Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

bewbies posted:

Some "worst AI ship" submissions, from 1947

It may have lovely guns, but at least it has lovely armor

Looks like it's based on the real world Town-class light cruisers, except reclassified as CA. I wonder if it's an armor configuration thing or does it have too many main guns to be a CL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Gay Hitler posted:

Can anyone help me understand rebuilds? What happens in a rebuild when you arent replacing machinery or guns or fire control that takes 3-4 months?

Normally ships become obsolete 10 years after they are built. Rebuild restarts this clock and gives them another 10 years. (Obsolete ships suffer from increased breakdowns and I think they cost more to maintain.)

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Oh cool, I'm really enjoying this game right now. Just super happy warm feelings.

I've tried playing Russians and I just cannot do it. I don't know if it's because of the Russian genetic stupidity modifier in game or because I'm personally a big loving idiot, but I keep losing every single fight. I engage the enemy fleet with supposedly superior or at worst equal ships and I just never hit anything before half my fleet is sinking. And then you get these cool battles where my BC squadron starts inside the enemy fleet and then they all die during the first minute. loving hell.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Gort posted:

Are you being killed by torpedoes, mostly?

That might indicate you need to keep your distance more with your big ships.

I think my problem is that I’m used to playing on small/medium fleet size setting and this was on large, and I just wasn’t building enough ships

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
That specific battle would have been even if my BCs hadn't died instantly, yeah. Germany had more BBs than me overall and that was an issue in a lot of the earlier fights.

By the way, does anyone know why in RtW 1 you were able to separately command the BC scouting fleet even in Admiral's mode after researching the appropriate tech but in RtW 2 you can't?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Since today is the last day of the RTW1 discount rebate, how much of the launch woes have they fixed the last month? Both in terms of ingame bug and Dean missing emails? Is the game worth buying now or am I better off playing something else until Ultimate Admiral comes out?

They have fixed bugs but there are still some that cause annoying error popups. Air unit management in general is not very smooth but they do work reasonably well in battles when you figure out the ui. I think it’s already a good game but it does still need bug fixes and polish, and since they have been releasing patches regularly I’m pretty confident that most issues will get fixed eventually.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
How much of a trap is box protection on BBs or other ships where armor actually matters? It cuts a lot of weight, and I'm worried that it makes you that much more vulnerable to random flotation hits.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

How do I get my sneak attack destroyers to actually torpedo things? They sail into the harbour, spot ships, and then just spin around a bunch and try to pepper Bs and CAs with 3-inch fire before turning around and running away. They have extra torpedo training so I figured that would help.

Sounds like this is pretty early game? Torpedoes are garbage in the beginning and your DDs have hard time using them because they have lovely range. When you get more torpedo techs they will start shooting them more and more.

edit: to clarify, the AI ships are calculating their own fire solutions and it certainly helps if steer their ships to some sort of optimal speed/range/heading position but there's nothing in the game to help you do this and ultimately they still have to decide to fire on their own.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 26, 2019

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I had a really good game going on as Austria-Hungary and then a battle crashed and I hadn't done a manual save in 10 years.

Oh well maybe 1.07 is going to fix everything.

edit: 1.06 also has a bug that causes my CV air wings to not gain any experience, boo

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 4, 2019

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Roumba posted:

Did it corrupt your autosave?

...uh yeah turns out that I'm an idiot who didn't realize that there is a button for that. Thanks for rescuing my game.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Seaplane tenders should really be cheap recon platforms instead of terrible carriers but the battle generation doesn’t really allow them to perform in that role.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Dreamsicle posted:

Just started my first game as the U.S and I did ok until I lost a war against Germany in the mid 1900s. I have some questions.

1. I usually let the auto-designer do its thing and just modify things to make it better. Is there an easy way to compare autogenerated designs with your current ones to make sure nothing important had to be compromised?
2. How often should I design a new class? Part of the reason I lost was I didn't make any designs for extended times.
3. If it depends on certain techs, what are the most important ones to focus on?
4. I noticed near the end of the war, any time I tried to autogenerate Heavy Cruisers they were Baltimore-class sized at 1905. Is this supposed to happen? I'd like to make those sizes of ships for Bs/BBs.
5. How much of a ship class should I have? I usually do 3-4 B/BBs, 5-6 CA's, 9-10 CL's and 20+ minimum for DDs all in the same class.

1. No, usually the autodesigner does a good job of using the latest tech but it's good idea to check that there's nothing obviously wrong
2. Depends a lot on the situation. Sometimes it's nice save money until and wait for some key techs but usually it's better to spend your budget on construction whenever possible. There's no point in building obsolete ships so if you have new tech then design a new class too.
3. Assuming a 1890 start, the gun techs are very important in the beginning so that you can get rid of the -2 guns. After that, you want ship design to unlock more main turrets in order to build proper dreadnoughts.
4. Building super cruisers that can dominate cruiser battles is very good thing in the early game, yeah. It's bit gamey but very effective. AI can sometimes build funny stuff but usually it sticks somewhat close to historical ships.
5. Depends entirely on the fleet size settings. Use the almanac to compare your fleet with the AI navies, don't fall too much behind or you'll get bad prestige penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Refit when guns and/or engine technology improve.

That’s so expensive though :ohdear:

Personally I refit guns on BBs/BGs occasionally and engines very rarely, basically only when I know that I can get another 10-15 years use out of the ship.