Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
You don't need a paypal account to buy the game, either, for what it's worth. They use Paypal to process payments but once you get to that step you can just pay with a credit or debit card.

Got my code already, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

If you wanted to live forever you shouldn't have been assigned to a destroyer.

Dude, I appreciate the fighting spirit but I'm not sure you grasp how torpedoes work.

Worth it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

How did you do this? The only option I see is Paypal checkout, which requires me to log in to a Paypal account that I don't have.

It's not an obvious option, I admit:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

lol I may be stupid but I'm not that big an idiot. This is what it shows me.

Funnily enough though, continuing the counterintuitive purchase process, clicking "create an account" let me pay without creating an account.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I actually did think the button to pay without an account was inconspicuous.

Weird that your page looks different, I just went and took that screenshot today after seeing your post.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

Am I missing something with dual purpose guns? it says I have everything researched but the little check box is still always greyed out

What size gun are you using? You research DP guns by size, not all at once. They also have to be single turrets at first.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gort posted:

Early destroyers seem extremely worthless. I think in five years I've seen five torpedo launches and two hits. Am I missing something with them? I even gave them special torpedo training.

Splode posted:

Is there a way to actually order a torpedo attack? I've sent my destroyers in to torpedo attack the enemy line a few times and they never fire any, and then sink. I am slowing them down to do it, but I'm not sure how slow I need to go.

One thing to keep in mind is that torpedoes travel at a set rate regardless of the direction of the target or the ship that fired it. So, for example, you might look and see the torpedo range circle showing the enemy is clearly in range, but if your torpedoes move at 25 knots and the enemy ship is moving away at 20 knots (and the AI is almost always smart enough to sail away from destroyers in torpedo range) then the torpedo range is only a fifth of what the circle shows. Even ships moving laterally will greatly reduce the range and accuracy of torpedoes, and early game torpedoes are often only barely faster than capital ships, if that.

This is one reason ships tend to go crazy and unload torpedoes at sinking ships. The AI will look at ships spinning in circles around each other and go "nope, torpedoes wouldn't hit" and then as soon as a damaged ship's speed drops to 5 knots it's "torpedo target in range! fire fire fire!" If you want to torpedo an undamaged, moving ship you basically need to be extremely close and slightly in front of while sailing parallel to it.

It's also why sneak attacks can be so deadly, since the ambushed ships start at anchor and the AI will happily hurl every torpedo it has at them.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 17, 2019

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gort posted:

If we're going for the cheapest possible ship for trade protection (which I assume is optimal, nobody said anything when I asked if their capabilities matter) then a 600-ton corvette is an inferior choice to a 500-ton destroyer, though, isn't it?

One thing I find interesting is I've never seen destroyers spawn the "raider intercepted" mission, but whenever I send cruisers on trade protection I get a bunch of those and stop losing transports to raiders. Which is probably for the best since a single destroyer would get demolished going up against commerce raiders.

My working theory is that destroyers (and maybe corvettes? I haven't tried) will work for the minimum number of trade protection ships to avoid a penalty, and will kill subs (I assume they're what's causing enemy sub losses, anyways) but don't actually protect ships from raiders, while light cruisers+ do.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Cruisers do not need to be on TP to repel or intercept raiders. Even cruisers set to raid can intercept raiders, I think. I do think it's fair to characterize TP as a primarily ASW role.

In my current game I had a dozen cruisers in a region on active fleet, but was still losing 3-5 transports a month to raiders in that specific region. I set four of them on trade protection and instantly the next month I got messages that two raiders had been thwarted. Maybe raiders can intercept raiders, but I'm fairly certain active fleet can't.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s at least intended that cruisers on TP have a higher chance to intercept than cruisers on AF.

But as I noted, apparently destroyers can't do it at all, so there are advantages for using larger ships for TP (I have no idea about corvettes).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gay Hitler posted:

What techs do I need to actually make a dedicated carrier? Is it in ship design?

You eventually unlock a new tech field. IIRC it's something like "Naval Air Ops, Heavier than air"

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gay Hitler posted:

I think I keep getting messages saying I cant make further progress in that field without a dedicated carrier

IIRC, it's just you can't have it on high without a carrier?

There's a stretch where you can't build a purpose built carrier but need a carrier for high naval air research; the intent of the game is to get you to convert an existing ship to a carrier. I think it's confusing and should be eliminated, but it's what navies did historically so I guess that's why the developers try to force you to do it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gort posted:

What design principles do people follow when they're building their ships?

When building something cruiser-sized or bigger I tend to try and armour it against its own guns (which can mean basically no deck armour early-game) give it the best torpedo protection I know about, best fire control and as much AA as it can carry once aircraft are a factor.

But how do people decide things like speed, or the size, number and armour of secondary guns? I remember reading somewhere that secondaries of six inches or less can't blow up the entire ship, and that armour on secondaries of two inches represents a gun shield that will protect against splinters, so I tend to have tons of six-inch-gun, two-inch-armour secondaries on my biggest ships, but is any of that actually true or optimal?

When do people scrap ships? I initially did it the moment they started showing as obsolete, but you can just refit them to remove that. On the other hand, is it really worth keeping around a pre-dreadnought that goes 20 knots and has four crap guns on it?

