Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah I also have the problem of unarmed CVLs because I can’t figure out how to install new primary guns but you can’t have secondaries when there’s no primary

I think sometimes the ship designer gets confused by the order of operations when converting a design. Try taking your original design, removing all the main guns and then adding the flight deck and some airplane capacity before hitting the check design button to convert to CV or CVL. You should then be able to add new guns without the new turret error coming up.

Also CVs and CVLs will not allow centerline turrets for obvious reasons so any primary guns are limited to the wing turret positions. Don't forget to remove armour from your turrets on conversion to free up tonnage for more aircraft. I haven't tried casemated main guns on carriers but I assume that it works too.

Finally, one of the patches introduced a requirement for a minimum of 8 x 8" guns on converted CVs in the early 1920s. Very lightly armoured twin turrets on the wing positions satisfies this requirement quite well.

Doing some testing with smaller conversions, it appears my method above only works for BC to CV or CL to CVL conversions. My previous CVL conversions were always CLs with wing mounted turrets or AVs with minimal armament which resulted in tiny airgroups. This is really annoying and likely unintended by the devs unless they actually want CA to CVL conversions to be unarmed. A workaround for this would be to build 10,000+ ton AVs with appropriate armament in preparation for conversion an useful CVL once the tech is unlocked.

Zeond fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

bewbies posted:

I'm doing a game as Germany. I won a bunch of wars against Italy and Russia and was finally about equal to the RN. We started our war in 1923.

My fleet was 6 BBs, 6 BCs, 6 CAs, 13 CLs, ~30 odd DDs, and maybe 20 subs (subs had recently been outlawed). Oh, and a cute little carrier.

The RN was 15 BBs, 15 BCs, 1 CL, and ~15 DDs. "Fleet composition" indeed.

I had a couple of excellent super heavy capital ships, but otherwise everything is about equal.

War goes as expected...we're blockaded, raiders and subs are doing their thing against British shipping. There's a couple of actions, I sink a couple of BCs, the British invade all of my overseas holdings.

Then...all of a sudden, someone decides we need to invade...Wales? So I have to take my relatively tiny battle line out to duke it out with the entire Home Fleet. We actually did ok...we sank 4 BCs for the loss of one of ours. A couple of my BBs got all shot to hell, but we didn't lose any, and the invasion fleet made it to Wales. So, major victory and all that. Then...nothing happened. What the hell was that?

Depending on your invasion range tech you may have actually invaded Ireland as I don't think you can invade the main homeland for any country. Check if there are a pair of crossed swords over the possession flag on the map. It's also very likely that the invasion failed immediately as you don't control the seas around the invasion target.

Invasions can be very random even in the planning stages. Twice I've been in a war with Russia playing as Germany for about 20 months each trying to launch an invasion of the Baltic states the entire war but the invasion never launches. I figured you can take the possession for 10 points on victory so it must be invadeable but twice so far it has done nothing but drain my budget for close to 40 months total.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

This game can be quite satisfying. Its interface and theme are not for everyone but I can think of few games that give you a similar feeling of satisfaction when seeing your enemy's whole battlefleet explode and slip beneath the waves. Air strikes can be particularly satisfying.

Talking about carriers, do the deck park and deck-edge lift options for carriers actually do anything? I'm in 1935 and unlocked both techs so I'm rebuilding old carriers but nothing changes when I check the boxes. They don't even increase the cost or change the displacement of the ship. Same when designing a CV from scratch, not even a change to the spot value.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

So it makes the planes get ready for strikes faster.
Deck catapults lets you launch recon and CAP without turning into the wind.
Deck parking is not mentioned in the manual, so who knows.

That's what the manual says but I see no effect on the ship designer window when clicking on the deck-edge lift or deck park boxes. No changes to the displayed spot value, ship cost or displacement.

In fact, when I try to rebuild a carrier that has been specifically rebuilt to add those options they come up unchecked. Maybe something is bugged on my game or there's a hidden constraint on the design like the max 12" of belt armor for BCs designed after 1915.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

One thing to keep in mind when designing KEs is that the minimum size needed to mount 4 K-guns (significant improvement to ASW to capabilities) is 900 tons.

I've gotten into the habit of building and keeping some 36 900 ton KEs with max ASW capabilities mothballed between wars to have a force ready for trade protection immediately upon war. While a 500 ton KE takes only 4 months to build but they will be only half as capable as the larger ships and minesweepers, with even less ASW capability, get priority in building early in a war.

Zeond fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 18, 2019

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone know how to move air units out of the naval reserve?

In the air groups screen, select the unit, left click and drag over to the air group you want it moved to in list on the left panel. Grognard game UI design is an after thought at best.

Two things that could use serious UI improvements in this game are strategic zone movement for ships and transferring of air groups. Cancelling a move order for a ship is a headache and moving an experienced air wing to a new carrier/base is a totally unnecessary click and drag fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The USA sold me 20-inch guns as France and I built a pair of monster battlecruisers which were supposed to be fast enough to get into position to kill everything at huge ranges.

They both spawned as part of the AI-controlled scouting force in a fleet battle, sailed into the German battle line and died instantly :negative:

There is an option in the preferences screen to turn off the AI controlled support force. I've kept mine turned off since RTWI as I've never seen the AI do anything other than sail around uselessly or blunder into a superior force.