light cruisers and 1 four-gun battleship as I can afford, but I've been feeling the lack of armoured cruisers so might switch out some of the destroyers and one of the light cruisers for that.

This is for Austria, so no need for colonial ships.

I think this is way too many destroyers. As you've noticed, they're not that effective early game. Their main purpose is to finish off crippled ships and make it harder for the AI to do the same to you. Four per battleship is plenty for this, and for an Austria run I might well start with only ten destroyers total on very large.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I needed 14 ships for trade protection as Austria in 1902 - what do people use for those, and do their capabilities matter? I recall in RtW1 you just made the cheapest ships possible.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you can build low tonnage corvettes (400-500 ton kes) in the early game that'll only take 4 months to build.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I think they have to be over 600 tons, or they will be scrapped once you get peace. Might be 600 tons and up. Make more then you need for trade protection, as they will be killed off by subs and in battles where they roam around under AI control.

I think corvettes get a bonus if you add minesweeping gear to them as well.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

you can build low tonnage corvettes (400-500 ton kes) in the early game that'll only take 4 months to build.

I tried doing this and got told I could only build impressed fishing vessels while at war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Gort posted:

I tried doing this and got told I could only build impressed fishing vessels while at war.

What Dunno-Lars said, if you build them 600 tons or greater they don't have that restriction nor do they get scrapped.