Note: I have no idea if these are good ideas, this is just what I do. I'm not exactly a pro at this game.

I do the same with armor, when possible - sometimes it just seems completely unfeasible to armor a ship against its own guns and then I try to armor it against what I think the next tier down is likely to be. For AA, I usually prioritize the heavy AA - I forget the specifics but I think it was something like light AA can only shoot planes after they attack the ship, and heavy is the one that can defend other ships and shoot down planes before they attack.

I pick gun size based on quality I've researched - for battleship primaries this usually means I pick the smallest calibre with the highest sum of size + quality - IE 14 calibre 0 quality over 15 calibre -1 quality. It seems to me that a gun one size smaller with 1 better quality is about the same but smaller and cheaper. I extend this to secondaries and tertiaries - normally I'll end up with some size gun where quality means it's a better choice than the ones around it and stick with that. For speed I try to judge what enemy ships of the same class has and go for slightly faster, but also poke up and down a bit - for some reason there seem to be "ideal" speeds that are far more tonnage efficient than being slightly faster/slower. I just tick it up while watching the weight remaining change - so if it goes 500, 460, 420, 405, 270, then I pick what gave it 405 because that's a sort of island of efficiency.

Beyond that, I like to go for lean and mean - I pick the primary gun size I want, give it the minimum number to be practical, fill in the rest of the numbers and add a few secondaries, and then reduce the tonnage as much as possible, and lastly fill any remaining tonnage with extra guns/ammo/whatever - basically I end up with ships with a few capable guns and the minimum support systems instead of big battlewagons bristling with guns and backup FCs and what not. I'm not sure this is actually good - the battle generator meaning you often end up facing roughly equal numbers might make it backfire if their ships are bigger and more expensive - but the efficiency appeals to my inner perfectionist.

I usually scrap when I look at a design and realize it is utterly and completely outclassed by new construction. If a bunch of old ships will lose to one new one, there's not much point in keeping the old ones around.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 3, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

The only scenario where I’ll build a ship with quality -1 guns is where I’m betting I’ll research the quality 0 of the same caliber later, and I want to swap them out once that happens.

I'll build them if almost all my large guns are -1. Like if it's early game and I have, say:

11 inch: 0
12 inch: -1
13 inch: -1
14 inch: -1

Then yeah, my new battleship is getting 14 inch -1s, simply because I have no comparable better guns to use. But if I can get better quality with a bit smaller guns, I definitely go for that.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I just got this game and I noticed in an early war my cruisers keep taking splintering damage to machinery. Is that due to a lack of upper deck armor? I don't remember it happening too often in RtW2 but I don't recall upper deck armor being a thing there either.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So do you still have the dumb thing where only 6? or so nations (including the player) are active in any given game or can they finally do every faction at once?

Because yes it’s important for Japan to be active in my Mediterranean focused game as AH. :colbert:

Not every faction at once; looks like there's always 9 factions.

There's some sort of abstraction going on with absent factions since in my game (USA, so no China) everyone (except me) has been collecting Chinese holdings like they're party favors.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I went and built a bunch of 1k ton corvettes to handle foreign station duties but apparently they only count for 500 tons on foreign duties for some reason. That's annoying.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How many factions are there now? 9 is enough for all the ones that were in RtW1 short of modded nations,.

10 total; UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Russia, USA, Japan, and China. It looks like China gets dropped for most starts, only included in the 1890 starts for Japan and Spain. The Japanese start drops Austria-Hungary and the Spain start drops Russia.

The 1920 and 1935 starts don't have Austria-Hungary and always include all 9 factions.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Dreamsicle posted:

Speaking of Corvettes, is there a point to building them? I just spam a bunch of DD's.

They can be armored unlike destroyers, so in theory you could make a pretty effective anti-destroyer corvette. But I find it usually works better to just use more destroyers; also I'm not sure how it works with the battle generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I continue to have the same problem with RTW 3 that I did with 2... namely that I cruise along fine through the early game, making my battleships with armor designed to be immune to their own guns and such, then the number of options explode and I have no idea what I'm doing. It probably hurts me that I've never been big on military history so wanting to create my favorite 30s British cruiser design or whatever plays no part in RTW for me; I'm trying to play it as basically a historical Aurora 4x and it's clearly meant from the ground up to be about modeling historical warship designs.

Other than that... I'm a little disappointed in the division editor. It's an improvement, and it helps a bit with organization, but I was hoping for something I could use to easily keep track of and order around larger fleets and it doesn't work that well for that. I think it would be much better if the division editor included information like class, location, and status without exploding the view (at least assuming all ships in the division were the same, otherwise it could just show "-" or whatever), and maybe had a higher tier organization called a fleet and the ability to drag and drop divisions into it. So I could put the 1st Carrier div, 2nd Heavy Cruiser div, and 4th Destroyer div in the "1st Carrier Fleet" or whatever, and if they were all in the Caribbean it would show "Caribbean" in the location tab for that fleet instead of just being blank. Who knows, maybe that will be patched in later. I can hope, anyways.